Cooking at Home

ChiFlyer

Blackened Fish with Side Dishes

I found this recipe that was intended for a sandwich. IMO, the last thing it needed was bread. I make it as a stand alone fish dish with sides.

https://www.eatthis.com/blackened-fish-sandwich-recipe/?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=msn-feed

This approach has worked out well for me. I use Emeril Lagasee's Bayou Blast spice recipe for a Cajun Blackening spice rub. Others might have different preferences. I would make about 50% of the Lagasee recipe as the Onion Powder ingredient causes it to harden rather quickly.  

https://www.emerils.com/121705/emerils-essence-creole-seasoning-also-referred-bayou-blast

Anyway a few pics.

Off of the pan

Blackened Fish with sides - A.jpg

Sides

Blackened Fish with sides - B.jpg

Blackened Fish with sides - C.jpg

Plated

Blackened Fish with sides - D.jpg

• Like 1

Sichuan Pork in Garlic Sauce

I made this tonight for the GF and her visiting son. It was in general well received. I substituted celery for the water chestnuts and my Thai diners did not like the celery. Of course they did not complain, but I saw it being spooned over to the side of the plate. Myself I am not all that fond of water chestnuts. That was why I did the substitution. I guess I will go back to the water chestnuts, as I do not hate them.

This is an America's Test Kitchen (ATK) recipe, so I only have a pdf file.

Sichuan stir-fried pork in garlic sauce.pdf

I added a shot of Sriracha Sauce to the sauce in order to up the heat. I seldom see "Country-Style Boneless Pork Ribs" available in the Pattaya area, so I went with Loin Chops. The ingredient listed in the recipe is a fattier cut of pork loin. I really like my version of this Sichuan Suce.

A few pics:

Ready to Serve

Sichuan Pork in Garlic Sauce - A.jpg

Ready to Eat

Sichuan Pork in Garlic Sauce - B.jpg

Edited by ChiFlyer

Guy Fieri's Mojo (Cuban) Pork Chops

I am not really a huge fan of Guy Fieri nor do I have anything negative to say about him. Anyway, 10 years ago (?) I was channel surfing on a Saturday afternoon back in the US and his show covered this recipe. At the time I was building my home recipe inventory and I thought this one sounded interesting. I still make it twice a year or so.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/cuban-pork-chops-with-mojo-recipe-1947717

A few comments:

• This recipe is written for American style bone-in pork chops. The available Thai version is too large and fatty for my tastes, so I use pork loin chops. Pork loin chops are rather bland, but when used in a flavorful sauce such as this one, they can be very good.
  • For the citric fruit juices go with fresh oranges and limes. The taste is so much better than store bought juices. Juicing the fruits does not take that long, if you have a half decent hand juicer. This is a very low cost essential (IMO) kitchen tool. 

A few pics.

Ready to serve

Cuban Pork Chops - A.jpg

Plated

Cuban Pork Chops - B.jpg

Szechuan Shrimp

Ready for some heat?

This post is a combination of two recipes. When I saw the recipe for the Szechuan Shrimp, I did not like at all the way the author had dumbed down the Szechuan Sauce. In all fairness she said that was her objective. Me I like the heat and IMO it is a main thing that is part of any Szechuan recipe. I decided to make my own Szechuan Sauce and then go back to the stir fry recipe to finish things.

Some general notes:

• I think that both recipes call for Sherry. This is an often used substitute for Chinese Shao Xing Rice Wine (in the US where the rice wine used to be a little difficult to find). Shao Zing is the preferred way to go and not at all difficult to find in Thailand. I bought mine from Lazada. At this time I think it has become easier to find in the US as well.

I used this recipe for the Szechuan Sauce

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/recipes/szechuan-sauce/

Notes on the sauce.

• I pretty much followed the full recipe including the Chinese 5 Spice and the szechuan peppercorns.
  • I also added the corn starch slurry to thicken the sauce at the end of preparing the sauce. I used the 1 TBSP amount because more corn starch is called for in the stir fry.
  • I also added 1 TBSP of Sambal Olek (Red Chili Paste).
  • I did not add the garlic or ginger because they were called for in the stir fry as well. I really prefer using fresh Garlic and Ginger as opposed to the bottled powders versions that the sauce recipe author suggested.
  • I cut back the Red Pepper Flakes to 1/2 tsp again because these are also called for in the stir fry.
  • The sauce recipe can be made ahead of time. I made mine in the early afternoon for use that night.
  • Personally, I thought that the sauce turned out fantastic. The GF agreed.

Here is the recipe for the stir fry. As usual with a stir fry have everything prepared to go into the pot before you start cooking. Stir fries are usually done at a very high heat. Ain't no time available for prep work once one begins cooking.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/szechuan-shrimp

This was my first try at this recipe. It turned out really well. The GF loved it.

A few pics

Ready to serve

Szechuan Shrimp - A.jpg

Plated

Szechuan Shrimp - B.jpg

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oven Baked Paella

Ok - the title alone has any true paella lover gritting his teeth and muttering venomous obscenities. This is an imitation paella that works well with the more limited condo kitchens one finds in Pattaya. It has one saving grace -> it tastes pretty damn good.

There are two recipes that bring this together. The first is for making a seafood (shrimp in this case) broth. This is detailed near the beginning of Alton Brown's Shrimp Gumbo recipe. The recipe is quite simple -> take all the shrimp heads and shells, put them in 2 quarts of water, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for one hour. This should yield about a quart of shrimp broth.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shrimp-gumbo-recipe-1946875

Actually, this Gumbo recipe is pretty good as well. I have not made it in a while and should get it into the schedule.

The following link is the one I used as a base for the baked paella.

https://paellarecipes.top/oven-paella-with-chicken-shrimp-and-chorizo/

I had a different link that I had used for years, but it went 404 at some point. This recipe is similar, but (well) a little sloppily written in places.

I altered the recipe some.

• I used Arborio rice instead of Bamba. This was a matter of convenience on my part. The important thing is use a short grain rice.
  • I used Mexican Chorizo. Spanish or Portuguese would be better, but I did not see those anywhere.
  • I upped the freshly ground black pepper to 1 tsp.
  • I upped the saffron to 1 tsp. Saffron is a key to this dish. I chose to accent it more heavily than the author did. Yes, saffron is expensive, but it brings great flavor. Also, I did not toast the saffron and see no reason why anyone would. Instead I bloomed it in the hot shrimp broth. 
  • The author's grated tomatoes did not make much sense to me (read like more effort than it would be worth), so I went with one 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes. Worked well I thought.
  • The author does not say if the baking phase is covered or uncovered. I chose to cover for 15 minutes and then do 10 minutes uncovered, followed by another 10 minutes uncovered after the seafood is added.
  • Oh as a side note I bought the shrimp and mussels at a market on Boon Kachana about half way between Jomtien 2nd Road and Sukhumvit. It is on the left side of the street coming from Jomtien 2nd Road. The shrimp, as always, was very good. The mussels (hard to find in Banglamung) were ok.

A few pics (hmm - the new iPhone 14 camera is impressive compared to the old XS)

Ready to serve

Paella - A.jpg

Plated

Paella - B.jpg

• Like 1

Chicken Shawarma

I never made this before. I used to like buying Shawarma when I was in the PI. Yes, I know that it is basically a Mid-Eastern food, but there were several places in both Manila and Angeles that made versions that I liked. The GF of the time was fond of them as well.

I noticed this recipe and decided to give it a try.

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a26092675/best-chicken-shawarma-recipe/

I pretty much followed the recipe with a few exceptions.

• I did a 5 hour marinade of the chicken. 8 would have been better, but my lazy ass rolled out of bed a little behind schedule today.
  • I cut back the cumin by 50% as the GF does not like the smell.
  • I served the various toppings (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, yogurt sauce) separately so that each person could add on what and how much that they wanted.
  • I was not happy with the pitas that were available at the store. They were too small and too thick. The taste was good, but they could not wrap up the works without making a mess. I may buy larger tortillas next time.

Both the GF and myself really liked the overall taste.

A few pics

Chicken and Onions (after I had grabbed a little)

Chicken Shwarma - A.jpg

The toppings

Chicken Shwarma - B.jpg

A plated pita

Chicken Shwarma - C.jpg 

• Like 2

Spaghetti Aglio e Olio (Garlic and Oil) - A Gian's Imitation

Spaghetti Aglio e Olio is a common Italian pasta recipe. It is tasty and can be on the table in less than an hour. There are countless versions for this recipe. I have always been a fan of the version served at Gian's in Jomtien, so I decided to imitate that one. Did I succeed? Not entirely, but what I came up with was pretty good.

This is another combination of things recipe, with the first part being my recipe for some of the ingredients and then combining that with a standing recipe.

With regard to the my ingredients recipe.

• Heat 1 TBSP of good Olive Oil (I use Colavita EVOO) over high heat in a 12" saute pan.
  • Place 3 Italian Sausage links (quality matters - I used the Jet Italian product) in the heated oil. Turn down heat to medium-high and break up the sausages with a wooden spoon. One needs to remove the casings from the sausages before adding to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes stirring often and then remove the sausages with a slotted spoon to a plate.
  • Deglaze the fond with about 1/4 cup of good White Wine.
  • Add another 1 TBSP of good EVOO to the pan and heat again. Add 2 small eggplants that had previously been peeled and then diced into about 1/4" cubes to the pan. Lightly salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes stirring often and then remove again with a slotted spoon to the same plate with the sausage.

At this time switch over to a trusted Aglio e Olio recipe. I decided to go with one from Ina Garten. I cut everything in this recipe by 50%, or it would have been too much food.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/spaghetti-aglio-e-olio-recipe-2043225

As the recipe says -> DO NOT BURN the Garlic. If one burns the garlic-oil, throw it in the toilet and start over again with the garlic-oil step. You want to get it just toasting. When you add the pasta water to the garlic sauce be careful not to burn yourself with splashes from the oil and water combination. Obviously, one should not be at high-heat at this point. Also after the pasta water is added, one should deglaze the pan again. Deglazing a pan adds taste as long as the fond is not burned.

Basically, I have said several times -> stir frequently, do not burn. This requires attention, so like a stir fry have all of the ingredients prepared before one starts cooking. 

As a side note I used Pecorino Romano instead of Parmesan. It is a little more robust IMO and I thought that worked better for this recipe.

A few pics

Ready to serve

Spaghetti Aglio e Olio - A.jpg

Plated

Spaghetti Aglio e Olio - B.jpg

The GF very much liked this dish in a big way. She even took a little over to a Thai neighbor who was working her way through some problems.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 2

Shrimp Etouffee - Cajun Food

I am not a huge fan of Cajun Food, but I do like it from time to time. I have never made this recipe before, but decided to give it a try. It turned out well.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/shrimp-etouffee-3645379

Although his name is not all over the main recipe, I am pretty sure that this is an Emeril Lagasse recipe. There are 3 recipes embedded within the link (the main Etoufee recipe, the creole seasoning, and the shrimp stock). The later two are definitely from Emeril.

I had posted a quick recipe for Shrimp Stock in the Paella post of October 29th. The one in this link is more flavorful IMO. Actually, I like it a lot better.

I use Emeril's "Bayou Blast" for both my Cajun and blackening recipes. As a warning, only make about 1/3rd of the amounts listed in the recipe. Due to the Onion Powder it tends to cake quickly.    

Keep your eye on the pan for the raux step. It is easy to go from almost ready to trashed in a hurry. Do not be using high heat for the raux step despite a temptation to get things done.

Oh, and once again, despite this not being a high heat recipe, things happen quickly so have your ingredients ready up until one hits the 45 minute simmer step.

Anyway a few pics.

Ready to serve

Shrimp Etouffee - A.jpg

Plated

Shrimp Etouffee - B.jpg

Edited by ChiFlyer

Moroccan Chicken and Couscous

I came across this Martha Stewart recipe over 10 years ago, when I was initially putting together my home cooking recipe inventory. I still make it twice a year and enjoy it as much as I did when I first started preparing it. I am not a huge fan of Moroccan cooking, but I enjoy the intensity of the flavors from time to time.

https://www.marthastewart.com/282065/moroccan-spiced-chicken

Of the seven spices (coriander, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, cardamom, salt, and pepper) I think that only the cardamom might be a little difficult to find. I am pretty certain that I bought a small bottle of ground cardamom from Lazada. A few suggestions:

• Although the recipe says cut up a whole chicken, I use bone-in chicken thighs. Trim any excess skin/fat from the thighs. A good kitchen scissors works well for this. You should only have skin covering the meat.
  • The lemon sections are essential. After baking the lemon juice is delicious. Squeeze a little onto both the chicken and couscous.

Here is a standard recipe for the couscous.

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/couscous.html

I embellish the couscous recipe considerably.

• I bring only the chicken stock to a near boil and then take it off heat. I add a good pinch of saffron to the heated stock and let it bloom while the chicken is baking.
  • When the chicken comes out of the oven, I resume the couscous recipe. I add to it some raisins and chopped pecans with the couscous. Works well for me.

A few pics

Chicken

Moroccan Chicken and Couscous - A.jpg

Couscous

Moroccan Chicken and Couscous - B.jpg

Plated

Moroccan Chicken and Couscous - C.jpg

On 9/4/2022 at 5:15 PM, Glasseye said:

No pics..... but I recently discovered these small clams in packets (meat section Rimping Market).

I Sautee them up in some olive oil and butter, spices, hot sauce, salt etc. Get a good sauce of the juices mixed up and pour them over rice. Very cheap (about 60 baht), and very tasty....

Sounds good. Are these clams similar to what are sold in the US as "Little Neck Clams"?  I really like using those for a "Linguine in Clam Sauce" recipe. I really have not found a good substitute here in the Pattaya area.

Rack of Lamb with Roasted Potatoes

I enjoy doing something fancy every so often. As an attribute to my blue collar upbringing I consider "Rack of Lamb" to be something fancy. I made this recipe for the first time about 10 years ago and still make it about twice a year. The TGF gives me a high rating on this one.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/lamb-with-red-wine-sauce-3057947

This is not a difficult recipe to make and takes a little over an hour. Frozen Lamb Racks can be bought at both Villa Market and the Jomtien Makro. I prefer the ones from VM as they are properly Frenched.

I make zero changes from the recipe.

I usually serve as a side "Roasted Red Potatoes". The "New Potatoes" referenced in the following recipe are not available in Pattaya, but somewhat larger versions are at VM. Just do a little more cutting.  

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robin-miller/roasted-red-potatoes-with-rosemary-recipe-1916877

I peel the potatoes as the TGF does not like the taste of the skins. If it was just me, I would wash but not peel the potatoes. Not a big deal from my point of view.

A few pics.

Lamb

Rack of Lamb - A.jpg

Potatoes

Rack of Lamb - B.jpg

Plated

Rack of Lamb - C.jpg

It was absolutely delicious.

Braised Pork Tacos in a Citrus Sauce

This recipe is not the easiest thing to make due to several reasons that I will get into, but it is worth the effort IMO. Great taste, again IMO.

This is an ATK recipe so I can only post a pdf file directly from the source. I did see some postings from other sources that had the same recipe, but the ATK pdf one was the best organized content wise and also had some additional tips.

Pork Tacos.pdf

Several comments follow:

• I have never seen the frozen concentrated orange juice ingredient available at any Pattaya area store that I frequent or online in Thailand as well. I borrowed a step from another recipe to make an alternative. I will post that link at the end of the comments.
  • Pork shoulder goes by many names throughout the world. In the US it is frequently called Pork Butt. Makro on Sukhumvit in Jomtien usually has a lot of it. They call it Pork Collar. Try to find a leaner piece and cut out any hard fat. Make sure to get a boneless cut.
  • The mash the meat with a Potato masher step near the end of the recipe does not work for me. I pull the meat out to a cheap cutting board and chop it into small pieces. I break it up a little more with a wooden spoon during the final condense the liquid step.
  • This is a 3-4 hour operation with a lot of that being wait for the oven braise step to complete. I temp the pork, when I think it is done and look for 165F.

Here is the step from the home made orange concentrate. A word of warning -> this is one of those things that can go from not quite done to scorched in a hurry. Keep an eye on it near he end. How do I know this? 🙄 Also this step was originally written as an ingredient to a salad dressing. Up the ingredients to 4 Naval Oranges for the tacos. Look at step 2.

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/kelsey-nixon/roasted-beet-salad-with-oranges-and-creamy-goat-cheese-dressing-2109332

Enough bs I guess. Time for a few pics.

Taco Filling ready to serve

Pork Tacos -A.jpg

Condiments and Tortillas - I like to put these out separately, so each person can choose what and how much they want. The TGF scoffed up much of the Jalapeno Peppers in record time. The stuff in the reddish mason jar are the pickled red onions from the main recipe. Very tasty. Takes a little over a half  hour to make using simple ingredients. Great condiment for many things.  

Pork Tacos -B.jpg

A plated taco

Pork Tacos -C.jpg

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 2

Jerk Chicken

As an American I am not that much of a tradionalist. The TGF does not care for turkey and actually neither do I. Going out to a restaurant for the American holidays here in Thailand is roughly equivalent to burning money IMO. The food is over-priced and not that good. I decided to make Jerk Chicken with a side of Corn on the Cob.

The following recipe is poorly written IMO, but gets the job done. One needs to read it a few times to understand what is being said. A point of interest is that the freshness of the spices matters. One should not keep things like peppercorns, nutmeg, allspice, etc. beyond one year.

Also with those types of spices it is better to use a mortar and pestle as opposed to a coffee blade grinder. A blade grinder damages the oils from spices like the ones mentioned above. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jerk-chicken-recipe0-1908640#communityReviews

Pics

Jerk Chicken

Jerk Chicken - A.jpg

Corn on the Cob - (I like to steam my corn for about 10 minutes)

Jerk Chicken - B.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Jerk Chicken

As an American I am not that much of a tradionalist. The TGF does not care for turkey and actually neither do I. Going out to a restaurant for the American holidays here in Thailand is roughly equivalent to burning money IMO. The food is over-priced and not that good. I decided to make Jerk Chicken with a side of Corn on the Cob.

The following recipe is poorly written IMO, but gets the job done. One needs to read it a few times to understand what is being said. A point of interest is that the freshness of the spices matters. One should not keep things like peppercorns, nutmeg, allspice, etc. beyond one year.

Also with those types of spices it is better to use a mortar and pestle as opposed to a coffee blade grinder. A blade grinder damages the oils from spices like the ones mentioned above. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jerk-chicken-recipe0-1908640#communityReviews

Pics

Jerk Chicken

Jerk Chicken - A.jpg

Corn on the Cob - (I like to steam my corn for about 10 minutes)

Jerk Chicken - B.jpg

Next year I'm inviting myself over to your place for Thanksgiving dinner. :default_cheers:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Going out to a restaurant for the American holidays here in Thailand is roughly equivalent to burning money IMO. The food is over-priced and not that good.

Well Said!!

7 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

The TGF does not care for turkey and actually neither do I.

I love the neck, wings, thigh and drumsticks for different meals at different times of the day but since CP Whoops! I meant the Government!, started restricting the import of Turkeys because of bird flu what seems like YONKS ago, I haven't had the pleasure. I have, however, asked my sons to buy what they can fit in their freezers over Xmas ready for my visit next year ....Oh Yeah !!! 

Roast Pork with a Garlic Balsamic Vinaigrette and Potato Pancakes

I usually make this early in the overall holiday season.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/roasted-pork-loin-with-roasted-garlic-vinaigrette-recipe-2012587

This is a little holiday fancy, but not all that difficult to make. My one piece of advice is to buy large garlic bulbs for the roast garlic. They are easier to cut in half. Cut them slowly, as it is easy to have one split and cut oneself.

This year I decided to make potato pancakes as a side. I messed those up a little by mixing up the batter a little too soon. Still they had a good taste and the GF really liked them.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/country-potato-pancakes/

A few pics

The Roast Pork with the Vinaigrette

Roast Pork - A.jpg

Potato Pancakes - I served a little applesauce to go with the pancakes

Roast Pork - B.jpg

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 2

Chicken Cacciatore with Shells

I can't remember the last time that I made this dish, but it certainly has been a while. I was scrolling through my recipes list and I noticed it and decided to give it a go.

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/kelsey-nixon/chicken-cacciatore-1960941

I tend to like Kelsey Nixon's recipes. They tend to be straight forward and well explained. A few quick notes on this one.

• She does not call it out in the recipe, but like many dishes getting the fond and deglazing right are important. Keep the heat moderately high for the chicken and veggie steps, so as not to burn the fond. Black fond does not taste good and may take your dish to inedible. Also, when the veggies are added start scrapping the fond then. The liquid from the veggies can be used to begin the deglazing process. This also guards against burning the fond. After the wine is added finish off the deglazing.

The dish turned out really well IMO and it will not be as long until I repeat it.

A few pics

Ready to serve

Chicken Cacciatore - A.jpg

The pasta - I decided to use shells instead of the crusty bread mentioned in the recipe. I like the way shells hold a sauce.

Chicken Cacciatore - B.jpg

Plated

Chicken Cacciatore - C.jpg

Mongolian Beef to be served over Jasmin Rice

https://thewoksoflife.com/mongolian-beef-recipe/#recipe

I have made this recipe several times and very much like the taste. As the author points out one can tailor the recipe to their personal tastes. I did the following:

• I went much heavier on the minced ginger and garlic.
  • I changed the sauce components -> replaced 1 TBSP of soy sauce with 1 TBSP of fish sauce, added some heat (I hit it with a strong shot of Sriracha sauce, 1 TBSP of Sambal Olek might be better).
  • I used Sesame Oil for the marinade.

Only one pic.

Mongolian Beef.jpg

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Chicken Marsala with Pasta Shells

This recipe has a little longer preparation time at about 2 hours. I had not made it in a while, so I invited a Canadian buddy over who lives in the building. He has been a help with checking out the pool/villa purchase and I wanted to say thanks. He is a former home builder.

Everyone was pretty well wow'd by the meal, if I do say so myself.

This is an ATK recipe, so it is not available online. Here is a pdf for the recipe. There is some noise near the bottom of one page, but I find the recipe to be readable.

ATK Chicken Marsala.pdf

There are a couple of items that may be a little more difficult to find here in the Pattaya area, but all are doable.

·       Marsala Wine – Villa Market carries it near the far end of the alcohol isle. Pic to follow.

·       Pancetta – Stilo Italiano (on Jomtien Second Road near soi 5) has excellent Italian Deli products. Only open from 12 to 5. Link to follow.

·       Gelatin – Available at Villa Market near the Corn Starch.

Marsala Wine Pic

Chicken Marsala Wine.jpg

Stilo Italiano link

https://www.officinadelprosciutto.com/

Pic of the meal ready to serve.

Chicken Marsala.jpg

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Chicken Chow Mein

This is another ATK recipe so no ink is available. Here is a PDF with the recipe.

Chicken Chow Mein.pdf

This is relatively quick at about 1 hour. The ingredients are readily available in Pattaya and this is a helathier option as well. It turned out well and the soon t be Thai Wife enjoyed it as well.

I deviated from the recipe in a few ways with regard to the sauce.

• I reduced the soy sauce by 1 TBSP and replaced that with 1 TBSP of fish sauce.
  • I added 1 TBSP of Sambal Oelek. This is Indonesian/Thai red chilli sauce that has a great flavor. Lazada carries it.

Ready to serve.

Chicken Chow Mein.jpg

Crispy Orange Beef

I was on a roll with ATK American-Chinese recipes this weekend. The Thai Wife's sister and her new (as far as I know) friend came over for dinner. The recipe.

Crispy Orange Beef.pdf

I usually make this dish with Flat Iron Beef (need to order from Sloane's or Passion), as I have no idea where I could possibly find Flap Meat in Banglamung. Since I needed to double the recipe at the last minute, I used a combination of Flat Iron and Flank. The combo worked well.

Read the recipe closely on how to cut the beef. In previous attempts, after reviewing the recipe, I realized I had been cutting up the pieces too small. This caused them to stick together during the soy and corn starch step.

The meal was appreciated by all. There were no leftovers. I did once again add 1TBSP of Sambal Oelek to the sauce along with replacing 1 TBSP of soy sauce with fish sauce. Do not salt your beef as it completes the frying step. Your end result may become too salty.

Ready to serve.

Crispy Orange Beef.jpg