Overstay fines ..

ChiFlyer

I got my permission to stay date wrong in my head by 1 day. This will result in a 1 day overstay, when I exit Thailand next month. I was halfway down the path of thinking through what I needed to change to leave on time, when it occurred to me that the fine for the one day overstay (500 THB as I understand it) is probably significantly less than what the cost of the changes (air, hotel, VN Visa) would be, not to mention the aggravation of sitting on hold waiting for the parties involved.

I have never had an overstay before, but my take on it after reading available info on the net is this is not a serious matter and that it is handled rather quickly when one is exiting Thailand.

Any comments?

The 500 baht overstay for one day is usually not imposed and there is no drama.

Problems with an overstay usually only arise if you are detected BEFORE you get to the airport immigration. Avoid police checkpoints, DUI, licence etc and you will be fine. 

Unless it's changed, l don,t believe they charge you for 1 day. They charge 1000 if you are 2 days over and 500 per extra day thereafter. The only thing is they use a page of your passport for the late exit stamp which can cause a problem for you if you,re running out of space. This experience is from many years ago though. 

Just do not try my "not even registered in the country", getting your passport stolen (before they had computer systems connected), I arrived in Bangkok at Don Mueang but departed from Phuket, that was a nightmare even with completed police report and written letter from the embassy.

When I stayed for 8 months in 2009-10, I made a slight miscalculation with my triple entry visa and was forced to pay 2K(4x 500). Not a big deal, but I’ve always heard it’s a real black mark the next time you visit, assuming it’s the same passport.

What always bugged me is my route by Vancouver & Tokyo always landed around midnight, but I’m quite sure immigration never stamped me with the new date. I could be wrong, and it’s only a small technicality, but in terms of overstay, would still save you 500B. Can anyone comment, are they mandated to enter today’s date after 12:01 AM??? 

A 1 day overstay is usually waived through these days Chiflyer and as said if not desk behind the booths, if manned happy to take a donation. More than one day I would not do ....

I believe GolfingB that most will stamp 00.01am arrivals as the same day if they can be arsed to roll the wheel forward on the date stamp and are awake at midnight.

Question ????? ...are they still giving out 45 Day stamps at Swampy on arrival ????????? 

• Great Info 1

2 hours ago, nampla69 said:

A 1 day overstay is usually waived through these days Chiflyer and as said if not desk behind the booths, if manned happy to take a donation. More than one day I would not do ....

I believe GolfingB that most will stamp 00.01am arrivals as the same day if they can be arsed to roll the wheel forward on the date stamp and are awake at midnight.

Question ????? ...are they still giving out 45 Day stamps at Swampy on arrival ????????? 

I believe the 45 day stamp was to start 1 October. Still has to be published in the Royal Gazette to be official.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

48 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I believe the 45 day stamp was to start 1 October. Still has to be published in the Royal Gazette to be official.

Iooks like it got passed this week so should get published very soon.

Edited by boydeste
  • Great Info 1