Visa on arrival

Nightcrawler

It's just been announced that from October 2022 the length of stay will increase from 30 days to 45 days  

I belive this was a temporary move during Covid for SHA then stopped later when rules were relaxed 

Doesn't say whether the new VOA is permanent or not, but sought to boost tourism at least for now. 

7 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

30 day extension according to this article.

Confirmed: Thailand Extends Visa On Arrival And Visa Exempt Stay Period From October

Under the new system, travelers will be able to stay a maximum of 75 days in Thailand which includes a one-time extension.

All is not as it seems, in good ol Thai fashion. :default_1087:

Apparently you have to leave the country to get an extension, so it's not an extension at all. LOL

Also apparently you don't get 45 days on arrival unless you have previously applied for it before leaving your home country.

• Great Info 1
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, boydeste said:

Apparently you have to leave the country to get an extension, so it's not an extension at all. LOL

Also apparently you don't get 45 days on arrival unless you have previously applied for it before leaving your home country.

Bloody typical. 

Will I be able to extend my visa in BKK considering my trip is 44 days.? 

Im not sure applying online from Sweden will be easy for me as I don't have resident status yet. 

59 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Bloody typical. 

Will I be able to extend my visa in BKK considering my trip is 44 days.? 

Im not sure applying online from Sweden will be easy for me as I don't have resident status yet. 

Exact details are still to come out, but currently if you arrive on visa exempt for 30 days, you can still extend normally for another 30 days.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, boydeste said:

2 questions mate

1) Do you have a source you can quoute or is this something that will come out the following days

2) I'm planning a 62 day next year, I had thought the new regs would mean 45 days on arrival, do a side -trip outside of Thailand and get a new stamp for 30 days

What's the best way for me to do this?

Would appreaciate any answers on question 2)🙂

Edited by Lemondropkid

14 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

2 questions mate

1) Do you have a source you can quoute or is this something that will come out the following day

2) I'm planning a 62 day next year, I had thought the new regs would mean 45 days on arrival, do a side -trip outside of Thailand and get a new stamp for 30 days

For some reason I can't paste links on my PC

Go to this on YT and watch from around 50 seconds.

Listen to all their comments.

Screenshot 2022-08-22 at 19.55.56.png

Edited by boydeste

19 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

2 questions mate

1) Do you have a source you can quoute or is this something that will come out the following day

Why not plan a 60 day and keep it simple?

If the 45 day exempt is still in operation then you should be able to do as you described.

Edited by boydeste

18 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Exact details are still to come out, but currently if you arrive on visa exempt for 30 days, you can still extend normally for another 30 days.

Sorry to bust your balls Stew... But will I be allowed into Thailand when they see I'm there for 44 days?  Without a visa. 

Surely they will check my flight itinerary. 

1 minute ago, Aqualung said:

Sorry to bust your balls Stew... But will I be allowed into Thailand when they see I'm there for 44 days?  Without a visa. 

I've arrived on a 60 day tourist visa with a return flight booked for 5 months later before now with no problems. The only question was when I checked in for my LGW -Dubai flight, when the agent said "you'll be extending your visa when you're there, yes?". I have read that some have had issues however....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

It's fine , lots of people extend whilst in Thailand , I've done it myself 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aqualung said:

That is always a tricky one, I usually get a 60 day TV, but my return flight is 90 days. I have never been refused boarding yet after many year of doing it. I am doing the same next trip.

Hopefully the 45 days will be active and working for you, If worried you can always book a throwaway flight to Cambodia or book a return after 30 days, then change it.

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

Why not plan a 60 day and keep it simple?

If the 45 day exempt is still in operation then you should be able to do as you described.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll check out your video link and try to do some more research- then come back with a better defined question if needed🙂

My main goals are flexibility( a longer stay if needed), and the ability to travel to multipile countries.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Thanks for the replies.

I'll check out your video link and try to do some more research- then come back with a better defined question if needed🙂

My main goals are flexibility( a longer stay if needed), and the ability to travel to multipile countries.

I overstayed by two days a few years ago , I did go to immigration first and they just said it would be cheaper to pay the fine .. 500 Baht per day  .. I was asked to go to the office at Swampy and paid the 1k 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, boydeste said:

On balance I don't think that the Thaiger can be relied upon with any confidence. They've already added an apology and a clarification to their comments.

The definitive source they quote are just random travellers- the article they link to written by a "John Belushi"😀

Only certainty seems to be uncertainty!!! Plenty of time to see how this evolves.

Personally I many follow your advice and go with the 60 day trip, not going to book till next month at the earliest anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lemondropkid said:

On balance I don't think that the Thaiger can be relied upon with any confidence. They've already added an apology and a clarification to their comments.

The definitive source they quote are just random travellers- the article they link to written by a "John Belushi"😀

Only certainty seems to be uncertainty!!! Plenty of time to see how this evolves.

Personally I many follow your advice and go with the 60 day trip, not going to book till next month at the earliest anyway.

Out of all the Thai news outlets, they are pretty good and have been fairly consistent, especially over the past couple of years.

Deciphering new rules is always difficult because they are often as clear as mud. EG current changes in the Canabis laws. That's why I was careful to put "apparently" in my statements. 

Planning a trip around known parameters, ie. 30 days, 60 days, 90 days is always the desired way to go for me if possible. Keeps things simple and less stressful.  Well appart from the hoops to jump through to get a basic TV. Lol

• Thumbs Up 1