Thai Airways planes parked up at Swampy

Sangsom

Forgot to mention this last week when I arrived.

But there must but 30-40 Thai airways planes parked up on the various taxi ways around the airport. The planes don’t even looked washed and in good condition and ready to go. Anyone else notice this?

I think we know it anyway, but it Shows how far the tourist industry in Thailand is away from normal service…..

4 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Should future travellers ie Me, be concerned about this. Hoping to book early December till end of January.??? 

Doubt it, I imagine they will gradually bring them back into service as the demand is there.

For those who know more about aviation than me riddle me this; the many times I have flow Thai airways Melbourne BKK and reverse it was always on a Boeing 777. During Covid-19 lockdowns the flight stopped.  Now the flights have restarted but with Airbus A350s

also pre Covid-19 there was melb bkk two flight daily and now only one 

8 hours ago, Khun Ling said:

For those who know more about aviation than me riddle me this; the many times I have flow Thai airways Melbourne BKK and reverse it was always on a Boeing 777. During Covid-19 lockdowns the flight stopped.  Now the flights have restarted but with Airbus A350s

A350 has slightly less passenger capacity, better fuel economy, is less noisy and a lot newer. THAI probably didn't have them yet at the start of COVID.

9 hours ago, Khun Ling said:

Lack of demand.

9 hours ago, Khun Ling said:

Thai had the A350s before Covid but did not have certification to fly them into Australia. I guess they have it now.

Yes I was shocked when I landed in bkk this morning and saw all the planes parked up and the was only bkk airport. What about other airports around Thailand how many have they parked there ? 
Plane was full from London to Thailand maybe it might be time about taking a few a380 out of storage and put them back into service. 
was also shocked with Thai immigration finger printing every one 😮😮😮

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1

Maybe as part of the restructure these planes are waiting for demand to pick up and other routes to come online. Also, they could be in need of maintenance checks and part of a backlog. I remember landing at NAIA there were 3 BA A380's parked up, but had gone when I returned a few weeks later.

I think THAI have been adequately bailed out, or continue to trade and their service seems to be reliable, more so than BA at the moment!. Finger crossed they'll continue to get busier as time goes on.

1 hour ago, Butch said:

Maybe as part of the restructure these planes are waiting for demand to pick up and other routes to come online. Also, they could be in need of maintenance checks and part of a backlog. I remember landing at NAIA there were 3 BA A380's parked up, but had gone when I returned a few weeks later.

I think THAI have been adequately bailed out, or continue to trade and their service seems to be reliable, more so than BA at the moment!. Finger crossed they'll continue to get busier as time goes on.

When an aircraft is out of service there are very specific checks & procedures detailed in the maintenance manual which have to be carried out on a regular basis.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

When an aircraft is out of service there are very specific checks & procedures detailed in the maintenance manual which have to be carried out on a regular basis.

Indeed and that can be a  very expensive job. 

There are a number of  British Airways planes stacked up at British airports and likely to be the same in many other countries. Russian airports  must have a mountain of Aeroflot jets stacked up.

Its going to take a long while before these planes start to fly again, if at all, with many airlines in debt due to the Pandemic, lack of customers, increased fuel costs and lack of staff etc. A whole raft of factors involved. 

Just shows what a mess that the airline industry is facing globally. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Indeed and that can be a  very expensive job. 

Especially if those checks etc are not carried out.

I was involved with an aircraft that had sat untouched for over three years in Bucharest and it took 18 months to get back into the air.Although that was not helped by the local workforce & their very restrictive working hours.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Especially if those checks etc are not carried out.

I was involved with an aircraft that had sat untouched for over three years in Bucharest and it took 18 months to get back into the air.Although that was not helped by the local workforce & their very restrictive working hours.

I love this video, but jeez, it never ceases to amaze me exactly how much work is involved, literally pull the entire thing apart, check it and then put it back together!.

Just one question, do you keep the quid coins that you might find down the side of the seats?. 😄

Edited by Butch
  • Great Info 1

3 hours ago, Butch said:

Just one question, do you keep the quid coins that you might find down the side of the seats?.

Anything found is yours.

I used to work for Emerald Airways,a small outfit that is long since extinct.They had a few turboprops based at Liverpool airport & if Everton were playing down south or Portsmouth were playing up north they would charter one of these aircraft.

One of the trolley dollies told me that as soon as the players had disembarked then they scoured the seats that they had vacated(before the cleaners got on) because they had been playing cards for money & even in those days they were on big bucks and there would always be some dosh left behind.

Unfortunately I was in the flight deck talking to the pilots.

• Thumbs Up 2