Dirty money!

Bazle

For several years, I have kept a stock of several hundred USD in Pattaya to facilitate travel to other SE Asian countries. 

I've concluded that that is unlikely to happen again, so I have been trying to exchange the USD for THB. 

All four exchange booths I have tried have rejected about a third of the notes on the basis that the notes are dirty. It's a bit ironic that one of the booths is the one that sold them to me originally! 

Question: do you know of any booths (or anywhere) in Pattaya that are likely to accept them, please? 

They're fussier than they used to be, even a small mark or tear on a UK banknote and TT won't touch it. I'm not sure of your nationality, but if you're a Brit remember that the paper £20 notes will no longer be legal tender after October. I've got over a grand's worth here to get rid of and have been sorting them out into OK and ever-so-slightly blemished that TT will spurn.

I've also got around $2K in old dollar notes here that I kept for trips to Cambo and the PI that never happened. If you can't find anyone to change them here, maybe a mate going off to a neighbouring country would take them off your hands? If the worst comes to the worst, just go with a mate or two for a few days in Koh Kong. It's a nice place and you can buy wine and spirits at cheap Cambo prices and smuggle them back into Thailand in your suitcases. I used to do that all the time (I almost married a Khmer girl back 15-odd years ago and was practically commuting between Pattaya and Koh Kong), as there were no booze shops anywhere near the Immigration post at Cham Yeam the Thai customs never bothered people crossing on foot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

They're fussier than they used to be, even a small mark or tear on a UK banknote and TT won't touch it. 

I'm glad you mentioned that as it is the impression I got. They seemed quite close to getting out a microscope to facilitate closer inspection! 

Do you have any idea why this is? 

No, I guess whomever they sell the banknotes on to must have got fussier. It's strange, because the last few times I've been back in the UK I've often been appalled at the state of the cash that comes out of the ATM's, it often looks like someone's given it along with a few marker pens to their dyslexic children to keep them amused for a while. How are we supposed to get unmarked banknotes when the banks are giving us such utter tat.

50 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Question: do you know of any booths (or anywhere) in Pattaya that are likely to accept them, please?

I haven't used the place for years and don't want to send you on a wild goose chase but if nothing else turns up try Soi Rungland which is the Soi before/after Magna Carta. Go in passed the Motocys and it is on the left. I used to change bundles of 100USD bills in there.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I haven't used the place for years and don't want to send you on a wild goose chase but if nothing else turns up try Soi Rungland which is the Soi before/after Magna Carta. Go in passed the Motocys and it is on the left. I used to change bundles of 100USD bills in there.

Many thanks. 🙂

I still remember checking my bank notes when we had paper money in UK, for pen scribbles and torn edges etc before flying. Plastic money does seem more durable with less pen marks etc. I have had a few notes that were not accepted in the past. An iron and damp cloth can help too. 

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I think that's the Bank Gold place, isn't it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

I think that's the Bank Gold place, isn't it?

I really am unsure mate it has been years since I used it which is why I mentioned it as a last resort.

EDIT = Another place long gone was the chinese money exchanger on 2nd road up near soi 2...down the steps near cozy bar.....long gone with the bars too!!

Edited by Derek Dangleberries

2 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I really am unsure mate it has been years since I used it which is why I mentioned it as a last resort.

EDIT = Another place long gone was the chinese money exchanger on 2nd road up near soi 2...down the steps near cozy bar.....long gone with the bars too!!

Not sure whether the place is still there. I used to use it years ago and got a slightly better exchange rate. Not far to go on a motorbike, but a bit out of the way, otherwise, if staying in S Pattaya. 

35 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

This topic has prompted me to check my stash of holiday cash and all notes seem in pristine condition and devoid of embarrassing stains 😁😁

IMG_20220628_115424.jpg

There is a certain bar on Metro that looks like its going to get a lot of your money off you!  lol

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Not sure whether the place is still there. I used to use it years ago and got a slightly better exchange rate. Not far to go on a motorbike, but a bit out of the way, otherwise, if staying in S Pattaya. 

According to google street view, Bank Gold was still there in February 2022.

image.png

image.png

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Bazle said:

For several years, I have kept a stock of several hundred USD in Pattaya to facilitate travel to other SE Asian countries. 

I've concluded that that is unlikely to happen again, so I have been trying to exchange the USD for THB. 

All four exchange booths I have tried have rejected about a third of the notes on the basis that the notes are dirty. It's a bit ironic that one of the booths is the one that sold them to me originally! 

Do you know any friendly American people ex pats who you can exchange for THB who are in Thailand and wwill

likely return back to the us? 

3 hours ago, AJSP said:

Do you know any friendly American people ex pats who you can exchange for THB who are in Thailand and wwill

likely return back to the us? 

Sadly, no. 

I think I'll simply take the money back to London where (hopefully) the money changers are not so fussy. 

7 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

This topic has prompted me to check my stash of holiday cash and all notes seem in pristine condition and devoid of embarrassing stains 😁😁

IMG_20220628_115424.jpg

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

Any chance of a loan dad?.

wallet_moths_flying_out_300_wht.gif

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

IMG_20220628_115424.jpg

They are going to stop being legal tender pretty soon aren't they,autumn perhaps?

UK moving even further to plastic notes that will get around any tear issues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60918441

25 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I normally like to take negotiable Bearer Bonds with me 😊

Mate, last time you tried paying a barfine in Florins.

Some great tips in this thread re the actual state of the cash. I'm taking cash as well, maybe it's because I'm relatively rural but our money out of ATM's at the local banks is normally brand new.

I'm always a bit dubious about 50's though. Are they accepted with no hassle in Pattaya TT booths?. Even my local pub doesn't take them!.