Medical Insurance in Thailand

AussieBob

13 hours ago, Horizondave said:

They do want quality tourists but they also want quality expats, mainly the ones who work and pay taxes and, for the most, add some positive economic benefits to Thailand.

Well i'm an expat that has never worked in Thailand but obviously pay taxes (think VAT)

What about the 7 mill Baht i brought from the UK to purchase a house and car for wifey and i and a small bungalow for wifey's moma in the village and the 1.5mill approx i spend every year living here supporting myself, wifey and her moma and have done for the last 15 years. 

I think i've done and am still doing my bit for Thailands economy but Thailand imo treats me like a pariah.

Rant over lol, not having a dig at you HD as i agree that immigrants to any country have to bring something to the party otherwise ???? 

Apologies for the TF.    

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Like 2
  • Great Info 4

3 hours ago, KWA said:

They are clearly differentiated by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs where you apply and are clearly marked "Tourist" and "TR" or "Non-Immigant" and "O" (in my case) on the passport sticker (*) so to say that they are the same stretches the imagination more than a bit.  They are different visas for different purposes.

It's not that long before Covid that people doing border runs and living in Thailand on tourist visas were being refused entry and told to get the correct visa as they clearly weren't tourists in anyone's eyes.

* - I've not seen a new stickerless visa but presume they follow a similar format.

image.png

I think you are, like most people, misinterpreting the meaning of the type of Visas and what they are legally in Thailand. How things are structured and set up for applications to be made etc. is not what they legally are. They are all Tourist Visas - Short Term or Long Term - none of them are 'Immigrant' Visas - as the name says - 'Non-Immigrant'.  Thailand does not provide Immigrant Visas - they only provide Tourist Visas - many different types and lengths of stay for each category, but they are all Tourist Visas. Everyone who enters Thailand under one of their Visas is legally and technically a tourist.  That is why everyone has to report 90 days and extend after 12 months TM47 etc etc etc. 

I saw a video where the head of the new 'Retirement and Nomad Visas' was interviewed about the new proposed Visas. She explained in answer to a legal/technical question that all Visas, including Thailand Elite, are basically Tourist Visas with specific requirements and allowances (even Diplomatic Visas). In the new proposed Visas, like the Thailand Elite and the 10 Year Visa, the 90 day and annual extension etc is done for the holders.  I did not know that and was not sure she was correct, so started checking things out and it was true - there are no Immigration Visas to enter Thailand - they are all variations on the basic Tourist Visa.

https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/page/cate-7393-general-information?menu=5d68c88b15e39c160c0081e0

• Great Info 1

2 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Well i'm an expat that has never worked in Thailand but obviously pay taxes (think VAT)

What about the 7 mill Baht i brought from the UK to purchase a house and car for wifey and i and a small bungalow for wifey's moma in the village and the 1.5mill approx i spend every year living here supporting myself, wifey and her moma and have done for the last 15 years. 

I think i've done and am still doing my bit for Thailands economy but Thailand imo treats me like a pariah.

Rant over lol, not having a dig at you HD as i agree that immigrants to any country have to bring something to the party otherwise ???? 

Apologies for the TF.    

I would add to your statement and that of @Derek Dangleberries that most Thais do not pay income tax. The only income tax paid by Thais is those who work for large companies who obey the tax laws (many do not). The majority of Thais, and most Expats, and all Tourists, pay their tax through the VAT system. And the vast majority of Expats pay a lot more VAT than Thais ever do in their lifetime. The purchases may well be in their Thai partner's name, but they paid the VAT - and all the other duties and taxes associated with large purchases like houses, apartments and motor vehicles.  Expats bring a lot into the Thai economy - a lot - that is why many overseas countries actually encourage them with special Retirement Visas and additional benefits.  Hey - it is Thailand - but they are missing out on what they do not recognise as a valuable 'economic resource'. If I was to do the analysis now that I did over 10 years ago - I would go for Philippines of Malaysia or Indonesia (Bali/Lombok) - because of all the crap the Junta has done to Expats since they 'took over'. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Jambo said:

Self funding in lieu of medical insurance. Smoke and mirrors for most Expats. Did you read Larry's comments about his double hip replacement surgery? That cost a million baht about 10 years ago

Please can you direct me to that comment.

In the meantime I shall tread carefully. Who paid for that  and how was it obtained?

Whilst on the subject of double hip replacement surgery who was the American Mangosteen eating Pimp that had his operations done  on the NHS then slagged them off??

Also whilst on the subject of pimps why does @Horizondave think that pimps with work permits that pay tax have a higher regard than expats living their lives peacefully in the village not bothering anybody?

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I think you are, like most people, misinterpreting the meaning of the type of Visas and what they are legally in Thailand. How things are structured and set up for applications to be made etc. is not what they legally are. They are all Tourist Visas - Short Term or Long Term - none of them are 'Immigrant' Visas - as the name says - 'Non-Immigrant'.  Thailand does not provide Immigrant Visas - they only provide Tourist Visas - many different types and lengths of stay for each category, but they are all Tourist Visas. Everyone who enters Thailand under one of their Visas is legally and technically a tourist.  That is why everyone has to report 90 days and extend after 12 months TM47 etc etc etc. 

I saw a video where the head of the new 'Retirement and Nomad Visas' was interviewed about the new proposed Visas. She explained in answer to a legal/technical question that all Visas, including Thailand Elite, are basically Tourist Visas with specific requirements and allowances (even Diplomatic Visas). In the new proposed Visas, like the Thailand Elite and the 10 Year Visa, the 90 day and annual extension etc is done for the holders.  I did not know that and was not sure she was correct, so started checking things out and it was true - there are no Immigration Visas to enter Thailand - they are all variations on the basic Tourist Visa.

https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/page/cate-7393-general-information?menu=5d68c88b15e39c160c0081e0

Nope, my understanding is clear and reinforced by your link which also differentiates between tourist and other visas on the page "Types of Visa".

Note I did not mention any immigrant visas even if there was such a thing, but there are clearly differences between tourist and non immigrant and other types.  Whatever you heard in the video may have been over simplified to make the point we are not permanent residents, or maybe it's just come over wrongly, as Immigration clearly treat them differently, as many who have been refused entry can testify.

2 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Why must it be an economic benefit?

Whilst working on the farm living "in the village" a group of teachers visited me and asked if I would help out at the village school. At the time I'd been up an hour before dawn to get the kiln loaded and fired up so that by the time they arrived unannounced I was properly ratassed, sweaty, half naked and dirty from sawing up wood and chugging beer ..... and that is the scenario that many anti-expat like to imagine thug expats to look like!

I ended up working under a Government project to teach English in the schools .... for free! I know that I sound like a pompous git but I like to think that I helped at least one child along the way!!

There is a MASSIVE input that expats can offer Thailand free of charge and free of work permit! 

Nothing wrong with your comments and I agree whole heartedly but I am not Thai. We all know that Thais think about money number one and that is how they arrive at most of their views on foreigners; of course locally you are benefitting many for free but in general terms how they see foreigners is how much they spend. Government looks for quality tourists and the spend of expats, they look for an economic benefit but, no doubt, locally you can be well respected and do benefit for many with little outlay but at government house they look at the pound and dollar signs first. 

Just a personal view.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Apologies for the TF.    

Appreciate your comments and maybe my line is too general but I just look at what government want, they really want to see money coming into the government coffers and what monies support the economies of the big cities. Their view is based on statistics and they believe the spend in the big cities where foreigners live and work can be increased by bringing in quality tourists and expats spending more (even if they work or not).

You can't change the view of many Thais in the big cities as they see a lot of bad behaviours and they judge people based on a small demographic.

You, I and DD have put a lot of money into the economy, I had a house and spent oodles of money but I never felt I was appreciated by anybody in government or city hall but locally people knew what I put into the local economy.

Maybe there is a stigma now whereas in the 80s/90s there was respect. 

Again just a personal view but we are looking at the small picture, the government looks at the big picture.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Please can you direct me to that comment.

In the meantime I shall tread carefully. Who paid for that  and how was it obtained?

Whilst on the subject of double hip replacement surgery who was the American Mangosteen eating Pimp that had his operations done  on the NHS then slagged them off??

Also whilst on the subject of pimps why does @Horizondave think that pimps with work permits that pay tax have a higher regard than expats living their lives peacefully in the village not bothering anybody?

For info I believe Mangosteen paid around 800000 baht for his double hip operation in Thailand. He didn't use the NHS unless I am confused with who you are referring to. I was living in Thailand when Mangosteen had his operation and saw him after in the Rockhouse. 

The second point about 'higher regard' is based again on the Thai need to recognise money number one. I don't think locally or if in a meeting with a government official you would be accorded any less respect than a working expat but I just think it is how the Thai mindset works.

I can tell you that I think my wife gives more respect to her mates husband than me just because he gives his lady a £100 just for cooking good meals in a particular week. The number of times my wife tells me about how much money a friend gets for a birthday or that she has been given a car or she now owns a house; well, I can't compete with that.

When I was in Thailand I think my wife thought I was a millionaire, we lived well. Well in relation I think we live fine in the UK but I don't have so much pulling power now as I am on a pension and trust me, that can create issue sometimes in the household. I truly believe Thais have an unhealthy view on how money is what affords respect.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Appreciate your comments and maybe my line is too general but I just look at what government want, they really want to see money coming into the government coffers and what monies support the economies of the big cities. Their view is based on statistics and they believe the spend in the big cities where foreigners live and work can be increased by bringing in quality tourists and expats spending more (even if they work or not).

You can't change the view of many Thais in the big cities as they see a lot of bad behaviours and they judge people based on a small demographic.

You, I and DD have put a lot of money into the economy, I had a house and spent oodles of money but I never felt I was appreciated by anybody in government or city hall but locally people knew what I put into the local economy.

Maybe there is a stigma now whereas in the 80s/90s there was respect. 

Again just a personal view but we are looking at the small picture, the government looks at the big picture.

Very well written.

To me it is obvious that the likes of you and @Krapow are very good fathers and have helped create your own family units but it bugs me that there are many expats living in Thailand that are exactly the same but are derided with a sweeping stereotypical comment and it upsets me.

I am truly sorry if I misspoke. 

3 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

For info I believe Mangosteen paid around 800000 baht for his double hip operation in Thailand. He didn't use the NHS unless I am confused with who you are referring to. I was living in Thailand when Mangosteen had his operation and saw him after in the Rockhouse. 

In which case I apologise completely ... but then again with Ray you never knew the truth whichever way it was presented.

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

I would add to your statement and that of @Derek Dangleberries that most Thais do not pay income tax. The only income tax paid by Thais is those who work for large companies who obey the tax laws (many do not). The majority of Thais, and most Expats, and all Tourists, pay their tax through the VAT system. And the vast majority of Expats pay a lot more VAT than Thais ever do in their lifetime. The purchases may well be in their Thai partner's name, but they paid the VAT - and all the other duties and taxes associated with large purchases like houses, apartments and motor vehicles.  Expats bring a lot into the Thai economy - a lot - that is why many overseas countries actually encourage them with special Retirement Visas and additional benefits.  Hey - it is Thailand - but they are missing out on what they do not recognise as a valuable 'economic resource'. If I was to do the analysis now that I did over 10 years ago - I would go for Philippines of Malaysia or Indonesia (Bali/Lombok) - because of all the crap the Junta has done to Expats since they 'took over'. 

Most Thais don't pay income tax probably because their income doesn't reach the minimum income level to be taxed.
image.png

https://taxsummaries.pwc.com/thailand/individual/taxes-on-personal-income

• Great Info 2

24 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Most Thais don't pay income tax probably because their income doesn't reach the minimum income level to be taxed.
image.png

https://taxsummaries.pwc.com/thailand/individual/taxes-on-personal-income

I wasn't aware of these thresholds . . . really interesting.

There must be a mad scramble at tax declaration time for the bargirls with having to pay tax on what is an average of 12,500 per month . . 😂

2 LT's and 1 ST for gogo girls would do it, plus their income on LD's and barfines . . 😂

:default_527:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Why must it be an economic benefit?

Whilst working on the farm living "in the village" a group of teachers visited me and asked if I would help out at the village school. At the time I'd been up an hour before dawn to get the kiln loaded and fired up so that by the time they arrived unannounced I was properly ratassed, sweaty, half naked and dirty from sawing up wood and chugging beer ..... and that is the scenario that many anti-expat like to imagine thug expats to look like!

I ended up working under a Government project to teach English in the schools .... for free! I know that I sound like a pompous git but I like to think that I helped at least one child along the way!!

There is a MASSIVE input that expats can offer Thailand free of charge and free of work permit! 

nice one, but yo re wrong at the end.  to work, even without pay, requires  ?legally? a work permit.  even volunteer work 🙂 

its seems you are overlooking th fact that, there are no 12 month visas for thailand.  none.

they are called extensions of stay.. your O type, my B type, regardless  of status they are not visas.

tourists have visas.  short ones 🙂

• Great Info 1

as for the social medical insurance, there is a cap to paying, its 60, after that no one can pay in.  i wouldnt recommend the cover but FWIW  you would have to cough up at least 1 to 1.5 mill if there was a joining option.

also Mango bollox didnt have his op on the social here, it was paid for.  Larry DID  as he had paid into the social scheme as an employee.  all my staff pay into that too

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

nice one, but yo re wrong at the end.  to work, even without pay, requires  ?legally? a work permit.  even volunteer work 🙂 

It was a Central Government run project to assess the viability of utilizing local native English speakers living in small villages to help improve the standard of spoken English in their local schools.

I did teach legally as an unpaid volunteer and without a Work Permit.

But you are right at the end, it probably isn't available nowadays...which is a shame ... or do you think otherwise?

44 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

its seems you are overlooking th fact that, there are no 12 month visas for thailand.  none.

There is, such as Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay/retirement). Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Thank You!

Which begs the question why was there a go fund me (or whatever it was called) set up in the first place when he was already covered?

you are mixing up two different occasions.  the one you refer to was when Larry was virtually on deaths door.  the details are his to share not mine but he was in a bad way.  the hip was much later

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

It was a Central Government run project to assess the viability of utilizing local native English speakers living in small villages to help improve the standard of spoken English in their local schools.

I did teach legally as an unpaid volunteer and without a Work Permit.

But you are right at the end, it probably isn't available nowadays...which is a shame ... or do you think otherwise?

under the employment act it has never been legal, but this is thailand 🙂

me?  i find th whole series of hoops we jump thru to work and pay here are ridiculous.  I pay income tax monthly too.  as to the health idea, no i don think there should be a free to all service.   I do think insurance s a tad expensive tho,  and of course it will exclude all pre existing conditions

2 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

you are mixing up two different occasions.  the one you refer to was when Larry was virtually on deaths door.  the details are his to share not mine but he was in a bad way.  the hip was much later

His to share??? It was fucking everywhere!!

This is such a critical debate on medical health insurance (which he didn't have because of pre existing conditions) which you are now saying that he is covered for because he pays into the social scheme.

This is a massive help to everybody if they can do the same thing.

Very well written.

To me it is obvious that the likes of you and @Krapow are very good fathers and have helped create your own family units but it bugs me that there are many expats living in Thailand that are exactly the same but are derided with a sweeping stereotypical comment and it upsets me.

I am truly sorry if I misspoke. 

Great reply. I would say more but. I am up a hill looking at the north Devon coast, totally knackered and wondering if I am writing English as having difficulty seeing the bloody phone lol

In which case I apologise completely ... but then again with Ray you never knew the truth whichever way it was presented.

Yes, Ray told everybody he paid himself. He self insured and believed the money he had saved over time had paid for his operation with money to spare. 

Saw him in the Rockhouse shortly after the op, it wasn't NHS funded. 

Maybe if he is lurking he would add more, think he is still a member here.

A good Brit friend of mine who has a business in Bangkok got his eye socket broken by a pool cue in a mass brawl in the Bobby's Arms in Patpong.All paid for by Thai social and he was very complimentary about his treatment too.