Do you take any vitamin supplements?

Butch

I've long been a fan of Cod liver oil (in capsule form, but not mixed with Malt on a bloody spoon and force fed it as I'm sure some BM's might remember from their childhood) and I take regular vitamin C.

So, my daily supplement routine consists of a Cod liver oil gel capsule and 1000mg of Vitamin C.

I'm not sure if it the placebo effect, or if they are doing any good, but if I miss out on them due to being in a hurry, I *think* slightly I feel worse for it. Anyway, reason for this topic is to ask if any BM's are taking tumeric to help with joint inflammation or issues or to help general health and if they feel any benefits.

Be interested to hear thoughts and I'm also in favour of the method @boydeste uses in getting his daily iron ration through Guinness !!.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've been taking some of these for many years.

Omega 3 fish oil,garlic,a multivitamin,glucosamine & turmeric combined and vitamin D.

I had dodgy & very painful knees & whether the glucosamine & turmeric had an effect or it was my exercise regime(or a combination)they're better now.Guess I'll never know.

Vit D I think I need as I can't spend any time in the sun due to too much exposure already.

Garlic & omega 3 are pretty well proven to be beneficial.

When I first went to Saudi in 1980 we were recommended to take a daily multivitamin by our company medics & I've never stopped.

Do they do me any good or am I just throwing money away?

I don't know but I can afford it so I'll just carry on.

• Thumbs Up 2

I get a yearly physical, have not missed in 30 or so years right? Amazingly for a 66 year old " hack" I am doing amazingly well. The Lipid Panel, CBC, Metabolic Panel Blood test tell alot I have been told. 

So far, so good, never been over any of the required areas where I might need some help. 

Asked my local Dr and the one at Phayathai Hospital BKK if at my age even though I appear to be OK, should I take any kind of supplemental vitamins and they both said no need right now. Just keep doing what you are doing. 

I know alot of people who do take supplemental Vitamins and they are healthy. 

• Like 4

I take a cod liver oil capsule and a multivitamin tablet every day. This primarily because I don't generally eat fish. 

I will take 1000mg vitamin C with Zinc if I have a cold. 

Otherwise I try to eat plenty of veg.

Oh and the occasional Guinness. 

• Like 2

Over the years I had a number of sports related injuries. This lead to a shoulder joint replacement, a c-spine fusion, and some spinal cord damage. Supplements I take keep me moving:

Vitamin D - is essential for maintaining healthy bones and teeth. It also plays many other important roles in the body, including regulating inflammation and immune function.

Vitamin B12 - essential nutrient that your body needs for processes, like DNA synthesis, energy production, and central nervous system function

Magnesium - plays an important role in assisting more than 300 enzymes to carry out various chemical reactions in the body such as building proteins and strong bones, and regulating blood sugar, blood pressure, and muscle and nerve functions.

Lately, as a sleep aid, I've added a nightly dose of melatonin and occasionally cannabis tinctures (homemade THC & CBD infusions). ZZZzzz...

Edited by lazarus
@@
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've always believed the best way to take Cod liver oil was as a liquid mixed with a little milk, I was told the milk coats your throat and stomach giving the cod liver oil a chance to enter the blood stream.

I also take a multi vitamin tablet daily and recently start taking a CBD 10mg capsule, no idea if it helps but I do seem to have more energy.

The one thing that I found that really helped ease my arthritis was to stop drinking orange juice.

I used to take a daily multivitamin, but stopped after reading enough reports that stated if you have a well balance diet you get all the vitamins you need from the food you eat.

Now the only supplement I take is 1500mg of glucosamine with MSM to help alleviate the soreness in a bad shoulder. Even that I was skeptical about, but after a month of taking the supplement there was a noticeable decrease in the chronic pain.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Butch said:

I've long been a fan of Cod liver oil (in capsule form, but not mixed with Malt on a bloody spoon and force fed it as I'm sure some BM's might remember from their childhood) and I take regular vitamin C.

So, my daily supplement routine consists of a Cod liver oil gel capsule and 1000mg of Vitamin C.

Be interested to hear thoughts and I'm also in favour of the method @boydeste uses in getting his daily iron ration through Guinness !!.

I have taken vitamins over the years but gave it away with the exception of Borocca which I take if "having a few drinks" such as in a trip to LOS.

I now aim to get the vitamins etc I need from food. Good tasty health food is my aim which I manage to do quite a bit.

Smoked salmon 2-3 times a week in salads or vegs and lots of other green vegs/ salads. Fruit in season. Stop drinking soft drinks with artificial sweeteners and now have a squeeze of lemon juice with plain soda water over ice. Good stuff.

Thats pretty well the advice of nutritionists etc as well.

Much more in this book which I found excellent -

This Book Could Save Your Life by Graham Lawton

About the Author
After a degree in biochemistry and a MSc in science communication, both from Imperial College, Graham Lawton landed at New Scientist, where he has been for almost all the 21st century, first as features editor and now as executive editor. His writing and editing have won a number of awards.

Each to their own as usual

10 minutes ago, Zambo said:

I tried this for my knee, but got sceptical after about 3 days and gave up.

You need to give it a longer try to realize the benefits. It wasn't until about four weeks after I started on glucosamine I realized my shoulder no longer hurt raising my elbow above the shoulder.

8 minutes ago, Zambo said:

These effervescent vitamin C are about THB500 for 45. Each 1000mg VitC +zinc, I have about 3 a daScreenshot_20220825-122359_Google.jpg

Understand there are side effects of taking too much vitamin C. In addition your body can't process all that C, so you're literally pissing away good money.

https://www.houstonmethodist.org/blog/articles/2020/apr/does-getting-more-vitamin-c-really-keep-you-from-getting-sick/

In addition, vitamin C is water-soluble, making it hard for your body to store it — with excess being secreted in your urine. So even if you're adult and can handle the 1,000 mg in each vitamin C packet or pill, just know that your body can't absorb (or, therefore, use) more than about 400 mg. This means that most of the vitamin C in that supplement you're taking just goes down your toilet (literally).

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

but stopped after reading enough reports that stated if you have a well balance diet you get all the vitamins you need from the food you eat.

Totally agree but I take mine for specific reasons.

- I was prescribed high strength iron supplements after suffering nerve damage in the base of my spine caused by bouncing around Africa in my company Suzuki Vitara (great fun to drive!)

- I was prescribed high strength Vit B when I was sick here a few years ago and it increased my energy levels quite considerably. If I can get it sent to me then I continue taking it but as you say for normal day to day health nowt wrong with dark green cabbage and sprouts!

Edited by Derek Dangleberries

6 hours ago, Zambo said:

I tried this for my knee, but got sceptical after about 3 days and gave up.

As said before it takes a while.

Turmeric is also good for the joints,so have a ruby a couple of days a week or take supplements.