Guns and Roses in Bangkok

Stillearly

7 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Thanks - I would like to go with a few friends. Went to the website and I could not figure out how to buy tickets. Maybe they are sold out already. It is Loy Krathong.

There were tickets when I posted , but must be sold out on that site 

a few left on here , but disappearing fast 

https://www.viagogo.com/ww/Concert-Tickets/Hard-Rock-Metal/Guns-N-Roses-Tickets/E-150315677?qty=1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

There were tickets when I posted , but must be sold out on that site 

a few left on here , but disappearing fast 

https://www.viagogo.com/ww/Concert-Tickets/Hard-Rock-Metal/Guns-N-Roses-Tickets/E-150315677?qty=1

Thanks - I bought two tickets near left of the stage. Paid a pretty price (20,000), but I really wanted to do this.

Pics to follow.

• Thumbs Up 3

50 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

I would go to this concert if it was at Impact Arena....not interested in stadium shows outside in the humidity. 

This is right next to Impact...very close and right down the street. 

Will look forward to your pics..

Yes, I am a little concerned about what you are describing. I may have let my exuberance get a little ahead of myself on this one. I am a Jomtien Beach guy. The GF and I are taking a taxi up to Bangkok the day before. We are staying at the Thonglor Marriott Executive Apartments on Sukhumvit soi 57.

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/Bangkok/entity/CgsIkuKOtOnjsp-qARAB?q=bangkok marriott executive apartments sukhumvit&g2lb=2502548%2C2503771%2C2503781%2C4258168%2C4270442%2C4284970%2C4291517%2C4306835%2C4597339%2C4718358%2C4723331%2C4757164%2C4810789%2C4810790%2C4814050%2C4816977%2C4826689%2C4849797%2C4850738%2C4852066%2C4856937%2C4859602%2C4861687%2C26483160&hl=en-TH&gl=th&ssta=1&ts=CAESABogCgIaABIaEhQKBwjmDxAKGBESBwjmDxAKGBIYATICEAAqCQoFOgNUSEIaAA&rp=EJi01tqGi6mkQhCS4o606eOyn6oBOAJAAUgDogEHQmFuZ2tva8ABA5oCAggA&ap=aAE&ictx=1&ved=0CAAQ5JsGahcKEwiAjcyPuMT6AhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQBA&utm_campaign=sharing&utm_medium=link&utm_source=htls

I have stayed at this place several times before, occasionally with the current VVVLT (most friends say your Thai wife). The lodging is somewhat reasonably priced (with my various Marriott discounts) and I usually get upgraded with my Marriott status (Titanium for life). Unfortunately, the various Bangkok Marriott Executive Apartments never seem to have point offerings.

What I am wondering about a little is the best way of getting to/from Thunderdome Stadium. I was looking at a map. I am not familiar with the area of Bangkok where the stadium is located. I do not see a BTS station near that location. I guess I can make friends with a taxi driver and make arrangements for drop off and an afterwards pickup location. The GF can handle that communication and negotiation.

I am somewhat concerned that the GF is going to hate me forever for this excursion. Why you take me there? Basically because I am a self-indulgent SOB. 

Oh, in order to enable some enjoyment for my Thia wife, does anyone have a recommendation for a good Isan Thai restaurant in the Thonglor area? No insects please. 🙂

Edited by ChiFlyer

If Axel Rose is still the lead singer I would be worried about him turning up late, drunk and off his head on drugs. I don't think the Thais would accept the sort of behaviour he has shown in the past. 

Like their music but no time for a dickhead lead singer. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Yes, I am a little concerned about what you are describing. I may have let my exuberance get a little ahead of myself on this one. I am a Jomtien Beach guy. The GF and I are taking a taxi up to Bangkok the day before. We are staying at the Thonglor Marriott Executive Apartments on Sukhumvit soi 57.

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/Bangkok/entity/CgsIkuKOtOnjsp-qARAB?q=bangkok marriott executive apartments sukhumvit&g2lb=2502548%2C2503771%2C2503781%2C4258168%2C4270442%2C4284970%2C4291517%2C4306835%2C4597339%2C4718358%2C4723331%2C4757164%2C4810789%2C4810790%2C4814050%2C4816977%2C4826689%2C4849797%2C4850738%2C4852066%2C4856937%2C4859602%2C4861687%2C26483160&hl=en-TH&gl=th&ssta=1&ts=CAESABogCgIaABIaEhQKBwjmDxAKGBESBwjmDxAKGBIYATICEAAqCQoFOgNUSEIaAA&rp=EJi01tqGi6mkQhCS4o606eOyn6oBOAJAAUgDogEHQmFuZ2tva8ABA5oCAggA&ap=aAE&ictx=1&ved=0CAAQ5JsGahcKEwiAjcyPuMT6AhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQBA&utm_campaign=sharing&utm_medium=link&utm_source=htls

I have stayed at this place several times before, occasionally with the current VVVLT (most friends say your Thai wife). The lodging is somewhat reasonably priced (with my various Marriott discounts) and I usually get upgraded with my Marriott status (Titanium for life). Unfortunately, the various Bangkok Marriott Executive Apartments never seem to have point offerings.

What I am wondering about a little is the best way of getting to/from Thunderdome Stadium. I was looking at a map. I am not familiar with the area of Bangkok where the stadium is located. I do not see a BTS station near that location. I guess I can make friends with a taxi driver and make arrangements for drop off and an afterwards pickup location. The GF can handle that communication and negotiation.

I am somewhat concerned that the GF is going to hate me forever for this excursion. Why you take me there? Basically because I am a self-indulgent SOB. 

Oh, in order to enable some enjoyment for my Thia wife, does anyone have a recommendation for a good Isan Thai restaurant in the Thonglor area? No insects please. 🙂

Getting there by Taxi no problem. Getting Taxi or whatever from Impact is a big problem!

10 hours ago, Aqualung said:

If Axel Rose is still the lead singer I would be worried about him turning up late, drunk and off his head on drugs. I don't think the Thais would accept the sort of behaviour he has shown in the past. 

Like their music but no time for a dickhead lead singer. 

He is,and from what ive seen and heard on tik tok videos posted from recent previous gigs he really struggles to hit those notes now.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

He is,and from what ive seen and heard on tik tok videos posted from recent previous gigs he really struggles to hit those notes now.

Axel has always been a major league headcase. I read a story, and it was a long while back, that Axel once hit a neighbor over the head with a wine bottle because they asked him to turn his stereo down. Yes I have seen a few examples that his voice is giving out. I am going for a one night trip down memory lane. Hopefully, Axel has matured a little and will show up close to on time.

It is really Slash that I am looking forward to seeing. I believe him to be a generally underrated guitar player. I have read that Slash has been clean drug wise for a very long time now. Supposedly he was acting as Charly Sheen's AA sponsor at one point. Tough gig. 

• Haha 2

Well there is no BTS remotely close to Impact or Thunderdome Stadium. The traffic in Muang Thong Thani is brutal, I have been there many times and after my first concert ever there in Sept 2016 with "Queen" I vowed to never deal with that crap again....and I haven't. 

I see where you are coming up from Pattaya by taxi and staying at Marriott....if you have some flexibility in your hotel arrangements and would like a stress free place close to Thunderdome etc. I might suggest staying at "Novotel Impact" it is a 10 minute taxi to Thunderdome.

The Thai buffet before events in that area at the hotel is second to none.  For events at Impact, you walk in a "catwalk" over to Impact and are in the arena, bar area in 10 minutes and no humidity to deal with until you exit the " catwalk" and are in the pavilion area. Just saying....might be worth a look to stay at Novotel and you will be in Thunderdome in 10 minutes, dropped off right in front of the stadium, tons of taxi to get you back to Novotel right after the show and then you get back to the "loom" your wife will whisper in your ear " Khun ChiFlyer, I lub U, Welcome to the Jungle" and she will f**k you silly after seeing this concert...she will be completely "geeked up" 

How do I know this?  After seeing Aerosmith in Las Vegas a few weeks back, we get back to the hotel and wifey says to me " Khun Miiiike, I lub U, you can get Back in The Saddle again" with me all night! LOL! 

Have a great time and look forward to a review and pictures....

DSC02056.JPG

• Like 2
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Axel has always been a major league headcase. I read a story, and it was a long while back, that Axel once hit a neighbor over the head with a wine bottle because they asked him to turn his stereo down. Yes I have seen a few examples that his voice is giving out. I am going for a one night trip down memory lane. Hopefully, Axel has matured a little and will show up close to on time.

It is really Slash that I am looking forward to seeing. I believe him to be a generally underrated guitar player. I have read that Slash has been clean drug wise for a very long time now. Supposedly he was acting as Charly Sheen's AA sponsor at one point. Tough gig. 

Wouldnt say he was underated,back when they were on form he was always on front page of guitar mags,with tab for some of the songs,maybe forgotten a bit about now tho amongst the giants like page ,hendrix,clapton and some blues players,but hey if they can pull of sweet child o mine and welcome to jungle it be worth it.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

Wouldnt say he was underated,back when they were on form he was always on front page of guitar mags,with tab for some of the songs,maybe forgotten a bit about now tho amongst the giants like page ,hendrix,clapton and some blues players,but hey if they can pull of sweet child o mine and welcome to jungle it be worth it.

Anyone who listens to the albums will see how good he is. 

Favourite solo of mine of his is 'Breakdown' From Use Your Illusion 2

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Anyone who listens to the albums will see how good he is. 

Favourite solo of mine of his is 'Breakdown' From Use Your Illusion 2

His work with Myles Kennedy on a non GnR album really convinced me. The cut "Back from Cali" is outstanding IMO. Yeah it's another GnR type I lost my lady song, but it is a good one IMO.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/5/2022 at 2:51 AM, ChiFlyer said:

His work with Myles Kennedy on a non GnR album really convinced me. The cut "Back from Cali" is outstanding IMO. Yeah it's another GnR type I lost my lady song, but it is a good one IMO.

Something I started to wonder about a bit, is that as many of you well know Bangkok is called "Krung Thep" by many Thai people. The French colonists renamed it Bangkok. "Krung Thep" translates best to "City of Angels" -> Los Angeles. 

I will try and send a message to Slash's web site so that the GnR handlers are aware of this.

https://www.facebook.com/Slash/

saw them last time they played bkk.hardly enough merch to round only thing left was hoodies and they soon got snapped up.u could get found and drink outside but was not aloud to take into the stadium long queues for it to.seen slash with myles few times in uk on his solo tour.they sound great together.he released a solo album earlier this year tour the states with it before doing thsi G/N/R tour.but did say he will tour and europe 2023 just waiting and when it will be as i want to see them again.iron maiden just announce a uk and euro tour for next year to so wil get tickets for that this week when they go on sale

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

hmmm - this is a little disconcerting.

I printed off my tickets tonight to get things ready for the trip up to Bangkok. I was able to get the first 2 downloaded, but the third one (for the GF's sister) was not ready for download just yet.

More disconcerting is that the tickets that I was able to download indicated that the venue had been moved from Thunder Dome Stadium to another location, but did not say what that other location is. I did a bunch of net searches to try and find out and got nothing.

Anybody heard more?

• Surprised 5

23 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

hmmm - this is a little disconcerting.

I printed off my tickets tonight to get things ready for the trip up to Bangkok. I was able to get the first 2 downloaded, but the third one (for the GF's sister) was not ready for download just yet.

More disconcerting is that the tickets that I was able to download indicated that the venue had been moved from Thunder Dome Stadium to another location, but did not say what that other location is. I did a bunch of net searches to try and find out and got nothing.

Anybody heard more?

I contacted the ticket vendor (viagogo). They got back pretty quickly and said that the concert will indeed be at Thunder Dome and that my remaining ticket should be released to me in a few days.

Hope so on the ticket.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well we are in Bangkok for day 1 of our Guns n Roses Trip. Bought an extra ticket for the GF's sister. God she is cute. Hope I do not get too drunk and make a total fool out of myself.

We are staying at the Marriott Executive Apartments in Thonglor at Sukhumvit soi 57. Pics are from the rooftop bar.

Sunset

Roodtop Bar Sunset.jpg

A terrible shot of the lunar eclipse.

Roodtop Bar Lunar Eclipse.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

Well we are in Bangkok for day 1 of our Guns n Roses Trip. Bought an extra ticket for the GF's sister. God she is cute. Hope I do not get too drunk and make a total fool out of myself.

We are staying at the Marriott Executive Apartments in Thonglor at Sukhumvit soi 57. Pics are from the rooftop bar.

Sunset

Roodtop Bar Sunset.jpg

A terrible shot of the lunar eclipse.

Roodtop Bar Lunar Eclipse.jpg

Nice,enjoy the gig,look forward to a review 👍