Tipping in Thailand

Nightcrawler

Tipping cultures seem to vary in the world. 

It's generally expected in bars restaurants and gogos etc but what is the tip for and is it always expected? 

Of course it is seen as a bonus for low paid workers, or excellence of service perhaps. I generally tip in bars and restaurants, but to be honest, it's because I don't want to appear to be mean 😉 or hear a lady mutter "falang Keeniao"  under her breath as she collects the silver tray. 

Tipping in UK usually extends to services like taxis hairdressers and restaurants ( although service charge included in the bill) but we rarely tip bar staff in pubs and bars etc. 

I tend to tip 10% in Pattaya in bars and restaurants etc with the odd occasion when I slip a bit extra into a girl's eager palm or no tip at all if I have had a particularly bad experience. What I don't like, is girls asking for a tip before I have even paid the bill and watching like a hawk as I get my money out to pay. 

What's your personal view on tipping? 

- If I only have one beer then I pay the asking price

- If I am charged 40 Baht for a 6 Baht bottle of soda water then I pay the asking price and never return.

- Beyond those circumstances it depends on the price of the beer and the service. Some places charge shocking prices for beer and offer very little or no entertainment to support the price. i.e "Live Sports" Bars with no Live Sports on......"Live Band" Bars with no live band on..."Girl" Bars with no girls.

I always tip in places where the girls work hard and damn well deserve it!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is roughly what I do , although alcohol may make me more generous on occasion...

I tip my taxi driver to / from the Airport 100 Baht ( as long as they didn't drive like a nutter .. ) 

I tip the massage / pedicure girls 100 Baht at the till ( behind the curtain I tip a lot more if I'm happy at the conclusion .. ) 

I leave a tip at the end of my stay to the cleaning ladies , if they have done a good job 

I tip the door guys at my hotel when I leave 

Bars / GoGos one drink 10 Baht ( unless it was poor service )

a few drinks 20 Baht 

Lots of drinks 20 - 40 Baht  - I usually buy service girls , bar staff drinks as well as the dancers , so don't really see the need to tip more 

Restaurants - just a quick meal 20 baht , a longer meal 100 baht 

• Thumbs Up 1

once you have a thai Mrs.  she will take over somewhat, unless on an escape on your own.  quickly learn that only farang tip really here.  tipping in major tourist places is expected and the common service charge included on bills is becoming more common,  away from the traps, tipping is unexpected.

i tip 10s and 20s  to taxis in the city, meals in cafes etc.  and bars.  if its a full on special experience, then I tip more 🙂

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

24 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

This is roughly what I do , although alcohol may make me more generous on occasion...

I tip my taxi driver to / from the Airport 100 Baht ( as long as they didn't drive like a nutter .. ) 

I tip the massage / pedicure girls 100 Baht at the till ( behind the curtain I tip a lot more if I'm happy at the conclusion .. ) 

I leave a tip at the end of my stay to the cleaning ladies , if they have done a good job 

I tip the door guys at my hotel when I leave 

Bars / GoGos one drink 10 Baht ( unless it was poor service )

a few drinks 20 Baht 

Lots of drinks 20 - 40 Baht  - I usually buy service girls , bar staff drinks as well as the dancers , so don't really see the need to tip more 

Restaurants - just a quick meal 20 baht , a longer meal 100 baht 

Similair to you in past visits.

I would though leave a tip for the cleaning lady everday- would see it as a form of security. Returning to the August Suites after a long gap since visiting, was stunned that the cleaner could remember what rooms I stopped in year's back. Guess someone had been way over-tipping😳

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Similair to you in past visits.

I would though leave a tip for the cleaning lady everday- would see it as a form of security. Returning to the August Suites after a long gap since visiting, was stunned that the cleaner could remember what rooms I stopped in year's back. Guess someone had been way over-tipping😳

I'm the same with hotel maid's, leave 20b a day.

Bars and restaurants down to service and how much I spent,so would be anywhere between 20 to 100 baht.

100b for the airport taxi run's.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Restaurant/Bar 20 Bt per person up to a bill of 500 Bt pp

Massage 50-60 Bt per hour

Hotel 20Bt/night on the pillow, 20 Bt for carrying luggage

Airport taxi 100 Bt

Car wash 20-30 Bt.

Live band to play a song or if I enjoy them 100 Bt.

Contruction staff when building a house or doing renovation work get from time to time some of their poison, a couple of beers, some whiskey and Lao Khao. Must be drunken after work though.

Don't use taxis.

No barbers (Mrs. CO can do that very well, and no tip for her).

No tips in 7-11, BigC, petrol stations (unless they clean ALL windows), hospital staff when outpatient, government offices unless it it mandatory to receive any service at all.

If I tip more I get in trouble with Mrs. CO, especially if the waitress is young and pretty.

Edited by CampariO

5 minutes ago, CampariO said:

petrol stations (unless they clean ALL windows)

This is an interesting one.

I know a couple of Petrol Stations that employ Myanmar immigrants on well below the minimum wage and I'd rather tip them than tip a bar girl....Don't ask me why because I won't be able to explain that logic in any rational way. It is just the way I feel about some things I guess.

But that dilemma no longer exists since I stopped driving!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

This is an interesting one.

I know a couple of Petrol Stations that employ Myanmar immigrants on well below the minimum wage and I'd rather tip them than tip a bar girl....Don't ask me why because I won't be able to explain that logic in any rational way. It is just the way I feel about some things I guess.

But that dilemma no longer exists since I stopped driving!

Filling up the gas tank for a couple of minutes I don't see much of a service they are giving.

Thought at your age you whould remember when they used to check the oil, tire pressure AND clean the windows....in your home country  😁

🏃‍♂️....

Unbenannt.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

An afternoon out with 2 mates and my Thai ex-wife around various beer bars. She just watched.

Second day she told us to give her 500 baht each and she would take care of the bins.

Third day we drank for the first 3 hours with out her asking for money. When asked how she was paying she said this was money left over from the day before. "Farang stupid with tips!" Apparently 20 baht is plenty for multiple drinks 0 baht if only 1 beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 Baht on pillow everyday in hotel.

40 Baht for bellhop carrying my bags and checking/turning on everything in the room.

10% in restaurants (compared to 15-20% in US).

Bars, what ever I feel like, also depends on how long I've been drinking.

• Like 1

Taxi to airport 200 or 300 baht

Massage girls 50% of the massage cost

Restaurant servers 30-50 baht

Servers in bars if i have one and out 20 baht
Hotel guys that deal with m bags 60-80 baht

Keeping in mind that these numbers could change for shit service or could be more for service above and beyond.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Taxi to airport 200 or 300 baht

Massage girls 50% of the massage cost

Restaurant servers 30-50 baht

Servers in bars if i have one and out 20 baht
Hotel guys that deal with m bags 60-80 baht

Keeping in mind that these numbers could change for shit service or could be more for service above and beyond.

Your a most generous chappy Mr. Kid......