Anybody having problems with receiving OTPs from UK Gov Gateway account?

My specific problem is receiving my access code for my UK Gov Gateway account. I want to check my Tax rebate!

It has worked perfectly for years until about a month ago. It still displays the last 4 digits of my DTAC phone number correctly but then nothing happens. No code received!

I started the process of changing numbers but couldn't get passed the 2 required pieces of information (Can you remember when you first applied for a credit card??)

Anyways. I sent them a message ...

...Anybody else with the same problem??

Edited by Derek Dangleberries

15 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Just tried mine DD and waited 10 mins, nothing arrived WTF !!! so i tried again, same result NFG.

Thank f**k it is not just me!! (Sorry to say that!)

I knew that somebody else on here had a Gateway account which is why I started the thread. Comforting to know it isn't just me!

I have used this service for fucking years so I am sure they have been "tinkering". As I said in the OP I have sent an email and they promise to reply within 2 days.

Add a bit of pressure and complain too!!

HMRC online support <[email protected]>

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Thank f**k it is not just me!! (Sorry to say that!)

I knew that somebody else on here had a Gateway account which is why I started the thread. Comforting to know it isn't just me!

I have used this service for fucking years so I am sure they have been "tinkering". As I said in the OP I have sent an email and they promise to reply within 2 days.

Add a bit of pressure and complain too!!

HMRC online support <[email protected]>

So have i been using for years and i have never had a problem up until now. I have sent them emails before and NEVER had a reply but they've always actioned my request !!!

• Great Info 1

29 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Perhaps if there is a Mod in the house they could remove DTAC from the thread title..

You should be able to make the topic title change yourself by editing the first post. As the OP you can edit both the post and the topic title. I've also used the Report Post option to bring your request to the attention of the mod team.

• Thanks 1

• Derek Dangleberries changed the title to Anybody having problems with receiving OTPs from UK?
6 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I have sent them emails before and NEVER had a reply but they've always actioned my request !!!

I have received a reply ..

"Government Gateway has moved to a new communications provider. Your access code may arrive from a telephone number you do not know........Please contact your phone supplier to check if our numbers are being identified as junk or spam. They can then remove the block from your phone....
Your handset may also be capable of blocking, please consult your device settings to ensure our numbers are not being blocked."

Fuckers admit to making changes but want me to cross check with DTAC first!

Did you also send an email???

• Thumbs Up 1

• Derek Dangleberries changed the title to Anybody having problems with receiving OTPs from UK Gov Gateway account?
2 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

"Government Gateway has moved to a new communications provider. Your access code may arrive from a telephone number you do not know........Please contact your phone supplier to check if our numbers are being identified as junk or spam. They can then remove the block from your phone....
Your handset may also be capable of blocking, please consult your device settings to ensure our numbers are not being blocked."

Tell 'em fuk 'em. "You made the changes, up to you to make sure it works as before".

In the old days SMSs were dependent upon agreements between individual carriers. e.g some pommy carrier and DTAC had an agreement to carry each others SMSs.

This should have been sorted by SMS hubs. A third party provides inter-connectivity with every one.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

@tommy dee

When you are feeling better, please can you use the power of radio to spread the word.

Last week you were in Bangkok rubbing knobs with the Embassy hoy polloy, can you spread the word amongst them too...This is a UK Gov problem!!

I had a similar problem with my Oz bank when I lived there.

The bank would only send OTP codes to Oz phone numbers because of the inter-connectivity issues I mentioned earlier.

The solution was the bank supplied one of these

image.png

Pressing the button generated the OTP code.

The only downside was if you lost the token or it failed you had to present yourself in person at a bank branch with the necessary ID to get a new one.

The battery lasts 7-10 years and gives a 6 month warning that it's running out. I'm on my third one and have never had any problems with it.

Tell the UK gummymint to get with the program.

• Great Info 2

14 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Nahh i did'nt send them an email regarding this particular issue, i was referring to previous emails i had sent them.

Their reply to you is somewhat confusing, WTF do they mean "  Your access code may arrive from a telephone number you do not know......." WTF has that got to do with the issue, i've never had a problem until NOW getting OTP from them !!! They've admitted to changing the system and its clearly NOT WORKING, up to them to sort it.

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Nahh i did'nt send them an email regarding this particular issue, i was referring to previous emails i had sent them.

Their reply to you is somewhat confusing, WTF do they mean "  Your access code may arrive from a telephone number you do not know......." WTF has that got to do with the issue, i've never had a problem until NOW getting OTP from them !!! They've admitted to changing the system and its clearly NOT WORKING, up to them to sort it.

Yep, for sure it was a standard fop off response but after I replied they said a colleague was looking into it.

I don't even think that this is only Thailand related ...it could possible be a world wide problem.

A "TSB" style f**k up!!!!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/15/2022 at 1:52 AM, Derek Dangleberries said:

My specific problem is receiving my access code for my UK Gov Gateway account. I want to check my Tax rebate!

It has worked perfectly for years until about a month ago. It still displays the last 4 digits of my DTAC phone number correctly but then nothing happens. No code received!

Potential Solution:

On your mobile change from automatically selecting the network to manually selecting.  After a search (may take a minute or two) it should show up all available networks so choose one of the other suppliers and get the Gateway to re-send an SMS.  Change it back to auto when you're done.

Please let us know if it works.

38 minutes ago, KWA said:

Potential Solution:

On your mobile change from automatically selecting the network to manually selecting.  After a search (may take a minute or two) it should show up all available networks so choose one of the other suppliers and get the Gateway to re-send an SMS.  Change it back to auto when you're done.

Please let us know if it works.

It is a DTAC SIM and "failed to register" on  the other available networks. (Which is what I expected to happen)

EDIT = I think I should reiterate that it has worked perfectly well for 10 years. Perhaps a further clarification .. it also worked in 3 African countries. Everything has coincided with UK Gov change in Communications provider.

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I tried it last night and again early this morning, still not working ....

I've just tried it again now and it is working... Somebody somewhere has twiddled with knobs and fixed it!!

@Pumpuynarak Try your access again mate !

Just tried again and its working, thanks DD.

• Thumbs Up 3