BRITISH AIRWAYS TO CONTINUE THAILAND ROUTE SUSPENSION

Krapow

Maybe me booking EVA for Easter already was a good decision :hmmm:

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/british-airways-to-continue-thailand-route-suspension-35373#:~:text=British Airways is to continue,operators during the peak season.&text=The airline was originally set,has now reviewed this decision.

The airline was originally set to resume the Heathrow flights with the start of the coming winter season in November but has now reviewed this decision.

The Thai capital is not top of BA’s list for resumption, as it is predominantly low-yield tourist traffic and there is stiff price competition from the Middle East carriers, among them fellow oneworld member Qatar Airways.

BA is now selling Bangkok flights with a connection in Doha using Qatar Airways’ services.

BA told TTG: “We regularly keep our extensive global network under review, and we’ve taken the decision to extend the suspension of our Bangkok service. 

“We’re in contact with affected customers to apologise, advise them of their consumer rights and offer them alternative options, including a refund or rebooking.”

Thailand will temporarily lose another UK connection next month. Budget airline Scoot, which began flying Gatwick-Bangkok-Singapore in March, will suspend services on 21 August, planning to return at the end of October.

This leaves only Thai Airways and EVA Air offering non-stop services to Bangkok from Heathrow.

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

Read on PA some people travelling in November have just had the flights cancelled...some friends of mine travelling Business, have just been switched to Qatar , they are over the moon , they checked and the same dates would now be £4K+ 

Each to their own. 

Wouldn't care how good Qatar Business Class was, if I booked direct, personally I would want direct. 

Though as said, each to their own ...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Krapow said:

Each to their own. 

Wouldn't care how good Qatar Business Class was, if I booked direct, personally I would want direct. 

Though as said, each to their own ...

When they booked it was around £2k each ... if they had to rebook now ... they are just happy to be going 

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

When they booked it was around £2k each ... if they had to rebook now ... they are just happy to be going 

Ah, understand now, thought it was they were happy to fly Qatar instead of BA. 

£4000 for a flight in November, even business class and not even direct, feck me! 

• Sad 1

BA are still flying direct from Changi airport in Singapore to London Heathrow.  Bangkok to Singapore is just over 2 hours flight time and there are plenty of flights between the two, (BKK SIN).

If you have plenty of Avios points available this may be a good option.

Have a overnight stay over on your departure and return to eliminate any issues re connections.

Worth a thought?

On 7/23/2022 at 7:13 AM, tommy dee said:

yes i am not sure how to transfer them from my ba account to anywhere else.  i am pretty stupid on avios and airmiles i find it confusing

• Like 2

14 hours ago, john luke said:

BA are still flying direct from Changi airport in Singapore to London Heathrow.  Bangkok to Singapore is just over 2 hours flight time and there are plenty of flights between the two, (BKK SIN).

If you have plenty of Avios points available this may be a good option.

Have a overnight stay over on your departure and return to eliminate any issues re connections.

Worth a thought?

BA have 2 flights but when I looked at prices as a way to connect to Thailand (school holidays) it was over £5000 for 2 adults and 1 child in economy.

That is BA's routing to Australia and it usually does well on load so maybe not going to be reasonably priced as an alternative to other companies.

• Sad 1
  • Surprised 1

• 10 months later...

It would be lovely if BA could return to Thailand but the reasons for BA returning to Beijing are different to the need for BA to enter the Thailand market again. 

The very restrictive Chinese entry regulations applied to flights during Covid ensured BA could not operate the route, it wasn't until recently that those regulations have been dropped (they have already operated to Shanghai in April). The route has been resumed as it is of a financial benefit and offers a lucrative market with good seat yield.

Flights to Thailand could have been operating for years as Covid restrictions have not prevented BA resuming the route. They already offer almost daily cargo flights to Thailand.

Thailand just isn't offering BA the passenger seat yield necessary to resume flights, they just don't want the low yield customer that is interested in very competitive fares to get them to Thailand.  They are still reliant, and happy with, Qatar for code share revenue via Doha which is more profitable for them.

Never say never, but until the future yield per seat projected, is financially beneficial (for any aircraft type) I can not see BA resuming services. It is a shame, but as it is obvious Thailand's need to bring in quality high spending tourists has not materialised, BA also can not see a high yield route in the near future and will look elsewhere for their route plans.

The above is just my thought but also based on my understanding of BA's inventory management requirements. I worked with that department for years and still have friends who work there.

• Great Info 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/21/2022 at 6:21 PM, Krapow said:

and there is stiff price competition from the Middle East carriers, among them fellow oneworld member Qatar Airways.

Sounds sensible, with many flights every day available from the likes of Qatar, Oman, Emirates and Etihad, all of which offer hugely superior service to BA, why even try to compete?

I remember when British Airways had a route from Paris to Manila. I was searching for a flight from Bangkok to Manila and it popped up as they stop over in Bangkok then continue on to Manila. It was very cheap I paid less than $150 US round trip Bangkok Manila return on British Airways. But that route disappeared

4 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I remember when British Airways had a route from Paris to Manila. I was searching for a flight from Bangkok to Manila and it popped up as they stop over in Bangkok then continue on to Manila. It was very cheap I paid less than $150 US round trip Bangkok Manila return on British Airways. But that route disappeared

Got to be honest those routes are new on me. I have traveled Hong Kong to Manila on BA but have never known BA to operate Paris to Bangkok or Bangkok to Manila. What year is this, maybe you are in your twilight years lol, and this was in the days of multi stop flights.

12 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Got to be honest those routes are new on me. I have traveled Hong Kong to Manila on BA but have never known BA to operate Paris to Bangkok or Bangkok to Manila. What year is this, maybe you are in your twilight years lol, and this was in the days of multi stop flights.

17 or 18 years ago 

12 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

17 or 18 years ago 

Always happy to be proved wrong, but I have never known BA to operate a Paris Bangkok or Bangkok Manila service.

Maybe there was a BA flight number but it would be operated by another airline as a code share flight, some flights operating a route have 4 or 5 code share flight numbers which makes it easier for airlines to sell a through service to a customers destination.

Lived in Philippines in the 90s and Thailand from 2003 for 15 years and I have flown so many times between Bangkok and Manila and have never seen BA offered. The only airlines I have traveled on (some no longer operate) are EgyptAir, Kuwait, Thai, Philippine Airlines, Emirates and Cebu Pacific.

I used the old BA032/033 service that flew Hong Kong - Manila - Hong Kong until that stopped years ago, that was a sad day.

If BA had been operating Bangkok Manila route I would have saved a lot of money on standby fares lol

14 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Always happy to be proved wrong, but I have never known BA to operate a Paris Bangkok or Bangkok Manila service.

Maybe there was a BA flight number but it would be operated by another airline as a code share flight, some flights operating a route have 4 or 5 code share flight numbers which makes it easier for airlines to sell a through service to a customers destination.

Lived in Philippines in the 90s and Thailand from 2003 for 15 years and I have flown so many times between Bangkok and Manila and have never seen BA offered. The only airlines I have traveled on (some no longer operate) are EgyptAir, Kuwait, Thai, Philippine Airlines, Emirates and Cebu Pacific.

I used the old BA032/033 service that flew Hong Kong - Manila - Hong Kong until that stopped years ago, that was a sad day.

If BA had been operating Bangkok Manila route I would have saved a lot of money on standby fares lol

Haha you're right I screwed up on the name it was Air France that had that route and that was a pretty shitty airline too in my opinion in any event not British Air but Air France

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Haha you're right I screwed up on the name it was Air France that had that route and that was a pretty shitty airline too in my opinion in any event not British Air but Air France

Yes, Air France wasn't a great airline; once took them from Paris to Nairobi on an all economy flight, even had to pick up your meal from a trolley as you entered the aircraft. Not a memorable flight.

2 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Yes, Air France wasn't a great airline; once took them from Paris to Nairobi on an all economy flight, even had to pick up your meal from a trolley as you entered the aircraft. Not a memorable flight.

I only flew Air Chance once from CDG to Houston & back & that was in 1986....all I remember was the free champers in cattle class & not being woken until we were just about to touch down,both of which were a big bonus.

Ruined by the 5 hour wait I had in CDG on the way to Houston though.