Wifi & Visa Issues

Jayjay

I'm pretty sure these questions have been asked here plenty of times but I wasn't sure where else to ask and I am leaving for Bangkok next month so any help will be greatly appreciated. Like I mentioned on the introduction page this will be my 7th time to Thailand. The first 5 were simple due to me going to a muaythai camp but the last time I had some issues. 

First was the wifi. I rented a cheap apartment but the wifi was pretty bad and I work online so I'm wondering what options there are. I've heard about sim cards and pocket wifi's. Not sure how fast and reliable these are. If there are any better options please let me know. I'm talking fast enough wifi that's reliable and can last me the 85 days I am out there.

Secondly was visas. A few times I've gone out for only a month but 1 time I got a 90 day visa from the help of a camp that sent me an invitation letter. Last time I went out I couldn't get this at the Thai Embassy in London so I got a 60 day visa instead and got a 30 day extension whilst I was out there. Can you still do this? I looked at the requirements and they seemed to add on a few things like proof of sufficient fiance and some type of booking reservations. I didn't need these things last time. 

And lastly any recommended things to do in Bangkok whilst I am out there. The mistake I've made in the past was concentrating too much on muaythai training so when I wasn't training I would be eating, sleeping, working or watching fights which was fun but I did very little exploring. Oh yeah I almost forgot when does the rainy season end? I'll be arriving late september.

I have just done a EVisa for 60 days , they want you to jump through hoops and give them a lot of unnecessary stuff , but once done you get confirmation in a couple of days ...  ( you can do a 90 day visa as well I think )  

just buy a SIM with data when you land , all the companies are represented in the arrivals hall , think pricing is similar.. but the shortest queue normally helps me decide..

rainy season should be ending when you arrive ( you might get a little rain ) temps should be pretty good for Bangkok 

Loads to do in Bangkok https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g293916-Activities-Bangkok.html

Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy can also be fun allegedly... 😉 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I have just done a EVisa for 60 days , they want you to jump through hoops and give them a lot of unnecessary stuff , but once done you get confirmation in a couple of days ...  ( you can do a 90 day visa as well I think )  

just buy a SIM with data when you land , all the companies are represented in the arrivals hall , think pricing is similar.. but the shortest queue normally helps me decide..

rainy season should be ending when you arrive ( you might get a little rain ) temps should be pretty good for Bangkok 

Loads to do in Bangkok https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g293916-Activities-Bangkok.html

Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy can also be fun allegedly... 😉 

Thanks for the help. Have they stopped doing visa extensions? Because then I'd be happy to get a 60 day one and add on 30 day extension whilst I'm there but of course 90 is more convenient and I am nervous about taking the risk. I've been to soi cowboy several times. One of my muaythai trainers wife was a pimp there. Had some fun times.

1 minute ago, Jayjay said:

Thanks for the help. Have they stopped doing visa extensions? Because then I'd be happy to get a 60 day one and add on 30 day extension whilst I'm there but of course 90 is more convenient and I am nervous about taking the risk. I've been to soi cowboy several times. One of my muaythai trainers wife was a pimp there. Had some fun times.

No you can still do that , think it costs 1,900 Baht , plus a side trip to Phnom Penh or somewhere else is pretty cheap 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Sorry I forgot to ask. One last thing and ill leave you alone. What was the process for an EVisa? Did you have to go to the embassy or did you do it all online?

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Jayjay said:

Sorry I forgot to ask. One last thing and ill leave you alone. What was the process for an EVisa? Did you have to go to the embassy or did you do it all online?

All online and is a real pain the first time as Stills says ..

..but once you have JPEGs PDFs etc of scanned documents much easier.

• Like 1

Another thought - and everybody's situation can be different.

One can currently get a 45 day permission to stay with an upon arrival visa. Once on the ground one can extend that to a 90 day permission to stay. I live in Thailand, so I may have things in place (bank account, long term rental contract, etc) that makes this approach work better for me than it would for other shorter term visitors.

Just saying that the OP might want to take a look at this alternative. It eliminates the e-visa process and cost. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

One can currently get a 45 day permission to stay with an upon arrival visa. Once on the ground one can extend that to a 90 day permission to stay. I live in Thailand, so I may have things in place (bank account, long term rental contract, etc) that makes this approach work better for me than it would for other shorter term visitors.

Just saying that the OP might want to take a look at this alternative. It eliminates the e-visa process and cost. 

I'll look into that as well. Thank you.

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

The 45 days is for certain countries that are eligible for visa exempt and I am not sure when it starts or for how long you can extend it for, possibly only another 30.

It is worth considering if it suits. 

Edited by boydeste

3 hours ago, Jayjay said:

It's amazing how many times you can upload your passport picture to answer a question...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

The 45 day VOA won't come into effect until October 1st, so not available to the OP who posted he's planning his trip for late September. It's also not official until published in the Royal Gazette.

• Like 2

Rarely have wi-fi issues up here in CM.

Visa stuff... not gonna touch that one. Ask 100 different guys, get 100 different answers. Things change constantly, Hire a good/reputable agency in the province you plan on spending most of your time. Budget for it, well worth the dosh IMO.... something you can't f**k around with.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

On 8/31/2022 at 4:17 PM, nampla69 said:

All online and is a real pain the first time as Stills says ..

..but once you have JPEGs PDFs etc of scanned documents much easier.

Thanks for the help. Evisa came through with little issues mainly due to you mentioning the JPEGs and PDFs. It was sent to me via email and have it saved on my phone but I was wondering if its better to print it out or is that unnecessary? I've got it here saved on my phone but don't have a printer. The nearest place I know of that has a printer is pretty far so don't want to travel if I dont need to but then again not sure how immigration would act if I just showed them my phone.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jayjay said:

Thanks for the help. Evisa came through with little issues mainly due to you mentioning the JPEGs and PDFs. It was sent to me via email and have it saved on my phone but I was wondering if its better to print it out or is that unnecessary? I've got it here saved on my phone but don't have a printer. The nearest place I know of that has a printer is pretty far so don't want to travel if I dont need to but then again not sure how immigration would act if I just showed them my phone.

It's always easier and quicker if you have hard copies.

There is also the issue if your phone gets stolen or dropped.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jayjay said:

1,000,000% get printed copies. Imagine no signal in Swampy airport offing around. Hard copies in plastic sleeves ...barely get glanced at anymore but sometimes do on boarding flights still. Get hard copies worth it for the peace of mind mate !!

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

19 hours ago, nampla69 said:

1,000,000% get printed copies. Imagine no signal in Swampy airport offing around. Hard copies in plastic sleeves ...barely get glanced at anymore but sometimes do on boarding flights still. Get hard copies worth it for the peace of mind mate !!

Plastic coverings is a good tip that's rarely mentioned. Been moving toward those recently for both passport and copies of stuff. Can't understand why it took me so long. Pure laziness I reckon.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Plastic coverings is a good tip that's rarely mentioned. Been moving toward those recently for both passport and copies of stuff. Can't understand why it took me so long. Pure laziness I reckon.

I laminated my Covid certs and double sided strong plastic (eco-friendly of course) wallets for visas, flights and hotel details insurance etc. Makes check-in staff happy and even immigration you sometimes get a smile for being organised and not wasting their time.

• Like 3