Glasseye

Judge went to high school about a 40 minute drive from my house. Great player, seems to have a decent attitude. Not a Yankee fan but damn, I can't help but admire historic accomplishments in sports. To be tied with the immortal Ruth, what a season this guy has had.

Roger Maris....you're on deck!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Thought this was an age related post at first😳 not been following the baseball this year.

Quite an achievement, shame he's a Yankee and the records are muddied by all the drug cheats

Agreed.  Pujois stuff pretty impressive as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

Very talented guy, I was shocked to see a FB post showing he’s # 1 in like ten categories. .316 leads for Average in late September…..WTF is that? They all swinging for the fences, or are the pitchers THAT good? Whatever, a Triple Crown is a very rare achievement, 2 out of 3 happens WAY more often

But as @Lemondropkidsaid, too bad he’s a Yankee. He will have many haters outside of NYC, and inside he’ll be a Demi-God…..no middle ground. 

Hope he’s not juicing, not that we’d ever know anyway. But hitting 60+ at age 30 and his career total is still barely 200…..a late bloomer for sure. Being 6’7 helps….I was 16 and 5’9 and could clear a 325’ fence off Dad’s soft pitches. Add in MLB velocity, proper training…..he doesn’t even need to connect properly to homer, much like Bonds in his heyday

Now Pujols just tied Alex Rodriguez at 696, just before his retirement. Very impressive feat, he has been hobbled by injuries and only plays against LHP. Heard he takes longer to reach 2nd base than a faster player to hit an inside the park HR……ouch!

Go Albert, go Aaron! 

• Like 1

Lifted this from Peter King's FMIA column, numbers game

"It would be pretty interesting if Aaron Judge does not hit another home run till Saturday, at home against the Orioles. If his next homer comes Saturday:

Judge’s 61st home run, matching Roger Maris’ American League season record of 61 home runs, would come 61 years to the day after Maris hit his 61st  in ‘61."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/26/russell-wilson-broncos-peter-king-fmia-week-3/?cid=nbcsports#on-favre

6 hours ago, Glasseye said:

That was what I have been thinking. 

1968 Micky Mantles last visit to Tiger stadium Denny McLain. Calls his catcher Bill Freehand  out for a meeting at the mound. He tells him he is going to throw fastballs right down the middle so tell Mantle to be looking for it. He did and sure enough a homerun. Tigers were up about 6 runs late so no harm no foul.

Giving Judge a pitch to hit will insure the pitcher a place in the record book so I expect to see it happen

On 9/21/2022 at 2:12 PM, Lemondropkid said:

Thought this was an age related post at first

So did I 555

On 9/21/2022 at 12:55 PM, Derek Dangleberries said:

Excellent... but I still prefer watching a game of rounders played by women in plaid pleated skirts and white panties..

A far better spectator sport IMHO

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

1968 Micky Mantles last visit to Tiger stadium Denny McLain. Calls his catcher Bill Freehand  out for a meeting at the mound. He tells him he is going to throw fastballs right down the middle so tell Mantle to be looking for it. He did and sure enough a homerun. Tigers were up about 6 runs late so no harm no foul.

Giving Judge a pitch to hit will insure the pitcher a place in the record book so I expect to see it happen

Yep, and a name that would be repeated over the years literally thousands of times. 

Name recognition for many in todays world is almost to the point of being obsessive. 

Kind of surprised a pitcher of McLain's stature would do such a thing though. But, now looking back he had more than one "iron in the fire".

On 9/28/2022 at 10:07 PM, Golfingboy said:

Got #61

5EECEE32-1A2A-4FE0-A62E-67CFEB76C0F0.jpeg

I'm one who thinks Bonds belongs in the HOF.  BUT - all of the top 6 on that list accomplished those numbers under conditions of a live ball, and PED assisted.  Judge and Maris are IMO the all time single season HR leaders. 

Although based on how dead the ball was in Ruth's day, and they played fewer games, it's hard to not tip the cap to the true king of all time.

Seriously though, to you American chaps...... Can someone answer a question or 2 from me regarding baseball. 

I do enjoy watching the odd game but for me as an ex cricketer I'm intriguid. 

Firstly, what are the dimensions of a baseball field. Like, from where the batsman stands to the furthest boundary? 

Secondly, what is the distance from the Pitcher to the batter? 

And lastly, these pitchers and fielders obviously have good throwing arms. At what speed do pitchers throw a fast ball? 

1)  Every field is different.  And dimensions aren't always even as in some will have left field closer than right field.  Or a high wall etc.  The bases however are always the same in every field.

2)  Pitcher to plate is 60 feet 6 inches. 

3)  A pitcher is considered a power pitcher if he can crack 95 MPH.  A few rare guys (usually not starters as it's an all out effort) can crack the 100 mph barrier.  Truth is of you can throw it 90, and then throw a changeup that looks like you threw a fastball at 80 you will make a lot of hitters look stupid.  Pitching is an art that many have forgotten.  It's all about deception. 

BTW I do enjoy watching Cricket as well.  I do not claim to understand all the rules especially the scoring but it's fun.  Only issue I have with cricket is a game can take 5 days and result in a tie?  That has me confused.  😀

• Great Info 1

17 minutes ago, happyfalang said:

1)  Every field is different.  And dimensions aren't always even as in some will have left field closer than right field.  Or a high wall etc.  The bases however are always the same in every field.

2)  Pitcher to plate is 60 feet 6 inches. 

3)  A pitcher is considered a power pitcher if he can crack 95 MPH.  A few rare guys (usually not starters as it's an all out effort) can crack the 100 mph barrier.  Truth is of you can throw it 90, and then throw a changeup that looks like you threw a fastball at 80 you will make a lot of hitters look stupid.  Pitching is an art that many have forgotten.  It's all about deception. 

BTW I do enjoy watching Cricket as well.  I do not claim to understand all the rules especially the scoring but it's fun.  Only issue I have with cricket is a game can take 5 days and result in a tie?  That has me confused.  😀

Thanks for answering my questions mate. 

Tbh there is not much difference in dimensions.. Example... For us in cricket, the bowling distance is 66 ft. 

A few modern day bowlers can approach 90 mph on occasions and one or two have neared or broken the 100 mph barrier. But on our game the gentlemanly thing to do is have the ball bounce on the batting strip ( wicket)... That's when the ball can swing, turn, dip in any direction. 

Both baseballs and cricket balls are of similar weight I think.. Baseball slightly lighter. 

Now, one thing I don't understand. Why do the fielders and pitchers wear the umbrella size gloves to be able to catch or field the ball? 

Doesn't that make the task a bit easier than need be?