Looking to Buy a Pool Villa

ChiFlyer

The GF and I have been living in a very nice VT2A condo for the last 4 years. Our current contract expires at the end of July 2023. We have started looking at purchasing a pool villa, as we think that would have greater value going forward and also we are getting tired of condo living and the constant owner arguments about how the community funds are being spent.

What we have in mind are the following:

• 24x7 Security
  • Existing property, not willing to buy into something in progress.
  • More interested in an established property (less than 10 years old).
  • A good community where people work together to keep things looking good as opposed to an austerity program that runs things into the ground.
  • Price range 8 to 10 million with half due upfront and then a 5 year contract for the balance.
  • Large enough place -> 300 sqm.
  • Personal pool -> not that large. An additionally larger community pool would be a big plus.
  • 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, more bedrooms ok, as some can be converted to office space. Do not want small bedrooms.
  • Room for the GF's gardens.
  • Within 15 kms of Jomtien.
  • Modern bathrooms
  • Western style kitchen
  • Outside cooking area near the pool

Obviously, this is a wish list and compromises will be necessary. Also conversions can be done after the purchase.

Anyway, I guess what I am looking for here are some suggestions of pool/villa communities that are worth checking out.

tia,

CF

Baan Balina 3 is wellknown and liked. A bit older than 10 years but worth to look at. Otherwise visit Baan Balina 4 or a  bit more modern style their next project Baan Pattaya 5. 

Baan Anda is also nice, again a bit older but check out at least the pics on the web.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

• Large enough place -> 300 sqm.

Could you elaborate? 300 sqm for the land plot would be small. For your price range you should be looking at 400-600 sqm = 100-150 TW , unless you buy in villages such as Silk Road Place, which seems overpriced but has a beautiful Italian style homes.

300 sqm internal living space seems too large, even counting the carport and veranda/porch as they do it in Thailand.

Edited by CampariO
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, CampariO said:

Could you elaborate? 300 sqm for the land plot would be small. For your price range you should be looking at 400-600 sqm = 100-150 TW , unless you buy in villages such as Silk Road Place, which seems overpriced but has a beautiful Italian style homes.

300 sqm internal living space seems too large, even counting the carport and veranda/porch as they do it in Thailand.

I meant the internal living space for the 300 sqm number. After thinking about it, 250 should be just fine.

20 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

Depending on what side of the rails you prefer,but i d think the other side would have plenty in that price range for the specs you require.

Basically, I am thinking that we will be targeting the Dark Side of the Rails and then some. I referred to Hua Yai and I have heard some others call this the Mabprachan Reservoir area. The GF and I have been active over the last few weeks looking at properties out this way, usually 2 or 3 a week. Some nice enough properties within out stated budget and some excellent ones a little beyond that. Will have to think through the later factor. 😞

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Saw an interesting place today near Wat Boon Kachana. Listed at 6.5 M and they were immediately agreeing to 6. Nice enough house with a splash pool, but several non-starters for me.

• The street is not paved.
  • No security
  • Kitchen is too small for my needs
  • Lots of upgrade work in other areas (maybe 1 M) to meet my needs.

On the bright side there is excellent financing available. 500,000 down and then a stated amount per month for 5 years. I did not work out the exact numbers as the show stoppers from IMO precluded that level of interest.

If this works for someone else, send me a PM.

• Like 1

Viewed 3 places over in Na Jomtien today all in the same property management complex. I really liked one of them. This place hit most of my wish list items and had recently been reduced by 1/2 Million. It appeared to have been well taken care of.

We have to decide if Na Jomtien is too far out there, primarily for the GF. She does not drive. Also, she is a sociable person, unlike my ornery ass. If she is too far of a drive for her BFFs to regularly visit, that might be a problem. We can talk this out I guess.

17 hours ago, Zambo said:

This is how we bought our house (not through the website but a Kasikorn Bank Branch). The house we bought did have some work to do as there had been some damage during the repossesion, but we set a budget for that and IMO the final price was good.

https://www.kasikornbank.com/th/propertyforsale 

Thanks for the idea. My primary connection here in Thailand is with Bangkok Bank. I should probably stop over there and ask what kind of assistance might be available.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Well we bought a house today. The fat lady has not sung just yet, but there has been verbal offer and acceptance, I put 10% down, the lawyers are reviewing the contracts, and it is rapidly approaching "done deal" status.

I am pretty happy with what we got other than the location is not ideal. The house is about 30 minutes South by Southwest from Jomtien. Technically we are in Na Jomtien but near Hua Yai. Actually this is the house I posted about liking two posts back. We initially decided that it was too far out, but after viewing another 6 or 7 properties, we decided that it was too good of a value house wise to pass on. The village is called "Baan Dusit3". Lots to like about the village from what I see so far.

Thanks to those who contributed to this thread.

Congratulations on the home purchase. Looking forward to the 247 house warming party. :default_getdown:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, tommy dee said:

what ever you do, use a lawyer.  dont just take on a house and company.  the risks are enourmous.  few K in thai and tony at magna carta will do a full check on the property and company for you

I have already done so. I use a Thai guy who recently did some Will work for us. He was recommended by a friend who runs a well known restaurant and has been working with him for a number of years.

The attorney has worked with clients of the seller's agent in the past and says that things have been on the up and up. The only problem is that the agent tends to be a total pain in the ass when it comes to being pushy. I guess the terms realtor agent and pushy are redundant.

Edited by ChiFlyer

Congratulations, nothing wrong with scooping up a bargain that happens to be a few miles further away. I never realized how big the Pattaya/Jomtien area has gotten, been to Jomtien a grand total of ONE time, in 2008, with a Secrets lady who wanted to show me off to her old beer bar mates. 

Since I started moving more this year to lose weight, I’m always curious to compare walking distances….I think this restaurant is near your new home. If that’s the case, then even I would be grabbing a Bolt or baht bus, unless I wanted to be smelling very ripe by the time I arrive to the bars. We all know how much Thai ladies love our scent! 

B4A70167-38CE-4794-9E65-BC85521CC2B4.jpeg

13 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I have already done so. I use a Thai guy who recently did some Will work for us. He was recommended by a friend who runs a well known restaurant and has been working with him for a number of years.

The attorney has worked with clients of the seller's agent in the past and says that things have been on the up and up. The only problem is that the agent tends to be a total pain in the ass when it comes to being pushy. I guess the terms realtor agent and pushy are redundant.

agents hate lawyers as they delay their commissions 🙂  reality is that many companies here are not up to date with tax returns so buying a property on a co, needs a lawyer.  also checking that there is no incumberance  on the property.  thats key.  loans, mortgages etc.     the agent can just wait 555

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Congratulations, nothing wrong with scooping up a bargain that happens to be a few miles further away. I never realized how big the Pattaya/Jomtien area has gotten, been to Jomtien a grand total of ONE time, in 2008, with a Secrets lady who wanted to show me off to her old beer bar mates. 

Since I started moving more this year to lose weight, I’m always curious to compare walking distances….I think this restaurant is near your new home. If that’s the case, then even I would be grabbing a Bolt or baht bus, unless I wanted to be smelling very ripe by the time I arrive to the bars. We all know how much Thai ladies love our scent! 

B4A70167-38CE-4794-9E65-BC85521CC2B4.jpeg

to say its sprawling would be fair to be sure.  really out to the marina now.

15 hours ago, tommy dee said:

agents hate lawyers as they delay their commissions 🙂  reality is that many companies here are not up to date with tax returns so buying a property on a co, needs a lawyer.  also checking that there is no incumberance  on the property.  thats key.  loans, mortgages etc.     the agent can just wait 555

The thing that has occurred to me is that because this is setup through a company, from a US perspective that means that I will now own shares in a foreign company. As a US citizen that may mean that I have to report this holding on my FBAR. hmm - just read through last year's FBAR and I think FBAR only covers financial accounts and that is not what this is.

Anybody know better?

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

I was told by the lawyer today that any US money transfers should include a contract number to tag the transfer as being for the purchase of a house. Anybody done this?

While I've not purchased a home here, it's good advice. By indicating the transfer is for the purchase of a home it will allow you to repatriate the money from the sale of the home at a later date.

On 11/27/2022 at 2:40 AM, tommy dee said:

to say its sprawling would be fair to be sure.  really out to the marina now.

Was this English humour Tommy? Either way I wouldn’t get it…..I just realized that one afternoon in Jomtien was like the only time I was ever South of say, Soi Arab or Imsomnia. Been up to 3rd Road, but never even Darkside. I must explore next trip 

15 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Was this English humour Tommy? Either way I wouldn’t get it…..I just realized that one afternoon in Jomtien was like the only time I was ever South of say, Soi Arab or Imsomnia. Been up to 3rd Road, but never even Darkside. I must explore next trip 

Tommy I believe was referring to urban sprawl. A lot of land that was previously jungle and scrub brush has been paved over and developed in the last dozen years. IHMO, the pace of development has accelerated in the past six years, with only a temporary pause due to the China virus. Probably won't be long before ChiFlyer has a shinny new shopping mall on the vacant land north of his new villa.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1