Kathmandu, Nepal - anybody been there?

CampariO

Planning an 8-day trip to Nepal, 5  nights Kathmandu and maybe 2 nights somewhere else.

No, not climbing up Mt. Everest or going trecking, just a bit of walking through the city with the Mrs.

I am looking for some input regarding places to see, eat or enjoying the evening. Maybe BM @Kathmandu can give some input?

So far I have applied for the tourist visa, booked a flight with Thaismile, booked the Kumari Boutique Hotel in Thamel.

Following sights are on my list, though the sequence and combinations might get revised:

Day 1: check in at hotel, walk around Thamel

Day 2: Asan and Indra Chok Bazar, Itum Bahal Pagoda, Kathesimbhu Stupa, Hanuman Dhoka, Kumari Ghar temple, Durbar Square

Day 3: Garden of Dreams, Swayambhunath

Day 4: Pashupatinath Temple, Boudhanath Stupa, Bhaktapur

Day 5: Kopan Monastery

Day 6: Dakshinkali Temple, Chandragiri Hills, Nagarkot

Day 7: ???

Might skip some of it and jump on a plane to some other region. The lake at Pokhara would be an option.

Other destinations don't seem to be worth the flight expenses, such as Lumbini, the traditional birthplace of Buddha or Janakpur with the largest temple of Nepal.

We don't fancy riding elephants in the Chitwan National Park and a helicopter ride to the base camp will be above our budget. Maybe will do just a short sightseeing flight into the mountains with a small plane, costs around 200 USD per person.

Thanks for any information in advance.

Have fun. I worked with a couple Nepalese boys in a warehouse over 20 years ago, a long  while later I ran into them at their new restaurant. Assuming the home country is the same as their fare, you will eat very well

Funnily enough, they named it Mt Everest Kitchen

Edited by Golfingboy