Do you think "buying" a lounge pass is worthwhile?

Butch

Pre Covid I had Barclays Travel insurance, which for £18 pcm gave me free RAC roadside recovery, multi trip TI for the entire family and 6 free lounge passes for use worldwide with "dragonpass".

I used 4 of the passes, plus had a few trips with the TI but then binned it when covid struck.

The LHR T2 lounge was OK, free wifi and food, free beer etc, but the food wasn't that great, although it was handy to grab some pepsi for the flight, plus very comfy. Coming back was one of the Miracle first class lounges in Swampy, and it was awesome, great food, I had a lovely shower and availed of the complimentary beers and it was well worth it.

Looking now, I don't need TI or Roadside recovery (touch wood), but lounge passes aren't cheap. Plaza premium through a one off with Dragonpass is £26.86, I really don't think it's worth the cost, but coming from Thailand to the UK, it might well be (for the same price).

I know that biz class gives lounges as part of the ticket, but I'm on about actually purchasing one if you're travelling Econ or PE.

• Like 1

Worth it Butch. I love trying out different lounges.

Quiet calm and relaxing and some Istanbul, Munich and Toronto have been amazing.

Swampy ones have almost all opened up again so yep fill yer boots. £26.86 for a one off probably not worth it but if multiple visits yep... 

• Like 2

Not bought one myself but with the cost of airport food and drink it could pay for itself, especially if you like a good guzzle.

Reminds me of the time I flew with Qatar one trip. Had a nice chunk of cash left so asked at check in how much to upgrade to business class. 150 quid from Bangkok to Doha, they could only do the first leg at Bangkok. Must have drunk that amount in Champaign on the flight.🤣

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Absolutely, definitely, unequivocally, without a doubt worth it!

I always start my trips in a lounge getting pissed and getting fed. They call you forward when REAL boarding starts, then I wobble from side to side up the aisle, bashing my belly into the faces of the rich people and farting in the faces of others. Plonk yerself down and ring the bell for a G&T.

Class!

Is there no end to your many talents 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Absolutely, definitely, unequivocally, without a doubt worth it!

I always start my trips in a lounge getting pissed and getting fed. They call you forward when REAL boarding starts, then I wobble from side to side up the aisle, bashing my belly into the faces of the rich people and farting in the faces of others. Plonk yerself down and ring the bell for a G&T.

Class!

State I would be in back in some of my trips, miracle immigration let me in. Would be smashed on booze and Xanax, could just about walk.

Especially when EVA would serve non stop drinks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, galenkia said:

Not bought one myself but with the cost of airport food and drink it could pay for itself, especially if you like a good guzzle.

Reminds me of the time I flew with Qatar one trip. Had a nice chunk of cash left so asked at check in how much to upgrade to business class. 150 quid from Bangkok to Doha, they could only do the first leg at Bangkok. Must have drunk that amount in Champaign on the flight.🤣

Yep, doing the maths it does work out, given that Beer is £5 a pint, and the cheapest sit down scoff is going to sting you £10 upwards at LHR so it does make sense, another few drinks and by the time you've lifted a few cokes and sarnies from the "take away" fridge it all adds up. That's as long as they keep giving out free beer and food!.

There was a 4 hour time limit on my passes previously though, but in all truth I think the staff at the desk are pretty chilled out about it.

Edited by Butch
  • Thumbs Up 1

I had a dodgy Airport Angels pass, which was what Barclay's offered before Dragonpass. I "bought" it off eBay as some account holders could gift one to a partner so some anonymous bloke sold me his spare for £30.  Great value for 6 lounge passes I  thought, but it got better as the card got renewed every year until Airport Angels went bust (at least 5 years, maybe more).  I don't think the guy knew what he was selling with the auto renewal but who was I to complain?

I would always prefer a lounge but it's value for money needs to be worked out.  You need a decent food and drink menu which is lacking in many of the airport, rather than airline, lounges but there are some steals where Priority Pass, Dragonpass etc get you into one of the real airline lounges so definitely fill your boots if that is the case.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just try not to get a lounge that has flights to Mumbai or Delhi.

Remember back in the day just before boarding Indians literally pulling everything out of fridges, buffets and stuffing them into bags almost frenzied. Poor old Thai staff tried their best but horrible sight ....... not seen it for a few years so ... 

Sikhs are however great fun in the lounges and usually prop up the bars great company.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

For sure it’s worth it. I never made the actual obvious comparison as @Butch made above comparing airport bar prices for drinks bs all-you-can-drink, but that’s good arithmetic ! 

2018-19 I got an AMEX with a huge annual fee, for me, of $500. Plan was to use signup bonus to reach 75K miles for one way in business to Swampy. Included free lounge access too. 12 months I had the card, flew only once to see family, and had a 7:30 am going out- no drinks! Coming in was 7 pm, Dad dropped me off at 3 so I could indulge. Didn’t have too much, 2 pints and 4 triple vodkas,  but it’s awesome just walking into a decent buffet with unlimited liquor on tap. What pissed me off was at YUL, the international lounge is so much better, I read even if your AMEX was only good for domestic, you just say “pretty please” and you’re in. Well I did, but they still said “sorry we can’t” 

Anyway, thank God I was loaded for the flight, It left late, and was the WORST turbulence by far I ever experienced. Sobered up very fast, lasted about an hour, and watching Crazy Rich Asians really calmed me down. Loved that movie, watched it many times since

But if you’re ever in Canada, do your homework and make sure you’re in the best lounge, they’re not all equal

• Great Info 1

Never seen Thai Lounge so busy as last night. It's huge these days with at least 3 bars and loads of buffets for every taste.

I'm not a spirits drinker but unlimited if that is your thing. Food looked really good too and they kept changing it.

Only downside one really noisy Indian (again) jabbering away loudly on his phone and then a sodding Russian starts barking out loudly too. Lounges are usually so quiet and peaceful ...... great places before flying.

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoy the lounges for the peace and quiet they offer. I also have no problem with holding up a finger to my lips in the universal signal to be quiet if there's a loud talker standing or sitting nearby.

I'm also an outlier in this crowd as I never drink alcohol when traveling.