They did not check it with 'Grammarly'.

john luke

https://news.sky.com/story/swindon-borough-council-sorry-over-poorly-executed-error-riddled-covid-tribute-plaque-12744663

Swindon Borough Council sorry over 'poorly executed', error-riddled COVID tribute plaque

Swindon.jpg

The wording on the Swindon Borough Council plaque included a spelling mistake, errant capital letters and a full stop in the wrong place amongst other errors.

A council has been criticised for an error-strewn plaque that was supposed to pay tribute to key workers during the COVID pandemic.

The sign was installed on Monday at Coate Water, Swindon, next to a tulip tree to mark the "selflessness and dedication" of those who worked during the pandemic.

It read: "This tree has been planted in appreciation of Our Key Workers and Volunteers by the borough. to honor Their Selflessness and Dedication given to the residents and the vulnerable During the Covid Pandemic March 2019."

But the wording on the Swindon Borough Council plaque included a spelling mistake, errant capital letters, and a full stop in the wrong place.

It also had the wrong date for the pandemic - a year before it was recognised in the UK.

After the gaffes were spotted, Labour parish councillor for Eldene in East Swindon Mike Davies tweeted: "Nice idea by Swindon Council, but very poorly executed.

"Random capitalisation, American spelling and mistakes…"

A spokesman for Swindon Borough Council told the Swindon Advertiser: "We have removed the plaque and a new one will be installed as soon as possible."

The plaque made to honour the efforts of Swindon's key workers during the Covid pandemic.

The plaque made to honour the efforts of Swindon's key workers during the Covid pandemic.Photograph: @LabourSwindon/Twitter

Swindon borough council has been criticised for botching a tribute to key workers during the Covid pandemic with a plaque littered with mistakes.

Images of the plaque have been widely shared on social media, showing random capitalisation, punctuation errors and spelling mistakes.

It also crucially dates the pandemic as “March 2019” – a year before it was recognised in the UK.

The plaque read: “This tree has been planted in appreciation of Our Key Workers and Volunteers by the borough. to honor Their Selflessness and Dedication given to the residents and the vulnerable During the Covid Pandemic March 2019.”

The council in Wiltshire, south-west England, has apologised and said it was unable to fix the plaque in time for its unveiling at a tree planting ceremony in Coate Water country park on the edge of Swindon attended by local dignitaries.

The tribute was intended to reflect the council’s appreciation of the efforts of key workers and volunteers during an unprecedented period of change. But instead it has provoked dismay. 

One Swindon councillor posted an image of the plaque on Twitter, with the comment “very poorly executed”.

• Sad 3

At a guess I'd say the person or committee that put the text together has grown up with the idea that only thumbs are needed to type on a keyboard. Seems they've become so used to using abbreviations and skipping punctuation they've forgotten to how to use it in a professional setting. I know that was the case with my son when he started working for me.

I was wondering where the spelling mistake was until I read this quote "Random capitalisation, American spelling and mistakes…". :default_acute:

Ironic, in that I have just downloaded 'Grammarly' to my British Airways laptop.  I am now tasked with working within the BA Social Media department as well as Customer Relations. Very interesting, but, if you are replying on behalf of BA, you need to ensure it is grammatically correct.

I am shocked that the plaque was allowed to see daylight.

P.S, I don't always spellcheck my prose on this forum lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I am shocked that the plaque was allowed to see daylight.

P.S, I don't always spellcheck my prose on this forum lol.

Me too, making the mistake is one thing, displaying it after is diabolical. 

Many of my posts are edited because I have had to correct either the spelling or grammar.

Thankfully the grammar police keep their views to themselves these days!

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1