UK - VOIP Calls - All Fibre Connection but loss of telephone land line

john luke

I have just had an offer from my UK Broadband Provider to upgrade to an all  fibre internet connection.  On the face of it a faster connection at little increased costs.  The down side however is that the offer does not appear to include any option to keep my telephone land line.  

The downside of losing the telephone land line would not really affect me in that if I have to make any calls during the working day, I use my mobile which includes 5g mobile broadband  and unlimited texts and calls.  I would however lose my land line number and anyone wishing to call me would be obliged to use my mobile number, calls for which are expensive if made from a UK landline.  

I have briefly looked and VOIP packages but need to do more research.

Have any members gone over to All Fibre Broadband with loss of telephone land line?

I haven't had a landline in either Thailand or the UK in over 17 years, and I can't say that I've missed it at all. The only nagging doubt at the start was that the landline was 'always on', even during power cuts, but as long as it's charged so is my mobile. I thought BT was going to do away with land lines anyway, so I wouldn't sweat about it in the least. Much of the developing world has leapfrogged the capital-intensive land line stage of development anyway, going from bongo drums straight to smartphones. Land lines are just a holdover from a fast-dwindling era of outdated technology, unnecessary these days and soon to join the dodo in a museum.

In Australia my broadband service provider just ported my landline number to their VoIP service. With computers controlling everything nowadays it's just a matter of pulling the levers.

Surprised the same option is not available in the UK.

I have all fiber and no landline. No need for one these days, as all my calls are Mobile and use WiFi 

What I would say, is that it's not totally fiber unless the cable that runs into your home to home from outside is generally still old BT copper which does form a bit of a  bottle neck but still pretty fast  

I find that, although the connection is not always brilliant for voice calls, I can get away with using WhatsApp or FB  for international calls and texting. 

Broadband has come along way since "dial up". I remember a couple times in the old days when I forgot to log off then went to work leaving the connection on all day from my.landline, and got charged on my BT bill. 

I still use Skype for voice and video calls and ZOOM for online meetings, which are free and work pretty well if you have an unlimited broadband package. Of course, though, the recipients must be using the same software and be signed up.