Hay Fever

Nightcrawler

Never been a sufferer until recently, here in UK. 

For the last couple of weeks, I have been experiencing sneezing fits, runny nose and itchy eyes. I am taking an antihistamine each day, but doesn't give a great deal of relief. 

I like having the windows open on warm summer days, but that's making it a whole lot worse. 

I wonder whether there is a general rise of Hay fever or just me reacting for the first time? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Me too and the antihistamine i've been taking (Xyzal) also does not appear to be working, now WTF do i do now ?

It really is becoming a nightmare as i'm constantly having to blow my nose and getting through a box of tissues every 3 days and its also affecting my sleep.

I'm seeing my doc on the 12th so hopefully he will have a solution.

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Me too and the antihistamine i've been taking (Xyzal) also does not appear to be working, now WTF do i do now ?

Take something better - Benadryl Plus.

The active ingredient that works in Benadryl Plus is called pseudoephedrine. if one capsule doesn't do the job then just take 2 of them - this is the only one that worked 100% for me.

It ain't cheap and is banned in half the world but it's still available in the UK.

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, joker said:

The active ingredient that works in Benadryl Plus is called pseudoephedrine. if one capsule doesn't do the job then just take 2 of them - this is the only one that worked 100% for me.

It ain't cheap and is banned in half the world but it's still available in the UK.

Wish I saw this earlier,was out shopping and went into Superdrug for toiletries.

3 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

It really is becoming a nightmare as i'm constantly having to blow my nose and getting through a box of tissues every 3 days and its also affecting my sleep.

I'm seeing my doc on the 12th so hopefully he will have a solution.

You get it in Thailand?

I always get it bad in June, grass pollen (not ganga :default_268213:) but i always went to Thailand in June and never had it.

Different dates/seasons for it in Thailand?

That said, this year is bad, still eyes going nuts with itch every day presently. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, joker said:

Thanks for your post but i live in Thailand where its banned.

15 hours ago, Krapow said:

You get it in Thailand?

I always get it bad in June, grass pollen (not ganga :default_268213:) but i always went to Thailand in June and never had it.

Different dates/seasons for it in Thailand?

That said, this year is bad, still eyes going nuts with itch every day presently. 

Yep get it in Thailand. I've been taking it daily for circa 3/4 years but have just recently stopped taking it to gauge how effective its been and i have to say i'm not noticing much difference.

I have the complaint all the time so i'm thinking it must be something i'm allergic to rather than seasonal type hay fever.

18 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Probably the best relief will come from an air purifier. Unfortunately that also means keeping your windows closed.

Yeah i've thought of getting an air purifier but i can't stand living in a house with the windows closed all the time.

I used Nasonex which is a prescription nasal spray, but now not available, so it's OTC Beconase for me.

Bloody pain it is, I also double up with antihistamines, but only the Tesco ones off the shelf.

Actifed (pseudoephedrine) was the best ever......You use to be able to buy it in any Pharmacy in Pattaya......And it was cheap too....

I had a fat stash of the actifed for a loooong time but now my stash is gone...

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, fforest said:

So whats the best of whats left on the market? Any opinions?

I think it's different strokes for different folks mate. Beconase works for me if I back it up with an OTC non drowsy antihistamine, but for others it might not work at all.

Actifed used to work well also, but I'd actually forgotten about that! lol.

I'll have a look and grab some later. If you are in LOS and can't get it there, PM me and I'll bring you a stash over on my next trip (as long as it's legal to do so lol) , as in the UK I think they've removed the ephedrine content now, so might not work as well (and to be fair the content was minimal anyway).

Edited by Butch
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, coxyhog said:

This is worth a read if you're using nasal sprays:

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/nasal-spray-are-you-overdoing-it

Yes, decongestant nasal sprays should only be used for 3 to 5 days.

Do know that decongestant nasal sprays are different than steroidal nasal sprays though.

. . .

https://aaoallergy.org/you-want-me-to-spray-what-up-my-nose-/

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/8/2022 at 12:53 AM, Lirchenfeld said:

Generic Fexofenadine(hydrochloride) works for me - tradename Telfast (also in Thailand) amongst many other names. Way cheaper than Benadryl and other advertised antihistamines.

So what have you been paying for the Fexofenadine? See my link....This is the one airline pilots use..