is t true u get 45day visa now

As far as I am aware, this is a proposal and is still be to be published in the Royal Gazette. There was discussion in another thread about requirements for entry on this 45 day visa exempt meaning you might (or might not) have to apply before arrival. 

Knowing Thailand, if it starts on October 1st, it'll be published on September 30th, and the rules finalised on October 2nd!

I'd wait before doing anything until early October...

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Does seem daft ... hardly encouraging tourism 

3 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Each tourist having an opportunity to stay an extra fortnight really helps the lower levels of Thai society and it really pisses me off that it has been removed.

TiT...

Screw things up at the soonest possible time.

Sounds to me that the 'powers that be' just want more entry and visa extension fees to pay for whiskey & sodas after work.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

35 minutes ago, biggles said:

There is a cabinet meeting on Tuesday at which a renewal of the 45 day entry will be discussed. 

So typical of a Thai govt, had six months to decide but can't make a decision. 

Hasn't parliament been dissolved and the emergency decree suspended ??

EDIT = These are honest questions because I don't know what powers the Thai Government has leading up to the election..

Edited by Derek Dangleberries

I believe the original idea was to offer an incentive to increase tourism at a time that Covid was still evident and the extra 15 days was also beneficial to anybody that might fall foul of isolation or hospitalization.

The original plan was to return to the previous maximum of 30 days after March 31 2023.

The TAT has pointed to the huge rise in the number of tourists since extending the maximum time limit for visa-free stays.

The TAT also say more than 11 million foreign nationals visited Thailand last year. The TAT credits the extension of visa-free stays with helping to achieve this.

The TAT want to keep boosting tourism, that is their remit but the government may say that the objective of the 45 day visa free entry has been achieved and it can revert back to 30 days as Covid is 'no longer' a big issue as it once was.

A bit of a Catch 22 situation maybe although you would think the government would also want to continue to stimulate tourism.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Hasn't parliament been dissolved and the emergency decree suspended ??

EDIT = These are honest questions because I don't know what powers the Thai Government has leading up to the election..

you are correct.  its a snafu.  it expired friday so back to 30 days, and technically the caretaker govt cant extend it.  but this is thailand so who know

• Like 2

1 hour ago, karon steve said:

I wonder how many of those tourists used the extra 15 days?

I wonder how many knew about it when they made their travel plans?

This current hokey cokey, in out in out, shake it all about, fucking shambles means that there will never be any meaningful statistics until the 45 day visa free days have been operational for a year ....

• Great Info 2

5 hours ago, karon steve said:

I wonder how many of those tourists used the extra 15 days?

Yes, we would need to see statistics that show how many tourists have stayed for 45 days. I believed the idea was to offer another couple of weeks in case they were Covid positive on arrival and put into quarantine and then they would be free to go have 30 days for their holiday.

It is a benefit to a lot of individuals who want to stay longer with no intention to only stay 30 days before getting an extension to stay for a further period. I would think the majority of real tourists would find a 30 day entry covers their needs perfectly.

A tourist who wants to stay longer has the option to get a 60 day tourist visa but many do not want the hassle of organising that option. My mate goes for 4 months, never gets more than the visa on arrival but does like to take a side trip out of Thailand before returning for another stay .

• Like 2

It's a big benefit to us. We keep a permanent rental in Pattaya but a 60 day visa in Manila takes two business days to issue. So it's either one night hotel in Manila or two 100km return trips to get an extra 15 days. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 9 months later...

take it we still on 30days visas then as ive seen reports that they going to drop for uk usa and other euro countries soon.as im due to fly out on 21st feb for 5 weeks so look like ill have to go down to the office for a extention while im there

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thunder367 said:

take it we still on 30days visas then as ive seen reports that they going to drop for uk usa and other euro countries soon.as im due to fly out on 21st feb for 5 weeks so look like ill have to go down to the office for a extention while im there

Report back on your experiences!

Anybody can read news updates and forum updates but there is nothing like an on the ground experience of what actually happens.

1 hour ago, thunder367 said:

As far as I'm aware, you will get 30 days visa exempt stamp, as usual, on arrival.

If staying longer, then you have 2 choices

1. A trip to an immigration office for an extension

2. Apply for a 60 day tourist visa before flying (like, now) and avoid the trip to immigration. 

Beware, there are reports on some forums/fakebook of some airlines at some airports declining boarding/causing issues if your return flight is beyond the 30 day visa exempt stamp that you will get upon arrival. I know... people have been doing it for years and never had an issue.... but there are reports. As I  understand it, if immigration at swampy decline you permission to enter Thailand as you have no booked ticket to leave within the initial 30 day visa exempt stamp, the airline is fined and has to return you to where you came from. 

36 minutes ago, Painter said:

As far as I'm aware, you will get 30 days visa exempt stamp, as usual, on arrival.

If staying longer, then you have 2 choices

1. A trip to an immigration office for an extension

2. Apply for a 60 day tourist visa before flying (like, now) and avoid the trip to immigration. 

Beware, there are reports on some forums/fakebook of some airlines at some airports declining boarding/causing issues if your return flight is beyond the 30 day visa exempt stamp that you will get upon arrival. I know... people have been doing it for years and never had an issue.... but there are reports. As I  understand it, if immigration at swampy decline you permission to enter Thailand as you have no booked ticket to leave within the initial 30 day visa exempt stamp, the airline is fined and has to return you to where you came from. 

thanks been looking int ogettign the 60day one but the link to the form on the uk thai embassy does not work have u got a link to right site ot use to apply plz