Korat to Chiang Mai by air

Horizondave

Not sure how many people will want to fly between these two destinations, and at 2100 Baht its not a cheap option either!

Every year without fail they trot out the "recommencement" of flights from Korat speech, and nothing every happens! Korat residents are "value driven residents". Years ago they did flights from here to DMK at 1500 baht one-way (a 40 min flight), verses the bus at 190 baht and 4 hours of travel. Guess which option won the day everyday?

Early 90's we flew from BKK to Korat Air Force base on a Thai Int. BAe 146 and then sometime later into Korat airport with a domestic carrier,maybe Nok Air?

My missus reckons the airport only got built because the then PM was from Korat.

Certainly a white elephant.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

Early 90's we flew from BKK to Korat Air Force base on a Thai Int. BAe 146 and then sometime later into Korat airport with a domestic carrier,maybe Nok Air?

My missus reckons the airport only got built because the then PM was from Korat.

Certainly a white elephant.

I have driven to Khon Kaen via Korat and a couple of times some military flights go overhead so I presume it is an important Thai military base.  Was it also (like Udon Thani) a large airport used by the US Air Force during the Vietnam war?.

34 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I have driven to Khon Kaen via Korat and a couple of times some military flights go overhead so I presume it is an important Thai military base.  Was it also (like Udon Thani) a large airport used by the US Air Force during the Vietnam war?.

Yes it was and you could tell when you landed there,got off the aircraft onto a bus & it was 30mins before you got to the gate.Still in use now,F-16's I think.

• Thumbs Up 1