Can someone suggest a good encyption program?

Butch

Here's the situation:

I back up everything from the family laptops onto my Desktop PC, from daughters homework to business spreadsheets, emails etc. It's a chunk of Data but not as much as you'd expect, it all goes onto a 2TB External HDD (already filled one up).

I need a portable, reliable and transferable Encryption / file lock system so I can encrypt everything from single folders on flash drives to entire external HDD's. I don't mind paying, but would prefer free.

Now, i'm not sure if it's possible , but what would be super handy is a program that allows me to transfer already encrypted and locked folders across, so I can take locked / encrypted folder "A" from a flash drive and transfer onto an external HDD or another PC and then unlock it.

If not, just a decent program to suit my needs, it doesn't have to be a top level Milspec job, just something password protected and also with an easy interface.

Cheers, and virtual free barfine to anyone who helps.

Compression programs, WINZIP, 7-ZIP, "mash up" the data as part of the compression process. The compressed output can be password/pass phrase protected. And they preserve the folder structure.

Edited by fygjam
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Butch said:

Here's the situation:

I back up everything from the family laptops onto my Desktop PC, from daughters homework to business spreadsheets, emails etc. It's a chunk of Data but not as much as you'd expect, it all goes onto a 2TB External HDD (already filled one up).

I need a portable, reliable and transferable Encryption / file lock system so I can encrypt everything from single folders on flash drives to entire external HDD's. I don't mind paying, but would prefer free.

Now, i'm not sure if it's possible , but what would be super handy is a program that allows me to transfer already encrypted and locked folders across, so I can take locked / encrypted folder "A" from a flash drive and transfer onto an external HDD or another PC and then unlock it.

If not, just a decent program to suit my needs, it doesn't have to be a top level Milspec job, just something password protected and also with an easy interface.

Cheers, and virtual free barfine to anyone who helps.

I wanted the same and the short list via Google produced this list.

1. LastPass.
  2. BitLocker.
  3. VeraCrypt.
  4. FileVault 2.
  5. DiskCryptor.
  6. 7-Zip.
  7. AxCrypt.
  8. HTTPS Everywhere.

However I think buying an encryption program is probably better as reliability is critical. Just my thoughts.

• Thanks 1