Well over 300 THB and exceptionally good

ChiFlyer

With all due reference to @Evil Penevil I recently wanted to make a restaurant post about the possible reopening of Bruno's in Jomtien. I could not find a thread in any forum to add this to. @Derek Dangleberries suggested that I open a new thread for higher end restaurants. That is the intention of this thread.

As a starter here is the cross reference to the Bruno's post. There are several additional information posts behind this link.

I will update this thread with info about the thread topic. The GF and I go to a "nicer" restaurant about once a month. More to follow.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

All due respect to the OP, we all have different budgets when in Thailand. But me personally, pricier farang cuisine is just one thing I will very rarely splurge on over there, no matter what I can afford. It’s not just that dinner can easily be 2000% higher than street food(1000B vs 50, yeah?), but the local stuff is healthier for me and I’m paying more than I would back home for anything imported. 

Just doesn’t make sense to me to go out of my way for a sit-down, classy restaurant in Pattaya

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

All due respect to the OP, we all have different budgets when in Thailand. But me personally, pricier farang cuisine is just one thing I will very rarely splurge on over there, no matter what I can afford. It’s not just that dinner can easily be 2000% higher than street food(1000B vs 50, yeah?), but the local stuff is healthier for me and I’m paying more than I would back home for anything imported. 

Just doesn’t make sense to me to go out of my way for a sit-down, classy restaurant in Pattaya

I am probably worse off than you financially and thoroughly enjoy street food too but there ARE people out there with money and are willing to spend it on what they see as fine dining as opposed to expensive, overpriced hotel food.

When I start getting my extra pension in December I might take my daughter out to one of the places recommended on this thread as she only visits me once every couple of months.

EDIT = Her Boyfriend can pay for himself!

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I am probably worse off than you financially and thoroughly enjoy street food too but there ARE people out there with money and are willing to spend it on what they see as fine dining as opposed to expensive, overpriced hotel food.

When I start getting my extra pension in December I might take my daughter out to one of the places recommended on this thread as she only visits me once every couple of months.

Boyfriend should be paying for everything 

Obviously time to set the ground rules there

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Oh yes, a child’s mate should always pay for themselves, unless you make it very clear you have it. I was taught at an early age the unwritten rule that if an elder offers, by all means accept, but NEVER order the most expensive thing on the menu. Unfortunately I don’t think youngsters  today have that respect. I’ve seen in it in my own family, sister still spends more on restaurants every month than a Porsche payment. And her 2 sons have been taught how wonderful restaurants are, one of them is very bad. 22 years old and doesn’t have his driver’s license, but is addicted to APPS like Doordash, I think he said $800/ month the last few years….Shame as I’ve learned cooking is not only cheaper, but the things you can create. 

But hey kids don’t want to listen to you these days, unless you have a Ferrari & a million Instagram followers….then you have their attention

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

Look forward to this thread. When I'm on holiday I enjoy eating at nice restaurants , with well presented food and drinks 

Phuket , Samui have these places in abundance, but for me Pattaya is lacking 

my favourite is one that Binlid recommended and that John Luke goes to - Mai Thai Cuisine ( it's closed tonight otherwise I would be there now .. ) 

• Great Info 1

47 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Look forward to this thread. When I'm on holiday I enjoy eating at nice restaurants , with well presented food and drinks 

Phuket , Samui have these places in abundance, but for me Pattaya is lacking 

my favourite is one that Binlid recommended and that John Luke goes to - Mai Thai Cuisine ( it's closed tonight otherwise I would be there now .. ) 

I am sure that you would enjoy an evening out at a fine dining Saurez...it is the same as a soiree but with food you can get your teeth into !!

• Haha 1

Have been away for some time but I approve of this thread.  I too like to dine on the higher end on occasion.  I confess I am unwilling to travel far from central Pattaya to get it though so my selections may be limited for others.  And really for higher end european dining I find it cheaper in Pattaya than in the USA.  So despite beiung much higher than street food which I also enjoy, it's worth it.  I only limit it to control my weight and health.

OK, on to my favorites last time I was there in March.

Bistro - Soi 13/1 also known as Soi Yamato.  Smallish place owned by a Swiss that is many times packed out so don't be shocked if you arrive and no tables.  They do take reservations.  Pretty much everything is good and the chocolate mousse is killer.  Zero calories.  (OK I'm bullshitting on that last part) 

Here is a facebook link - https://www.facebook.com/weberpesche/?fref=ts

Beefeater - in the mall corner of Second Road and Soi Diana.  Always a quality meal and good service.  Like Bistro despite being larger many times booked solid.  Good idea to book a table.

https://www.beefeaterpattaya.com/

Patricks Belgian - across the mall from Beefeaters.  And really not a step down in quality.

Good idea for a thread

• Great Info 1

14 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

No offense taken at all.

I also enjoy the street food and less expensive places. I very much follow Evil's under 300 baht threads. However, about once a month I like to get out and take the GF someplace nicer.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, happyfalang said:

Have been away for some time but I approve of this thread.  I too like to dine on the higher end on occasion.  I confess I am unwilling to travel far from central Pattaya to get it though so my selections may be limited for others.  And really for higher end european dining I find it cheaper in Pattaya than in the USA.  So despite beiung much higher than street food which I also enjoy, it's worth it.  I only limit it to control my weight and health.

OK, on to my favorites last time I was there in March.

Bistro - Soi 13/1 also known as Soi Yamato.  Smallish place owned by a Swiss that is many times packed out so don't be shocked if you arrive and no tables.  They do take reservations.  Pretty much everything is good and the chocolate mousse is killer.  Zero calories.  (OK I'm bullshitting on that last part) 

Here is a facebook link - https://www.facebook.com/weberpesche/?fref=ts

Beefeater - in the mall corner of Second Road and Soi Diana.  Always a quality meal and good service.  Like Bistro despite being larger many times booked solid.  Good idea to book a table.

https://www.beefeaterpattaya.com/

Patricks Belgian - across the mall from Beefeaters.  And really not a step down in quality.

Good idea for a thread

I think that Beefeaters and Patrick's are both very good. I would put Steak and Co. in the same league.

However, I believe that Cafe des Amis, Au bon Coin, and the Royal Cliff Grill Room have better steak offerings at considerably higher prices.  

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

I think someone mentioned looking for a good higher end place for a family visit. I suggest that they take a look at Cafe des Amis, if they are unaware of it.

https://www.cafe-des-amis.com/

The food, service, and ambiance are all excellent. The owner (Blu) is personable. The GF and I usually drop 4,000 to 5,000 when we go here. 2,000 of that is for a moderately priced bottle of wine. Also included in the 5,000 are one cocktail each, the tip, and 6 fresh oysters when available. I usually cab here due to the amount I tend to drink at this place. Blu has an excellent stock of Gin varieties I hear. Not my thing, but hey if one is into the first flavored vodka you may want to talk with the bartender.

I have posted several reviews of Cafe des Amis on another board with pics. I will try and remember to copy one of them over here.

Edit -> A reservation is very much suggested for Cafe des Amis. Also, there is a minor dress code. Smart casual and no beach wear.

Edit 2 -> added pics from my birthday night dinner with the GF. No oysters that night. I will add an oysters pic as well when I find one.

Rack of Lamb - I like it rare

CDA - A.jpg

Roast Duck in a Tart Cherry Sauce for the GF

CDA - B.JPG

Complimentary birthday cheese cake - it was really good

CDA - C.jpg

Oysters from a prior visit

Cafe des Amis - B.jpg

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Gian's

My favorite Italian Restaurant in the Greater Pattaya area is Gian's. This is higher end Italian.

https://www.facebook.com/giansitaliandiningpattaya

The GF and I tend to drop 4,000 on a night out here. Again, 2,000 of that is for a moderately priced bottle of red wine. More goes for the tip and 6 fresh oysters when available. One can spend a lot more than 4,000 at Gian's, but the GF and myself are not big eaters when pasta and bread are involved.

We did night-1 of my birthday get-away at Gian's. My birthday get-away was two nights at the Rabbit Resort with dinners at my favorite higher end restaurants.

A few pics from Gian's

Oysters again

Gians - A.jpg

Pasta in a spicy sausage and eggplant mix for me and scallops for the GF.

Gians - C.JPG

I have heard a lot of good things about the Italian Restaurant called Grottino's in Naklua. Too far from home for me. I have heard that "Little Italy" in Pattaya on Second Road across the street from the Royal Garden is run by the same people. Hmmm - currently listed as "Permanently Closed". Shame. I ate there a few times and it was very good. They had "Pasta Norcina" on the menu, which is a favorite of mine that is difficult to find in Pattaya area Italian restaurants. I make it at home as well.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2022 at 9:09 AM, Nickrock said:

Boyfriend should be paying for everything 

Obviously time to set the ground rules there

I have been mulling over this response for a couple of days, unable to decide whether to reply with my true feelings or not. Not only because of your reply but because of the emoji responses from @Golfingboy and @boydeste

Do you know how offensive that reply was to me, telling me how to run my family? I am especially surprised by @boydeste agreeing with you, given that none of you live here, nor have a 20 year old daughter born and bred here dating a Thai boy that were happy just to survive with a job here for the last few years.

If a Thai boy dating my daughter were to invite us all out for a high end dining experience then I would immediately become suspicious of his income.

Jeez. I have been seething for a few days now!

• Surprised 1

57 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I have been mulling over this response for a couple of days, unable to decide whether to reply with my true feelings or not. Not only because of your reply but because of the emoji responses from @Golfingboy and @boydeste

Do you know how offensive that reply was to me, telling me how to run my family? I am especially surprised by @boydeste agreeing with you, given that none of you live here, nor have a 20 year old daughter born and bred here dating a Thai boy that were happy just to survive with a job here for the last few years.

If a Thai boy dating my daughter were to invite us all out for a high end dining experience then I would immediately become suspicious of his income.

Don't I was being facetious 

4 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Oh my, well seeth no more.

I liked the post, NOT because I agreed with the comment, But because I thought he made a very good tongue in cheek remark that put a smile on my face.

You read it wrong unfortunately. The perils of the written word and imojis. 

I would also like to point out that you were the one to start the joke by putting,  '' Her boyfriend can pay for himself ''.

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, boydeste said:

Oh my, well seeth no more.

I liked the post, NOT because I agreed with the comment, But because I thought he made a very good tongue in cheek remark that put a smile on my face.

You read it wrong unfortunately. The perils of the written word and imojis. 

I would also like to point out that you were the one to start the joke by putting,  '' Her boyfriend can pay for himself ''.

Yep .... I've been out for a walk to clear my head.... I haven't been acted pleasantly to anybody lately so needed a reset.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Royal Cliff Grill Room

I have not been to this restaurant since Covid began. The Royal Cliff Hotel is a very upscale hotel kind of on the border between Phratamnak and Cozy Beach.

https://www.royalcliff.com/shop/royal-grill-room/

This place has been reported by some as having the best steaks in the greater Pattaya area. Not so sure that I agree, but their steaks are indeed very good. I think that the beef products at Cafe des Amis are just as good. My complaint about the Royal Cliff Grill Room is that it is a little too ostentatious for my tastes. 

There is a more serious dress code -> no shorts and jacket suggested.

Still IMO it is an upper scale food experience worth trying. I believe the GF and I dropped about 4000 here with my usual formula.

A few pics from a few years back.

Complimentary appetizer

Royal Cliff Grill A.JPG

Atmosphere

Royal Cliff Grill B.JPG

Royal Cliff Grill C.JPG

Shrimp Bisque

Royal Cliff Grill D.JPG

I think the GF ordered this.

Royal Cliff Grill E.JPG

Rack of Lamb and complimentary bread

Royal Cliff Grill F.JPG

Desert being prepared table side

Royal Cliff Grill G.JPG

Desert - Creme Brulle Crepes

Royal Cliff Grill H.JPG

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

48 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I visited Mai Thai Cuisine last night , for the first time since covid , it's still a great restaurant 

excellent reviews on tripadvisor and the menu is on there as well , Thai , Western and Fusion ... a huge selection of beers as well

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d7147190-Reviews-Mai_Thai_Cuisine-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

this was my meal , also posted on the food thread 

complimentary appetiser , chicken wings in honey , seabass fillet in with red curry ( might have been Choo-Chee ) , Mango Sticky Rice 

31AED740-AE9A-4AE2-A632-3CA183C0731B.jpeg

2ECB4769-A29C-43DF-A53C-835BD58C9E78.jpeg

F185F886-4019-40B1-AC49-C939D222BFD4.jpeg

B6C4268F-8F73-4E3B-8635-CFF1180EB31E.jpeg

and the bill .. about £40 and worth it

177B4479-42E1-4B6A-8C80-E88DDE388FDE.jpeg

Even though Pattaya is fairly quiet , it was full last night and they actually added an extra table for me .. ( it was raining so the outside tables weren't available)  .. so probably worth booking to make sure 

That does look fantastic!

I don't eat red meat anymore so steak is out,your Seabass looked fantastic. As I'm guessing did your Treetown over 3K baht offering🤩

• Haha 1

Rain Forrest on Sukhumvit road. Excellent food, Thai + Farang, Fridays and Saturdays live music. Food prices not that high but beverages are expensive. Prices on the menu have 10% service charge added (prices on their facebook menu seem to be out of date: a 1 l pitcher Chang draft is advertised for 199, but I think it was around 270 Bt+).

At 6 pm still empty but an hour later the BKK HiSo's arrived.

IMG20221008184435.jpg

IMG20221008184445.jpg

IMG20221008184454.jpg

Had Paneng salmon:

IMG20221008190304.jpg

A Som Tum dish for Mrs. CO:

IMG20221008190800.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2022 at 10:41 AM, CampariO said:

Rain Forrest on Sukhumvit road. Excellent food, Thai + Farang, Fridays and Saturdays live music. Food prices not that high but beverages are expensive. Prices on the menu have 10% service charge added (prices on their facebook menu seem to be out of date: a 1 l pitcher Chang draft is advertised for 199, but I think it was around 270 Bt+).

At 6 pm still empty but an hour later the BKK HiSo's arrived.

IMG20221008184435.jpg

IMG20221008184445.jpg

IMG20221008184454.jpg

Had Paneng salmon:

IMG20221008190304.jpg

A Som Tum dish for Mrs. CO:

IMG20221008190800.jpg

Thanks for posting this. As fate would have it we are eating out a little more often this week, as we are going out of town next week. We decided to give the Rain Forest Cafe a first try. Been a while since we tried a new restaurant.

https://www.facebook.com/RainForestCafePattaya

The overall ambience of the place is quite impressive as shown in the @CampariO pics. We were there on a rainy night, so my pics do not look nearly as impressive.

I like the place. The atmosphere is fun. The overall menu is extremely broad with both Thai and Western food. My take on it is the Thai food is probably the better way to go. The food is affordable. We spent about 1000 on two higher end dinners, two beers, and a sugar free coke. They do not sell wine by the glass, but have bottles available. I did not want to go this route, so I did not ask more. I did notice that the wine bottle shelf had one brand of wine. I would guess that it is rather pedestrian and also over priced.

I thought the food was decent. I was not wow'd. Still they have a huge menu, so we are likely to go again and try a few other things.

A few pics

The outside area

Rain Forest Cafe - A.jpg

The al fresca inside area (I can not make up my mind, if I like or hate the lighting)

Rain Forest Cafe - B.jpg

The fully inside area (we chose this one as it was a muggy night)

Rain Forest Cafe - C.jpg

The GF ordered a spicy pork dish

Rain Forest Cafe - D.jpg

I went with Sweet and Sour Grouper (it was decent, but no pineapple <- 😞)

Rain Forest Cafe - E.jpg

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1