The Dental work never seems to end....Is it just me....How about you guys...

fforest

For me as I get older I seem to keep needing dental work more and more often..

Not just a filling here and there either...I am talking a number of Crowns. Root canals, a few pulled teeth,plenty of fillings too...Bla Bla Bla it just goes on and on...

I think I got everything fixed then 6-7-8-9-10 months later, Its time for a whole new round of teeth fixing....

I am  very lucky Thailand dental prices are not crazy expensive like in The USA...

But still...It all adds up...I have lost track of how many times I have gone to see the dentist....

Sometimes I think how great it would be to a full mouth of implanted teeth, like many movie stars have done to give them perfect teeth....

Edited by fforest
  • Thumbs Up 1

A caries vaccine is a vaccine to prevent and protect against tooth decay. Streptococcus mutans (S. mutans) has been identified as the major etiological agent of human dental caries. The development of a vaccine for tooth decay has been under investigation since the 1970s. In 1972, a caries vaccine was said to be in animal testing in England, and that it would have begun human testing soon. However, intrinsic difficulties in developing it, coupled with lack of strong economic interests, are the reasons why still no such vaccine is commercially available today. Several types of vaccines are being developed at research centres, with some kind of caries vaccines being considered to diminish or prevent dental caries' impact on young people.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 2

I got lucky in the genetic pool, with almost perfect teeth - I haven't even had a filling for over thirty years, and the only attention I've needed other than regular cleaning was when I cracked a tooth on something hard a few years ago and needed a crown to repair it. That happened in Thailand and I should have had it fixed there but I figured that my medical plan would cover it when I got home, however the buggers weaselled out of it through a technicality and I had to pay the whole repair myself. 

My two older brothers, on the other hand, have terrible teeth. 

Looked like Ed the horse when a thai dentist gave me denture plate at front 4 teeth,pulled a bottom teeth out myself last year due to uk covid bullshit , funnily enough got minor toothache since being here this trip,,so cutting sugar from drinks,and trying with food too,tho those 5bht chocolatebeng beng biscuits are great.

5 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I had veneers done about 15 years ago , no issues since ....but I've also visited the hygienist every six months and the dentist once a year , use an electric toothbrush, interdental brushes and floss to keep the gums healthy 

Great point! Flossing is especially important and should be done each time you brush. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Get hygiene and check ups three times a year ..... made a massive difference the professional scraping and the sound of that little cleaner thing are not nice but ....... just remembered my next appointment is Saturday where's me Braun Oral-B ..

• Like 1

When I first came here to live almost 20 years ago I found that the Thai girls were all avid Listerine users. I'd never even thought about using it before but I started, somewhat reluctantly, and now I wouldn't stop using it for anything. More and more medical research has been published over the years showing possible links (though nothing absolutely conclusive yet) between dental hygiene and conditions as diverse as coronary disease, Alzheimers and type 2 diabetes. For the sake of 30 seconds a day of nasty medicinal crap swilling around your teeth and gums, why not?

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

11 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

When I first came here to live almost 20 years ago I found that the Thai girls were all avid Listerine users. 

Maybe the Thai girls use it because of the man-juice they often swill around their teeth and gums ??

19 minutes ago, SteveBC said:

Maybe the Thai girls use it because of the man-juice they often swill around their teeth and gums ??

When I take a shower before a massage, if I see a bottle of Listerine on the shelf it's usually a good indicator I'll be offered more than just a massage. That and packages of baby wipes on one the shelves in the shop. 

• Great Info 1
  • Haha 1

About 50 years ago I was in a car crash that caused my head to go into the windshield. A lot of dental damage was done. This resulted in multiple bridges and crowns. About 10 years ago those items started to wear out and had to be replaced. I have done some of the replacements with implants here in Thailand.

With age some of my caps and filings have needed to be replaced as well. A large percentage of my teeth are artificial at this point and the need for additional work seems to have slowed, for now.

On 10/11/2022 at 3:11 PM, boydeste said:

I have had alot of dental work done in the past, but in more recent years, especially since I started to use an electric toothbrush, things have settled down somewhat. 

Yesterday's appointment resulted in just a routine clean thankfully.

I'm sure you will never forget the tooth "incident" you had right at the time all hell was breaking.

On 10/11/2022 at 2:39 PM, fforest said:

For me as I get older I seem to keep needing dental work more and more often..

Not just a filling here and there either...I am talking a number of Crowns. Root canals, a few pulled teeth,plenty of fillings too...Bla Bla Bla it just goes on and on...

I think I got everything fixed then 6-7-8-9-10 months later, Its time for a whole new round of teeth fixing....

I am  very lucky Thailand dental prices are not crazy expensive like in The USA...

But still...It all adds up...I have lost track of how many times I have gone to see the dentist....

Sometimes I think how great it would be to a full mouth of implanted teeth, like many movie stars have done to give them perfect teeth....

Yep.... I am finding that out as well the past few years.

Tooth/gum care becomes much more challenging as we get older. And very, very important to our overall health.

I have found the care in Thailand thus far has been top notch, although fortunately I have not yet had to have any major work done here, only cleanings. I do have a cavity that my dentist in the U.S. discovered a few weeks before I returned here. He advised me at the time I should have a few months before the cavity will create any real issues for me. I have an appointment now scheduled for that with a new dentist who came highly recommended. We'll see how that goes.

A new issue that has popped up within the past few months has been gums bleeding. I am hoping to put together a plan when I see my new dentist on how to approach that problem. It's something that I have never dealt with before and is a bit puzzling to me.

I have always heard that having your own teeth is far superior to having implants or dentures. I would hate to go through all of that.

In 15 years living in Thailand the only time I visited a dentist was two emergency extractions which makes three in total none of which show when I smile.

Signed back on with Carol, my Scots golf playing tasty looking dentist, only to find sadly that she has stopped playing golf and that her tits and boat race no longer take my mind off her drill.

A couple of fillings and a gum clean up was all that was needed after a long absence.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2022 at 11:01 PM, ChiFlyer said:

About 50 years ago I was in a car crash that caused my head to go into the windshield. A lot of dental damage was done. This resulted in multiple bridges and crowns. About 10 years ago those items started to wear out and had to be replaced. I have done some of the replacements with implants here in Thailand.

With age some of my caps and filings have needed to be replaced as well. A large percentage of my teeth are artificial at this point and the need for additional work seems to have slowed, for now.

You guys hexed me. 🙂

Had to head over to the dentist this afternoon to begin the work to have a bridge replaced. Cost will be about 30,000. Good news is that in the US the cost would have been about 5,000 USD ~ 150,000.

Dental work here in Thailand is excellent and much cheaper than in the US.