Replacing an iPhone at this time

ChiFlyer

I have always owned an iPhone. I am just one lazy SOB I guess.

I thought I might ask for any suggestions about buying a new iPhone in Thailand. I have an XS and it has been a good phone, but it is starting to get a little quirky and is 4 years old. I have not always treated it with the loving care it deserves. Sounds like the right time to replace it is now.

I am not coming into this cold. I have been reading up a little on current models and options. Since I am an upgrade after a few Model releases have passed kind of a guy, I figure that I should go with an iPhone 13 Pro.  The only difference that I see between the 13 Pro and the 13 Pro Max is that the Max screen display is bigger. Despite my increasingly Mr. Magoo eye sight, this is not a reason to spend more money for me.

One thing I really liked about the XS was the dual sim with one of them being an e-sim. I use AIS for the e-sim. The 13 Pro versions have similar, if not identical, sim capabilities.

I figure I may as well buy a 13 Pro from AIS and have them do the conversion. If I convert the phone myself, I still have to go see AIS to convert the e-sim. AIS has various options to reduce the purchase price, but all of them include signing up for some kind of data contract. I am almost always on wi-fi, so I do not need an AIS data contract IMO. The cost of the data contract exceeds the reduction in the purchase of the phone. Eff that.

Anyway, I see that I can purchase the phone from the online AIS store for a little under 40,000 and pick it up at the local AIS store in Central Plaza in Pattaya. I figure I will go to the AIS store in Central Plaza and see what they offer me. If the price is significantly more expensive than the online AIS store, I will evaluate my options.

Any comments?

• 4 weeks later...

I often how many users really need and use many of the features on the more expensive phones? I have a 3 year old Huawei Y9 with a good memory and camera and for me it is enough. When I look at what it does offer tho there are so many features I never use. 

• Like 5
  • Great Info 2

The most i have ever spent on a phone was 500 US. The last phone i bought was 300 US and it has been great coming on to 2 years old and still get 36 hours on the battery per charge and i am a heavy user. Great camera tons of storage and Ram. I can't ever see spending more that 300 dollars for a phone.

'

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Phantom51red said:

Over rated i phones and certainly overpriced,for what most of people use them for the basics.

Got a Nokia 32gb that costs me £15.50 a month. Does everything I need it for so why pay more.

And this comes from someone who works with IPhone's all day.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Got a Nokia 32gb that costs me £15.50 a month. Does everything I need it for so why pay more.

And this comes from someone who works with IPhone's all day.

M nephew worked in apple shop up here for a while said same thing,i use samsung a52 does all i need and prob more but i dont dwelve to much into techy suff,,i refuse to pay over £500 for a phone never mind 1k  

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

M nephew worked in apple shop up here for a while said same thing,i use samsung a52 does all i need and prob more but i dont dwelve to much into techy suff,,i refuse to pay over £500 for a phone never mind 1k  

We refurbish them, the trade ins from Apple,and the state of a lot of them considering the price. Many are just a wreck,look like they have been hurled down the road.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, galenkia said:

We refurbish them, the trade ins from Apple,and the state of a lot of them considering the price. Many are just a wreck,look like they have been hurled down the road.

Do you ever get any ipods in ? ive still got one from yonks ago not sure which gen must be close to first ones that they released ,wondering if worth anything 

45 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

Do you ever get any ipods in ? ive still got one from yonks ago not sure which gen must be close to first ones that they released ,wondering if worth anything 

Only phones and iPad's currently but will be getting watches and laptops in the future.

They are probably too old to be really worth anything.

Could try Antiques Roadshow.🤣

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, galenkia said:

Only phones and iPad's currently but will be getting watches and laptops in the future.

They are probably too old to be really worth anything.

Could try Antiques Roadshow.🤣

Classic AR line “ Has it been in the family long”?

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Just saw the price list for the 14 ProMax on Apple Canada, unchanged from the 13, amazing in this era of inflation. Add 13-15 % in most provinces for taxes……I wasn’t joking when I said 3 grand…..

7539FBEF-1DA6-4C1E-853A-0FF7F3FE88BD.jpeg

With iCloud storage , really no requirement to go with that much storage , I currently have the iPhone 12 mini with 256GB and I have plenty of room 

Price for US customers hasn't changed much , but is going up for the U.K. 

Edited by Stillearly
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

With iCloud storage , really no requirement to go with that much storage , I currently have the iPhone 12 mini with 256GB and I have plenty of room 

I agree, the day I pay $2,500 for a phone, is the day I will pay 2,500 for LT or 20B for  songthaew……I mean enough is enough, the people must take a stand sometime…..

Thanks for the tip, when I visit England, I’m going to stuff a few devices in my luggage. Got to pay for those pints somehow 

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

I have had Mega Cloud storage for 10 years or longer and it gives you 50gb or it did when I signed up anyway. No ads no strings It has been very good they offer other packages but do not ever push them via ads. So simple when taking questionable photo while mongering. I simply upload those type of photos to Mega then before leaving for the airport delete them from my phone as well  as delete the mega app from my phone. Back at home reinstall the app and all good again.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stillearly said:

My game plan is to buy an iPhone 13 after the iPhone 14 release date. I am expecting the price for the 13 to drop at that time. I am not a heavy mobile device user and much more depend on my Windows 11 laptop (old dog that I am I guess).

My motivation is that my current iPhone XS is beginning to have problems. It was a great phone, but it is time to upgrade. The most important thing to me is maintaining the dual SIM capability. Better camera abilities would be nice.

From what I have read the Thailand release date for iPhone 14 is estimated to be October 14th, 2022.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, galenkia said:

We got just over 800 iPhone 12 pro's and 13 delivered on Friday. 

Looks like we're going to be busy. Between the three of us we can process about 200 phones a day after they come from the ATI guys doing QC. 

Are they all needing repair?

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

Are they all needing repair?

No, majority are usually good. Once the QC department pass them to us they just need cleaning and grading, we have 8 grades of condition and that's how we set the price they sell for. Then we convert and package them for sale. 

• Like 2

Just wanted to say that if your update to IOS 16 seemed to take forever……you are not alone. Have done many software updates, but this one definitely the longest. 15-20 minutes download, but also the next step-Install- took another 20 or so. Then the powering ON/OFF to complete…..just happy it’s done

• Great Info 1