looking to relocate

Hi new to the forum from Scotland and looking to sell house in Spain and relocate to Thailand but need some advice on which area.  I would like to me near amenities, beach and shopping centres. Can anyone advice please

thanks

Carol

4 hours ago, Sangsom said:

Very big question depends on what you are looking for. Would probs rent in the first instance to make sure firstly thaIland, then the area is for you.

Bingo, rent first is the way to go. I would think that Hua Hin could tick all the boxes, that would be my choice.

• 5 months later...
On 7/14/2022 at 3:16 AM, carol. said:

Hi new to the forum from Scotland and looking to sell house in Spain and relocate to Thailand but need some advice on which area.  I would like to me near amenities, beach and shopping centres. Can anyone advice please

thanks

Carol

Hi Carol

Chiang Mai and surrounding areas are great chill out places to live .Phrao is very interesting.

Kanchanaburi is picturesque.

I suggest you stay away from tourist areas but up to you as the Thais say.

Good luck

Chok Dee

I am relocating soon one more reconicance trip end of January 

2 hours ago, Saintly said:

Chiang Mai and surrounding areas are great chill out places to live .Phrao is very interesting.

All three are great locations, but a bit of a long walk to the beach ( being one of Carol's requirements )......

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Saintly said:

Hi Carol

I suggest you stay away from tourist areas but up to you as the Thais say.

Good luck

Chok Dee

I am relocating soon one more reconicance trip end of January 

Hi Carol, my advice would be exactly the opposite.

Trust me!

Live in the busy Tourist areas such as Pattaya and visit these "wonderful" interesting places as and when the need moves you!

"Great chill out places" is code for bored to f**k living out in the sticks meeting the same boring expats in the same two or three bars because there is nothing much else to do or go.

FIRSTLY, come on a couple of trips to Pattaya.

You will either love it or hate the place as there is no grey area.

What you will find is great entertainment/restaurants/shopping centers/several beaches/water parks/Cinema complex etc etc.

Virtually everybody speaks English in Pattaya and if they cannot the lazy sods should have learned. Don't underestimate the downside of living in some Town "Up Country" where English speakers are a small minority.

Above all else, don't trust expats who tell you how wonderful it is living away from the tourist areas. Half of them are bored to f**k wishing that their Thai live-in relatives of their wives would go down with something which wasn't trivial.

Good luck.

ps

Carol, are you my dentist in Corstorphine? 🤣

Edited by Jambo
  • Like 2