Why is my laptop getting really hot ?

Pumpuynarak

Well my 10 year old AIO Acer PC has finally bit the dust so its off to get a new one. In the meantime i'm using my old Sony laptop which is getting alarmingly hot and i mean very hot to the point of nearly being too hot to touch.

Now because the battery is basically f***** i have to have it constantly plugged in, could that be a reason ?

Any ideas and solutions would be appreciated guys, TIA

16 minutes ago, forqalso said:

The bad battery can make it hot. Is it a removable battery, or is it completely internal? If it’s removable, can you use the laptop plugged in with the battery out? If you can, does it still get hot?

Ah yes the good old days when it was possible to remove the battery yourself! 

Very good advice!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Good chance the cooling vents are blocked with accumulated dust. Same with the cool fan. I recently had to replace the cooling fan on my 3 year old laptop because the the dust had gotten into the bearings to the point the motor could no longer turn the blades.

The quick and dirty solution is take the computer to someplace that has compressed air and give it a good cleaning with blasts of air into the vents. While you're at it, take your keyboard too and use the same cleaning method. You'll be surprised at the amount of gunk that accumulates in a keyboard.

• Like 2

Probably your Cooling fan isn't running or the vents are blocked as previously mentioned. 

When my 10 year old machine is struggling,  I hoover out the vents and by putting the nozzle directly over the one nearest the fan, it makes the fan turn at high speed which usually frees any build up in the bushes too. May well f**k it too so be careful. lol

If the vents happen to be under the machine,  using it on your lap will stop the ventilation too!

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

14 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Good chance the cooling vents are blocked with accumulated dust. Same with the cool fan. I recently had to replace the cooling fan on my 3 year old laptop because the the dust had gotten into the bearings to the point the motor could no longer turn the blades.

The quick and dirty solution is take the computer to someplace that has compressed air and give it a good cleaning with blasts of air into the vents. While you're at it, take your keyboard too and use the same cleaning method. You'll be surprised at the amount of gunk that accumulates in a keyboard.

Excellent advice. There does need to be a basic cleanup after the 10K doughnut crumb mark.

I bought a small laptop vacuum device from Lazada a while back and it seems to help. Certainly not the end all.

Here is the link to the subject on Lazada. I do not see the one I bought several years ago.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.home.search.2.11257f6dY7FGIG&q=mini vacuum cleaner laptop&_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--8042373179294161720__abId--303285__Score--0.021564661757977947__pvid--a516aaa9-7665-4070-9834-12afad506ef2__matchType--2__matchList--2-3__srcQuery--mini vacuum cleaner laptop__spellQuery--mini vacuum cleaner laptop__ctrScore--0.19700942933559418__cvrScore--0.0034564293455332518&from=suggest_normal&sugg=mini vacuum cleaner laptop_1_1

Another thing that I do is when I sit down with Mr. Computer to start the day or what not, I look for any small particles on the keyboard or screen and clean them away. My higher end $3000 USD laptop has now lasted one year. I run 24x7 on it. I should probably buy a better protected tower device for the 24x7 part and better protect the laptop from this degree of duty.    

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Here's an old post with a recommendation for an external cooling fan. @Pumpuynarak I take you decided not to pull the trigger back then on buying a new computer?

Thanks mate. Yes i got away with not needing to buy a new PC at that time but alas now i fear i will need to buy a new one. 

Some good info re cooling down my laptop on this thread.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 10:13 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

Thanks mate. Yes i got away with not needing to buy a new PC at that time but alas now i fear i will need to buy a new one. 

Some good info re cooling down my laptop on this thread.

Well i bought myself a new Acer Aspire AIO C27 for 28990bht direct from Acer Thailand and BM Miko is coming round to my gaff to install for me (thanks a mill Mike).

It looks a real good spec and i'm really happy with Acer AIO's as my last one has lasted 10 years.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

Put the laptop on a dish rack. This allows for more air flow.

VLC media creates less heat than many of it's competitor's.

If you are watching videos, take a five minute break between them.

Close unnecessary web pages.

Only run one program at a time.

Get the aforementioned Speccy.

• Thumbs Up 1