Current Road Works Pattaya (Threads Merged)

Bazle

The Problem With Palm Trees

I ran across this article and it happens to back up what I have been saying for years, that all those Bloody Plam Trees on the beach do not cool things down.

Even the Bloody shade from those Palms is not a cool shade like the shade of a real tree.......I finally have some prof here......Ha.......

I was not crazy after all for saying this.......

Everyone intuitively knows this......That's why the walkway is almost devoid of people in the daytime... It's frigging HOT...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2011-12-19/the-problem-with-palm-trees

Ficus and Rosewood trees, meanwhile, have much lower water needs and managed to cool the surrounding area by seven degrees and three degrees, respectively. The palms chilled the air less than one degree.

A similar study on oases in southern Israel found that palms actually managed to warm the surrounding area.

Edited by fforest
  • Great Info 1

• 2 weeks later...

@john luke Looks like some real progress being made on Beach Rd huh? And for the better. Remember for many years, it was dicey to say the least, walking around there for sure. I have not been there since Sept 2018.

That all changes when wifey and I arrive this Sunday for 5 days. 

Thanks for the pics..I like feeling safe LOL! 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Yessongs said:

@john luke Looks like some real progress being made on Beach Rd huh? And for the better. Remember for many years, it was dicey to say the least, walking around there for sure. I have not been there since Sept 2018.

That all changes when wifey and I arrive this Sunday for 5 days. 

Thanks for the pics..I like feeling safe LOL! 

Yea, beach road is not dicey anymore at least during daylight hours.... Because it's practically deserted...

Due to it being very hot with hardly any shade and having zero seating.........

Yes, the riff-raff is gone along with everyone else..

The numbers are much reduced at night too...

Does anyone remember when the beach at night was lined from one end to the other with girls?....

A few times I was on a baht bus and did a beach girl count at night... I counted over 500 girls..... 

Edited by fforest
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I had an appointment at BHP yesterday afternoon, so I set off around 50 minutes beforehand, which is plenty of time. The first obstacle was the Thepprasit road works, which were once again snarling up the eastbound traffic. I got onto Thepprasit at Soi 8 and it was soon clear that it was jammed all the way to Suk, so I did a U-turn and took Soi 5 up to Suk just south of Lotus. If I'd stayed on Thepprasit I'd never have made the appointment. But even on Sukhumvit, on an ordinary weekday, the traffic was manic, backed-up from the lights at South Pattaya  Road almost to the Thepprasit junction. Similar large queues at all the other traffic lights, too. I made it in time, but the amount of traffic on the roads is crazy, before the pandemic it was only ever this bad during a public holiday. Pattaya seems to be becoming unliveable, at least if you want to live a normal life and get out and about the place.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Surprised they didn't design the new parking area for angle parking. Probably fit at least twice as many cars into the same space.
image.jpeg

As much as a Hate Hate the new promenade ..........One good thing did happen....They took out a whole bunch of those dammed Palm Trees to make these parking places...

It's beyond shameful that they had 3 years and a massive budget $$$$$ and have created a walkway with all the charm of a strip shopping center parking lot....

Anyone one of you guy could draw up something way better with just an hour spent on the internet looking at pictures of parks around the world....

Edited by fforest
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/8/2023 at 10:53 AM, john luke said:

0B0A0428.jpg

0B0A0433.jpg

0B0A0434.jpg

0B0A0435.jpg

0B0A0432.jpg

0B0A0436.jpg

Chaotic scene on Second Road; the two concrete mixers are (or were at the time I left) blocking the only available lane and dropping concrete.  The traffic has built up past the lights and out towards Jomtien.

Cripes all mighty....

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's never-frigging-ending! I went to Siamburi's this morning, so straight up Thepprasit to Suk. Only there was a long traffic queue tailing all the way back to the filling stations because they've decided to dig up the road again on the eastbound side near Suk and relay all the drains. I'm sure this is the third time they've done that stretch, and at the moment Thepprasit is reduced to just one lane heading towards Suk.

Having got what I wanted (more of the very cheap O'Hara's Nitro stout!) at the shop, I headed back down Nongkrabok to Suk. There I simply turn right at Soi Wat Boon or do a U-turn, either way will get me back to where I live along Thepprasit. But not today, they've decided to dig up half the southbound carriageway and the turning at Wat Boon is completely blocked off, so you've no choice but to go all the way down to Chaiyapruek. It was only a few years ago that they completely resurfaced this part of Suk, why in the name of Buddha do they need to do it again?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still no work on Soi 15, the mess has been left.....

019.JPG

Could not believe this mess I saw about mid night coming out of W/S..

I thought this was all finished...

020.JPG     

This is going on at ''The Avenue''......

022.JPG

024.JPG

And this by Soi Dianna........

025.JPG                 

026.JPG 

027.JPG

Edited by Blue Streak
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

Beach Rd lads now from Mikes Shopping north.......

I think they have been laying a cable and cementing it in as they go, look

for a couple of bits where they couldn't get the blocks in and just dumped

cement in and troweled in the brick lines......

028.JPG

030.JPG

032.JPG

This is the beast that's been doing it...

041.JPG 

Just north of Pattaya Klang. 

043.JPG

Up to Soi 6 tomorrow......

029.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Fresh circles of Hell appearing on Thepprasit. As well as the centre of the road being blocked for most of its length now, it looks like they're installing traffic lights at the Soi Kopai (Soi 6) junction. That's an odd choice as Soi 8 is a wider and busier north-south road, yet there's no way to turn right into or out of it now. A few days ago I watched as a coach tried to turn left from Soi 7 onto Thepprasit, but was unable to do so because of the new central reservation and cars parked on the road. The last I saw it had blocked the entire westbound side of the road but still couldn't make the turn, but I didn't hang around to find out how they sorted that one out.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

3 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Fresh circles of Hell appearing on Thepprasit. As well as the centre of the road being blocked for most of its length now, it looks like they're installing traffic lights at the Soi Kopai (Soi 6) junction. That's an odd choice as Soi 8 is a wider and busier north-south road, yet there's no way to turn right into or out of it now. A few days ago I watched as a coach tried to turn left from Soi 7 onto Thepprasit, but was unable to do so because of the new central reservation and cars parked on the road. The last I saw it had blocked the entire westbound side of the road but still couldn't make the turn, but I didn't hang around to find out how they sorted that one out.

Just crazy how they're putting that central median in with no cutouts for traffic to access businesses and condos on the opposite side. You would think by this point in time the Thai engineers would have enough experience with what works and what doesn't. But going by the Thepprasit project, they still have a long way to go with learning proper traffic flow skills.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks, guys for the beach photos......I would take more but it's depressing looking at the mess and all that concrete they are covering the walkway with...(except for the bloody Palm trees, of course)...lol.........

No money for plants,

but plenty of money it seems for some very bad ass and powerful looking 5G broadcasting stations.....

5G could have a very long thread in itself....

But I would think they would want to be broadcasting all this 5G goodness toward the city of Pattaya and not onto the walkway as in, at least the picture above.....

Internet reception is already very good on the beach...

Edited by fforest
  • Thumbs Up 2