Tragedy in Seoul

forqalso

Saw this a few hours ago, apparently their policy before telling victims’ families is to classify them as “seriously cardiac” or some shite. So the official toll was WAY below the actual, wonder if it will rise more…..

RIP, no way to go especially for the youth

A tragedy that could have been avoided. First call warning the police of the crush of people came in about 3 1/2 hours before the deadly crowd surge. Multiple calls after that first call warning of the impending tragedy.

Families of Halloween crush victims identify lost items as South Korean police admit mistakes

Speaking to the media on Tuesday, Yoon Hee-keun, head of National Police Agency, bowed deeply as he began a press conference, admitting for the first time failings on the behalf of the police in the capital that night.

Yoon said officers failed to adequately respond to the emergency calls that flooded into the police call center before the disaster.

“The calls were about emergencies telling the danger and urgency of the situation that large crowds had gathered before the accident occurred,” Yoon said. “However, we think the police response to the 112 (emergency telephone number) calls was inadequate.”

South Korean police received at least 11 calls from people in Itaewon about concerns of a possible crush as early as four hours before the incident occurred on Saturday night, records given to CNN by the National Police Agency show.

The first call was made at 6:34 p.m. Saturday from a location near the Hamilton Hotel, which borders the alley where the deadly surge occurred, the records show.

“People are going up and down the alley now, but it looks really dangerous. People can’t come down but people keep coming up (the alleyway), so I fear people might be crushed,” one caller said, according to the record.

“I managed to get out, but it’s too crowded. I think you need to control this. Nobody is controlling (the crowd). I think police officers should be standing here and moving some people so that others can go through the alleyway. People cannot even go through but there are more people pouring down,” the caller added.

Then at 8:09 p.m., another person in Itaewon reported that there were so many people in the area that they were falling over and getting hurt. The caller asked for traffic control, the record shows.

The deadly crowd surge took place just after 10 p.m.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

“However, we think the police response to the 112 (emergency telephone number) calls was inadequate.”

Some woman called 112 on me last time in Seoul and the cops were there in minutes. All I was doing was standing on a corner taking photos. The woman walked in front of me and decided I was bad. The cops said I was doing nothing wrong.

24 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

the alley where the deadly surge occurred

This is the narrow sloped alley. Photo was taken by a friend of mine in Seoul a few years ago. Itaewon is an interesting district with lots of restaurants, clubs, etc.

IMG-20221101-WA0000.jpg

My friend sent me a couple of videos (not for the meek). Look at the people just standing around watching, looking at their phones, doing nothing. Mostly Korean men. Effective CPR often requires teamwork.

All through it...the party rolled on...

• Sad 3