Current Road Works Pattaya (Threads Merged)

Bazle

3 hours ago, Blue Streak said:

So it looks like an exodus of workers and plant from the Soi 15 project........

003.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

The story, from 3 different business owners, both Thai and farang, and at both ends of soi 15, is that the works have been delayed indefinitely pending an investigation into the fire that happened back in ?October?

The workers that remain are currently "making good" the edges near various buildings... the laundries just south of City garden have had new concrete slabs to replace those presumably damaged in the initial works. This morning they were building a new step infront of part of the Urban.  

Pics tomorrow if I remember.

• Like 3
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Painter said:

The story, from 3 different business owners, both Thai and farang, and at both ends of soi 15, is that the works have been delayed indefinitely pending an investigation into the fire that happened back in ?October?

The workers that remain are currently "making good" the edges near various buildings... the laundries just south of City garden have had new concrete slabs to replace those presumably damaged in the initial works. This morning they were building a new step infront of part of the Urban.  

Pics tomorrow if I remember.

Not sure why the couldn't join those new bits up with the road, but....

20230126_111132.jpg

20230126_111106.jpg

20230126_111119.jpg

20230126_110904.jpg

20230126_110851.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Looks like things are still a cluster, almost everywhere.

Would appreciate a review on 2nd road progress and Soi 15 as those are the most travelled, and cause of the primary bottlenecks. When those are cleared up is when folks might be willing to come back.

On 1/25/2023 at 11:58 PM, Painter said:

Investigate? What's to investigate?  The big metal arm on the digger machine contacted the low hanging power wires that are all along the soi, causing a short which resulted in a big spark which ignited the vegetation and a big fire started.

Ok.  Investigation over.

Let's resume the work so maybe they'll be done by next Christmas.  

btw: the word I heard from a bar owner near the fire area was that they had used up all the money allotted for the Soi 15 part of the overall project and no more work will be done until more money is allocated.   I have no idea if this is true or not.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, johnpat said:

Investigate? What's to investigate?  The big metal arm on the digger machine contacted the low hanging power wires that are all along the soi, causing a short which resulted in a big spark which ignited the vegetation and a big fire started.

Ok.  Investigation over.

btw: the word I heard from a bar owner near the fire area was that they had used up all the money allotted for the Soi 15 part of the overall project and no more work will be done until more money is allocated.   I have no idea if this is true or not.

so.... you are saying that no work has been completed on Soi 15 since that fire.    Holy fucking Smokes !

How'd you like to own a condo down there ? That is unreal !

20 minutes ago, johnpat said:

Ok.  Investigation over.

Hard to believe there's no completion clause in the contract, but then TIT.

One thing I thought when the digger shorted the lines and caused the fire is the contractor is probably in deep shit having to pay for the damage. Can't imagine they had insurance as that would be a sure way for an insurance company to go out of business, selling insurance policies to Thai contractors.

If that's the case, that might explain why no further work is being done on Soi 15 as the contractor probably went bankrupt.

• Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, johnpat said:

Ok.  Investigation over.

Dont forget that they can't question the digger driver, as they cant find him  he's returned to over the border from whence he came...

At least it is now sort of passable to most vehicles, although the brand new Lamborghini I saw turning off of soi buckhou the other day decided that his car was not going to successfully pass over the offroad section outside Grande Avenue... and as for the dust, songkran has come early in places as the taxi guys try to damp the surface down!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, johnpat said:

Ok.  Investigation over.

I missed the bit where your investigation says who pays whom how much compensation and when.

Until that is cleared up I think it is normal practice to stop work until responsibility and compensation is decided. There may be 3, 4 or more layers of Contracts, subcontracts and no contracts to investigate, so any reallocation and continuation of work in itself  will be subject to legal appeals...

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I missed the bit where your investigation says who pays whom how much compensation and when.

Until that is cleared up I think it is normal practice to stop work until responsibility and compensation is decided. There may be 3, 4 or more layers of Contracts, subcontracts and no contracts to investigate, so any reallocation and continuation of work in itself  will be subject to legal appeals...

Just look at the building down on the bay....   lol

I used to work with a guy who did "risk management". We even had our own section in the P.D. for it, separate from the finance departments who were primarily responsible (insurance, accounting,etc.).

I remember him saying how astonishingly unbelievable it was how underinsured most insurance funds were. Typically, when major claims came down, they would basically turn their pockets inside out and say "no hab". That was the end of the story. These are major companies I am talking about not some mom and pop set ups.

unreal

• Haha 1

Feel sorry for these guys. Can't begin to imagine the long term damage they're causing to their lungs. Probably wasn't their idea to make it worse by enclosing their work area with the wind barrier. Suspect it was a brain dead supervisor that didn't want the dust spreading.

0B0A1780.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 2

On 2/2/2023 at 6:16 PM, john luke said:

A lot of gaps to be filled.

0B0A1069.jpg

When you posted your pic of the gaps they're leaving I thought it strange, but thought maybe they would be putting in decorative pieces to break up the monotony of long stretches of the same pavers.

Apparently not as I saw this morning they're cutting to size the same grey pavers to fill the gaps.

That then begs the question why they laid the pavers from two directions with the not so surprising result they have a gap. Bizarre to say the least, Thai engineering at it's finest on display.

image.jpeg

• Haha 5