The White House, Washington DC

Sherlock

I worked within the beltway for 5 years. Yes DC has some unpleasant temperature swings.

The view near the White House was never that great, but with the extra security fences added after Trump's failed coup, it is bleak at this time.

Back when I worked there (2008-2013) the best views were the ones leading up to Capitol Hill. There were also a lot of pretty decent museums worth a visit in this area. I liked strolling through there and taking in the sites. I especially liked the Art Museum and the American Natural History Museum. Although the later changed it's focus under W Bush to move away from displays pointed toward what the early settlements were like to the long history of war.

The walk along the reflection pool from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial is also very nice. A stop at the Jefferson Memorial on the return can also be a pleasant time. The Jefferson Memorial tends to attract a younger more vibrant crowd.

The best time to be in DC is for the Cherry Blossoms. These tend to bloom around April 10th or so. The cherry trees are all descendant from a gift from Japan. The trees in Japan bloom just a little earlier and are also a site to see.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

5 hours ago, Freee!! said:

Is it me or is there really something of a contradiction with that Secret Service?

He's wearing sunglasses, hence secret.

I've often wondered if the FBI, CIA, Secret Service and Mall cops all get a heavy discount at Ray Ban.

Nice pics @Sherlock, shame about the partition though. Magnificent building all the same.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

Well, it's a bit more impressive than 10 Downing Street, which looks like it would be better suited to hosting a pub or a nursing home than the government of the UK, lol.

46-130244701.jpg

In that case, I present you Catshuis, official residence for the Dutch prime minister:

1280px-President_Abbas_arriveert_bij_het

• Like 2