When was the last time you hand wrote a letter?.

Butch

It's all email these days, and the art of letter writing will probably soon die out I think.

Last time I wrote a letter was to a family of a friend of mine who had passed away, I felt that a hand written letter telling them that his final moments were peaceful and dignified might offer some comfort.

My penmanship is not the finest, but a personally hand written letter sent to me, would have far more impact than an email.

Time's, they're a changin'.

Edited by Butch

• Butch changed the title to When was the last time you hand wrote a letter?.
16 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I can't remember.

Was it with ink and a feather lol?...

Crazy when you think about it.

When my Dad was in Oman I'd write him every week, but as he was "busy" down South he'd only get the mail once a month or less. He's 87 now, and prides himself on showing me the letters that I wrote him and frequently tells me how much they lifted him up in times of hardship, often stuffing them into his webbing.

Pleased to say my writing has improved somewhat since then, lol.

my handwriting is terrible, I write everything in capitals so it's clearer ... I was never much of a letter writer anyway ...

actually thinking about it , it could have been 1995 , to Thailand after my 5th trip , there was a girl .. she wrote first ... unfortunately when I returned 8 months later , she was already in Germany  💔

1 minute ago, Butch said:

When my Dad was in Oman I'd write him every week, but as he was "busy" down South he'd only get the mail once a month or less. He's 87 now, and prides himself on showing me the letters that I wrote him and frequently tells me how much they lifted him up in times of hardship, often stuffing them into his webbing.

My handwriting skills have deteriorated to such an extent that I can't read my own writing. I do a shopping list and when I get to the supermarket I am squinting at the scrawl and wondering what f*ck was that? 

I have not written a letter by hand in about 40 years, and that was only because I didn't have the bottle to end it with a girlfriend face to face. Now you can just dump someone by text and that's it. 

I still have a Parker fountain pen that was given to me in my teens and I've never even put ink in it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Butch said:

It may have been a fountain pen, I do remember writing a letter to a lake owner some 25 years ago asking if I could fish his lake. LOL

• Like 1

Last week, when i notified the UK pension people of my change of address.

It cannot be done via e-mail....

As also mentioned above, i have written in block capitals all my adult life, but it's very legible so hopefully some bugger in the UK has up-dated my details.

• Like 1

Last letter I wrote by hand was pre-internet, so probably early 90's. Lack of practice means my penmanship has degraded to the point where the few notes I jot down are mostly illegible. Thankfully I usually can make out enough from my chicken scratchings to remember what it was I thought important enough to make a note about.

I wonder if they still teach cursive writing in school these days?

10 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I handed over my hand written Eulogy to the Vicar for my Mum's funeral about 5 years ago.

She couldn't read my writing very well and ended up stumbling over the words and even got some family names wrong. The funeral was a complete farce. My Mum would have laughed !!!

8 hours ago, SteveBC said:

Last week, when i notified the UK pension people of my change of address.

It cannot be done via e-mail....

As also mentioned above, i have written in block capitals all my adult life, but it's very legible so hopefully some bugger in the UK has up-dated my details.

In cases like the above, I prefer to use a computer to generate the text and a printer to put it on paper. When I have to fill in forms, I usually scan them to PDF and edit those before printing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Butch said:

I have a big stack of letters that I wrote to my parents when I was in Saudi & Oman right through the 1980's,reading them sure brings back a lot of memories!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

I have a big stack of letters that I wrote to my parents when I was in Saudi & Oman right through the 1980's,reading them sure brings back a lot of memories!

But I'm sure not ALL of them! 😄

I've always written with a cramped hand, even though I have large hands, and shaky hands seem to run in my family which makes it even more difficult to perform cursive writing nowadays. Thankfully I learned to touch type in high school and this has become invaluable in today's computer age - for instance, all of the messages I post to this board are written on a full-sized wireless keyboard, I don't follow the forum on my mobile. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It was last year to the police,id been driving covid tests down to motherwell from aberdeen,5 days a week for about 5 months,a lot of miles,knew the road well,one night there was a storm,pretty bad one in december,most driving agencys in scotland canceled their drivers,i was still on the road,anyhows on the way back from motherwell around 9pm it was wild,not many on the roads,trees down some across the dual carriegways b roads blocked ect,noticed an overturned hgv,guy got out through the broken front windsceen.While overtaking another hgv that was looking a bit wobbly i stepped on the gas,this was in a 50mph section of the carrigeway half a mile long,i hit 62 mph and the camera flashed,few weeks later the £120 fine and 3 points letter came through the door,so i wrote back explaining why i pressed on the gas,well the cunts took no sympathy or leniency on me and i had to pay up and get the points,fuckin assholes,maybe cos my handwriting was shite too lol.

Edited by Phantom51red

It happenes once or twice a year that the tax office or bank wants some papers instead of uploaded documents. I always send those with a short notice accompanying the documents.... but it is actually my office girl that writes the notice, I just put my signature underneath and let her lovely wet tongue lick my pen....  ehh the stamp.

Other than that I dont remember.