Pigeons - Can i shoot them ?

Pumpuynarak

Well for the last few weeks we've been inundated with flying rats plaguing our house and garden here in Thailand. Needless to say getting rid of them by humane methods is nigh on impossible so i'm thinking of just shooting the bastards but.......

* Would it be legal to do ?

* If legal what gun would be legal to purchase that would do the job ? 

* If shooting them is not a possibility anyone have any ideas as to how to get rid of them, they really are a pain ?

If you plan to shoot them a simple pellet gun should be enough. If the bird is still alive, just break its neck, or squeeze it hard with 2 thumbs on its chest. -  then you can also eat the birds afterwards.

But a better way is to find their nests then remove and destroy the nests. Then make it impossible for the birds to make a new nest in the same place, this can be done with bird spikes. Thats what we do with seagulls here.

Alternatively you could hire someone to be a living scarecrow in your garden. 

I don't know if any of this is legal in Thailand.

Edited by Lirchenfeld
  • Thanks 1

1.. a gas air pistol will kill one if you have a good aim.

2.. hang it up in the garden from a tree

3.. no pigeon will come near your garden

learned this as a kind, works like a charm  and years ago has some old hag next door fed the damn things.  still cleared them

ps.. ffs dont eat them, these arent like good wild pigeon they eat all kinds of shit.

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Well for the last few weeks we've been inundated with flying rats plaguing our house and garden here in Thailand. Needless to say getting rid of them by humane methods is nigh on impossible so i'm thinking of just shooting the bastards but.......

* Would it be legal to do ?

* If legal what gun would be legal to purchase that would do the job ? 

* If shooting them is not a possibility anyone have any ideas as to how to get rid of them, they really are a pain ?

Ooooh how I feel for you! When I was living in the village I had exactly the same problem.

They seem to be attracted by the "new style" blue roof tiling. You aint gonna get them whilst they are on your roof so you need to attract them to a feeding area where you can poison them, but then you are risking killing things that you don't want to.

I have memories in my youth of our local Dorset town council getting rid of the pigeon problem by painting poison in the guttering and under the eaves but no idea what it was but it caused quite a furor at the time with dead pigeons in the town square!

47 minutes ago, Lirchenfeld said:

then you can also eat the birds afterwards

A lovely fat wood pigeon yes, a Thai flying rat no! I take my lead from Burmese, Laos, Cambodian and Thai workers on the farm. If they won't eat them then I won't.!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CampariO said:

Buy a scarecrow. Hang some shiny stuff that is moving (CDs). Electronic bird repellent. 

I have a plastic bird on the condo balcony which is ok for a small area.

I'm not quite ready to decorate the house and garden lol but thanks for your suggestion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well i googled and this is the reply i got......

The applicant must be Thai, as foreigners are not allowed to buy or carry any type of firearm or ammunition in Thailand. Note that in Thailand air guns are considered firearms and owners must be licensed to own and carry these weapons as well.

I have shot precisely one pigeon in my life.

I was about 13 at the time and a mate told me that his older brother had an air rifle which he kept in his bedroom of their family home and everybody was out at the time.

So there we were looking out of his open bedroom window and I had in my hands on this air rifle which had a telescopic sight. Sitting on the balcony of the flat opposite was this pigeon minding its own business. It sort of filled the sight but I was still surprised when I pulled the trigger and the pigeon flapped a bit as it fell off the balcony headed in a downward direction.

My mate and I then had a debate as to whether the pigeon was dead or only wounded and laying on the path below the flats in pain.

I shot it, so my mate was adamant that I had to go down and check. No, he would not come with me.

So down I went with the air rifle down the leg of my jeans ready to finish the pigeon off if it was still flapping around. Considering it had fallen from a tenth story balcony that was unlikely as it turned out to be.

Never killed a live pigeon ever again although I have terminated many a clay version from time to time. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Well i googled and this is the reply i got......

The applicant must be Thai, as foreigners are not allowed to buy or carry any type of firearm or ammunition in Thailand. Note that in Thailand air guns are considered firearms and owners must be licensed to own and carry these weapons as well.

yes of course, so your wife is the proud owenr of..

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I have shot precisely one pigeon in my life.

I was about 13 at the time and a mate told me that his older brother had an air rifle which he kept in his bedroom of their family home and everybody was out at the time.

So there we were looking out of his open bedroom window and I had in my hands on this air rifle which had a telescopic sight. Sitting on the balcony of the flat opposite was this pigeon minding its own business. It sort of filled the sight but I was still surprised when I pulled the trigger and the pigeon flapped a bit as it fell off the balcony headed in a downward direction.

My mate and I then had a debate as to whether the pigeon was dead or only wounded and laying on the path below the flats in pain.

I shot it, so my mate was adamant that I had to go down and check. No, he would not come with me.

So down I went with the air rifle down the leg of my jeans ready to finish the pigeon off if it was still flapping around. Considering it had fallen from a tenth story balcony that was unlikely as it turned out to be.

Never killed a live pigeon ever again although I have terminated many a clay version from time to time. 🤣

i cant remember how many I have shot, cut breasts off and dumped in diches.  breats, of wood pigeon, are lovely, the rest is a waste of plucking.  pheasant and duck were my favourite.  and if you can shoot a goose, you have cracked it reallly.  Rabbits are fun, and hares I used to swap at a local high eand restaurant for their amazing braised kidneys with fresh bread.

1 minute ago, tommy dee said:

i cant remember how many I have shot, cut breasts off and dumped in diches.  breats, of wood pigeon, are lovely, the rest is a waste of plucking.  pheasant and duck were my favourite.  and if you can shoot a goose, you have cracked it reallly.  Rabbits are fun, and hares I used to swap at a local high eand restaurant for their amazing braised kidneys with fresh bread.

I would recommend taking the legs as well, easy enough and enough good meat to be worth the effort. As for plucking, you might consider skinning, it is a lot quicker.

Slightly off-topic: Breasts and legs only is also the way to go with coots.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tommy dee said:

1.. a gas air pistol will kill one if you have a good aim.

2.. hang it up in the garden from a tree

3.. no pigeon will come near your garden

learned this as a kind, works like a charm  and years ago has some old hag next door fed the damn things.  still cleared them

ps.. ffs dont eat them, these arent like good wild pigeon they eat all kinds of shit.

THIS ^^^^^^

A rifle is far better and easier for the job and if hanging a dead one up doesn't deter the others, then hang a few up together and put a bucket underneath. The maggots that will fall off them from the flies will serve as food for the rest. This should make shooting the others easy especially if the sights are trimmed to the distance!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ha ! They are my number one hate currently.

Two days ago while sitting on my balcony I was visualizing lines of fire on the bastards. Of course I will never follow through. But the thought sure was enjoyable at the time.

I've always hated them.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Freee!! said:

I would recommend taking the legs as well, easy enough and enough good meat to be worth the effort. As for plucking, you might consider skinning, it is a lot quicker.

Slightly off-topic: Breasts and legs only is also the way to go with coots.

thats we we took breast only, skin in a second.  sod the legs, when you have a pile of them, why eat them 🙂

8 hours ago, Chang_Paarp said:

Some of the locals are very accurate with the sling shot. Ask around, or get your preferred  Thai speaker to ask and you may get a helper that way. It also keeps the locals happy. 

I have only seen Thais hunting what I can only describe as small partridge.

All they use is a stick and throw it at the bird whilst it is on the ground. They only need to hit a wing once and the bird is f***d and plucked! 

I can't imagine the effort you'd need to take out a flock of pigeons though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I have only seen Thais hunting what I can only describe as small partridge.

All they use is a stick and throw it at the bird whilst it is on the ground. They only need to hit a wing once and the bird is f***d and plucked! 

I can't imagine the effort you'd need to take out a flock of pigeons though.

You need to be very close to a pigeon to take it out with a sling shot and if you were that lucky the rest will do the offskie PDQ methinks.

An air rifle or poison is the way to go, with the rifle being more fun!

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, boydeste said:

You need to be very close to a pigeon to take it out with a sling shot and if you were that lucky the rest will do the offskie PDQ methinks.

An air rifle or poison is the way to go, with the rifle being more fun!

And hopefully less hazardous to other wildlife.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3