Dirty money!

Bazle

3 minutes ago, Butch said:

I'm always a bit dubious about 50's though. Are they accepted with no hassle in Pattaya TT booths?. Even my local pub doesn't take them!.

It used to be their favoured note, I used to always take them.

I have no recent experience though!

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Butch said:

'm always a bit dubious about 50's though. Are they accepted with no hassle in Pattaya TT booths?. Even my local pub doesn't take them!.

For my last probably 10 trips I took 50's because you got a better rate for them.There was a money exchange place on the l/h side of Suk in BKK between Nana & Cowboy where you always got a good rate.

But I always ordered my 50's well in advance from my bank in the UK & made sure that they were spotless before leaving the branch.

PS Sorry I just read Pattaya doh!....But I'm sure I used to get a better rate for 50's at TT in Pattaya.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

For my last probably 10 trips I took 50's because you got a better rate for them.There was a money exchange place on the l/h side of Suk in BKK between Nana & Cowboy where you always got a good rate.

But I always ordered my 50's well in advance from my bank in the UK & made sure that they were spotless before leaving the branch.

PS Sorry I just read Pattaya doh!....But I'm sure I used to get a better rate for 50's at TT in Pattaya.

Vasu in Bangkok , but I agree TT did give a better rate for £50's 

• Like 2

Every trip I start off with a good amount of Canadian $100 bills  and when I pick them up at my bank I let the teller know where they are going and to make sure they are perfect as I've gone through this BS in Asia too; I remember a couple of years ago I ended up with one brand-new looking bill  - and ours have been plastic for some years now - that had a tiny cut, perhaps 1/8", near one corner and I had to take it to three different places before they'd cash it for me, just silly. 

12 hours ago, Butch said:

Mate, last time you tried paying a barfine in Florins.

Some great tips in this thread re the actual state of the cash. I'm taking cash as well, maybe it's because I'm relatively rural but our money out of ATM's at the local banks is normally brand new.

I'm always a bit dubious about 50's though. Are they accepted with no hassle in Pattaya TT booths?. Even my local pub doesn't take them!.

I always take 50's and have never had a problem exchanging them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 4:40 PM, Bazle said:

I think I'll simply take the money back to London where (hopefully) the money changers are not so fussy. 

I did just that and, today, took the notes to a bureau de change in the heart of tourist London.

They didn't even blink at the notes - had absolutely no problem whatsoever.

I'd still like to know why the Thais have a problem with dirty notes. I get it if there is a line or mark on a monarch, but otherwise I don't.

It is obviously not a financial issue, so it must be cultural.

• Like 5

A friend of mine told me a tale year’s back 

while in Thailand he had left some notes in the pockets of his shorts 

which he put in to be washed in a hotel laundry,

when the laundry was returned so where the notes 

In a neat pile all had been ironed 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Bazle said:

I did just that and, today, took the notes to a bureau de change in the heart of tourist London.

They didn't even blink at the notes - had absolutely no problem whatsoever.

I'd still like to know why the Thais have a problem with dirty notes. I get it if there is a line or mark on a monarch, but otherwise I don't.

It is obviously not a financial issue, so it must be cultural.

Same in the Philippines , well Manila anyway Baz. If they look or resemble @Nightcrawler's underpants (covered in marks, old, secondhand, torn and dirty) they won't be accepted, even in the banks.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's getting ridiculous here now. I went to Immigration on Soi 5 yesterday afternoon to get a re-entry permit. The cop took my paperwork and then I handed him a newish 1,000 Baht note, but he looked at it and handed it back to me, pointing to a tiny tear on the edge. It was one of the new notes with the new King's head on it, and otherwise in perfect condition, but if a government agency refuses to accept a slightly torn banknote in the government's own currency, what hope is there for the money changers, lol?

• Sad 1

Last month I had a $100 bill I needed to cash. It was in decent shape (other than a miniscule tear in the middle of the bill. Took it to Krung Thai Bank in Central Marina.

Waited about 15 minutes to get a teller. The girl took a pic of the bill and literally took ten minutes researching it, looking at it and having her co-workers give their input. I said absolutely nothing and showed the utmost respect (lol) as I waited patiently. Finally she cashed it.

What a cluster.

• Sad 1

Never heard of this before, and I've never had any problems in Thailand. I have always used either Vasu in BKK or TT in near lk metro in Pattaya. I usually exchange danish 500 or 1000 paper notes.

Is it just your british plastic money that is the problem or it also other paper currencies?

1 minute ago, Lirchenfeld said:

Never heard of this before, and I've never had any problems in Thailand. I have always used either Vasu in BKK or TT in near lk metro in Pattaya. I usually exchange danish 500 or 1000 paper notes.

Is it just your british plastic money that is the problem or it also other paper currencies?

US currency too. If the note is dirty, has any kind of tear, of if printed prior to 1996, exchange booths have been known to refuse them.