Looking to Buy a Pool Villa

ChiFlyer

7 hours ago, tko said:

I've had well over 100KUSD in Thailand for years, and have never been given any special attention.  I've never seen any mention of that 100KUSD issue, do you know where you saw it? 

I know not to exceed the limits that would trigger FATCA reporting, but married filing jointly and living overseas our limits are 600KUSD anytime during the year or 400KUSD at the end of a year.  EDIT: It's half that if you're single living overseas.

I don't plan on keeping that much in Thailand, or in cash anywhere.

Thanks.

I initially read about the 100KUSD on PA a few (5?) years back. It was on the internet. It must be true.

In order to pay for the house, I had a brief spike this year (2023) where I went a little over 200K US. The spike was very short lived. Normally, I am at a max of about 50KUSD in Thailand. Sounds like I should not be attracting undue/unwanted attention through next year's FBAR.

15 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Thanks.

I initially read about the 100KUSD on PA a few (5?) years back. It was on the internet. It must be true.

In order to pay for the house, I had a brief spike this year (2023) where I went a little over 200K US. The spike was very short lived. Normally, I am at a max of about 50KUSD in Thailand. Sounds like I should not be attracting undue/unwanted attention through next year's FBAR.

You should be good then.  Even single living overseas 300KUSD anytime during the year is the FATCA limit, and once you turn that cash into a house, you'll drop below the 200KUSD end of year limit.  They don't care about property, only financial holdings.

• Like 1

Been spending a lot of time at the new house this week, moving small seldom used batches of things over, riding herd on worker crews, cleaning up things, and just getting things turned up for the most part. Bought a bundle of necessary home owner tools at Thaiwatsado (Ratchets, hammers, pruning things, wrenches, ...). I have budgeted 500,000 for desired home improvements over the first 4 months. Looks like we will come close to using most of it.

Putting in a handrail near the steps into the shallow end of the pool. Old guys need help at times and it is a little slippery at that end. Finally found the manual for the SMEG oven model that we have. Dishwasher manual is next.

Like I told a friend the other day we are well on our way. We have TP in the bathroom and coke in the fridge. The internet service gets turned up next week.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Had the front and poolside doors replaced today. Neither was secure. The TWife opened up the front door despite the fact that I had locked it. Total cost was 50,000 and they did a great job. I had screens added so that we can get cross breezes without having bug problems.

Hired a combined Swimming Pool maintenance and Gardening Crew for 3000 a month. Great work so far. btw does anyone have a recommendation for a Swimming Pool Tile Cleaner. There is a little discoloration in our pool near the water line and also where the reflection wall flows into the pool. I have been doing searches on Lazada, but the results are not very specific and often in Pasathai.

Internet crew (CAT - now NT) is coming out tomorrow. The area management is charging me extra for riding their fiber. I don't like it, but that will get the job done.

Need more Thaiwatsado trips and I now have 15 outstanding Lazada orders. 😞  

Oh, and does anyone have a safe recommendation? I never bought one before. Obviously, I need to have my work crew bolt said safe down so that it is not easily carried off. I do not need a large safe, just one to hold important documents and extra cash. Unfortunately, the important documents factor is and has been on the increase. 

Not so much the extra cash these days. 😞

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Oh, and does anyone have a safe recommendation?

Bought this one either in Baan&Beyond or Homepro for 2180 Baht during a clearance sale. Normally 3180-3680 at Thaiwatsadu according to this link:

https://www.thaiwatsadu.com/th/product/ตู้เซฟนิรภัยสำหรับโรงแรม-KASSA-รุ่น-195ZB-ขนาด-437-ซม-สีดำ-60293756?

Using it for one of my rental condos, big enough for the average size laptop.

Office mate in front of Baan&Beyond seems to sell safes as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tommy dee said:

if the line in the pool is black, try wire wool.. otherwise its a hard water line and wont remove. only way is to retile the line. we retiled our pools at a cost of about 40K incl tiles and labour

Try a pumice stone, for a pool you will need alot.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tommy dee said:

if the line in the pool is black, try wire wool.. otherwise its a hard water line and wont remove. only way is to retile the line. we retiled our pools at a cost of about 40K incl tiles and labour

Assuming you're talking about calcium deposits causing the hard water line, wouldn't muriatic acid dissolve the deposits? You would of course have to drain the pool and thoroughly rinse the pool out before use again, but still easier and cheaper than replacing tiles.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Assuming you're talking about calcium deposits causing the hard water line, wouldn't muriatic acid dissolve the deposits? You would of course have to drain the pool and thoroughly rinse the pool out before use again, but still easier and cheaper than replacing tiles.

I suggest a powder cleaning bleach applied with a stiff brush. Around the waterline you can be in the pool at the time.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 11:14 PM, ChiFlyer said:

Oh, and does anyone have a safe recommendation? I never bought one before. Obviously, I need to have my work crew bolt said safe down so that it is not easily carried off. I do not need a large safe, just one to hold important documents and extra cash. Unfortunately, the important documents factor is and has been on the increase. 

MySafe, Pattaya Klang opposite to Harbor Mall.

As the name suggests, they only sell safes and have a huge selection in all price ranges.

Also, if you ever have any problem they are happy and quick to help out and carry a good range of common spare parts too.

Edited by SteveBC
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

16 hours ago, Zambo said:

I suggest a powder cleaning bleach applied with a stiff brush. Around the waterline you can be in the pool at the time.

either works sadly because it breaks down the glaze of the tiles too.  f caught ealry its a black line and can be scrubbed saily to remove.  much later it is a deposit which eats the tlles

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tommy dee said:

much later it is a deposit which eats the tlles

There are 2 different conditions here, scum or scale. My point about powdered cleaning bleach is for a scum line (which i expect is the more common - my knowledge on the subject is from large public swimming pools).

The discoulered waterline due to scum is just from body oil, sunscreen and general dirt floating on the pool that makes it's way to the edge forming a line. This greasy line then attracts more dirt which becomes a dirty line that needs cleaning.

As the pool already has chlorine in it to disinfect the water the addition of some more chlorine as a powder cleaning bleach applied by a stiff plastic scrubbing brush will do no harm at all.

A calcium scale is a bit more of a problem and better covered by others here. But in the longterm regular checking of the chemical levels/Ph of the pool are needed.

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1

Meanwhile back at the pool discussion. The discoloring that I have is not all that serious, but I would like to try and address it. Here is a pic of the problem.

Pool Tile 2.jpg

I bought a bag of powdered bleach from Lazada and will try and take a pass at it that way. It is the cheapest option.

The small black tiles wall is a reflection wall and water trickles down it twice times a day for a few hours. It needs some cleaning as well, but one thing at a time.

Well ok, one more thing, the pool water (given the cooler weather) has been uncomfortably yen mak mak (cold). Have any of you guys installed water heaters into your pool water feeds? Cost?

Edited by ChiFlyer

22 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Well ok, one more thing, the pool water (given the cooler weather) has been uncomfortably yen mak mak (cold). Have any of you guys installed water heaters into your pool water feeds? Cost?

Looks like a decent water heater is available from Lazada for about 6000. I imagine the labor for cutting it into the pool water supply would be about the same. Well worth it IMO to make the place what I want it to be. Will have to talk to the pool guy about this.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/18kw-220v-digital-swimming-pool-spa-electric-water-heater-thermostat-hot-tub-i2752205603-s9995651118.html?

If anyone else goes down this path, make sure to check out all the locks on sliding doors. I did not notice how bad ours were until after we purchased the place. Yeah, they locked, but the locking was easily broken through. Kind of a mixed feeling problem, as this is giving me an excuse to install replacements with screens. Love having screens for this time of year in Thailand.

I have spent 50,000 on replacing two sliding doors already. Having the crew out tomorrow to price out another sliding door and a set of windows (my office room) that I would also like to have screened and better protected lock wise. I am guessing close to another 50,000 for that.

Like I said, I had budgeted 500,000 for startup upgrade costs and I think we will spend most of that.

Still need many significant purchases.

• Washer Dryer
  • Desk for my office room
  • Cabinet near the front door
  • Security Cameras
  • Additional Planned remodeling costs
  • Weber Grill 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 9:52 AM, Zambo said:

There are 2 different conditions here, scum or scale. My point about powdered cleaning bleach is for a scum line (which i expect is the more common - my knowledge on the subject is from large public swimming pools).

The discoulered waterline due to scum is just from body oil, sunscreen and general dirt floating on the pool that makes it's way to the edge forming a line. This greasy line then attracts more dirt which becomes a dirty line that needs cleaning.

As the pool already has chlorine in it to disinfect the water the addition of some more chlorine as a powder cleaning bleach applied by a stiff plastic scrubbing brush will do no harm at all.

A calcium scale is a bit more of a problem and better covered by others here. But in the longterm regular checking of the chemical levels/Ph of the pool are needed.

the main source of the sum line here is the smog.  hence it is black.  when i do daily swim, not now too cold,m I walk arond with a kitchen scrubber and do the line daily

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 10:26 PM, ChiFlyer said:

Looks like a decent water heater is available from Lazada for about 6000. I imagine the labor for cutting it into the pool water supply would be about the same. Well worth it IMO to make the place what I want it to be. Will have to talk to the pool guy about this.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/18kw-220v-digital-swimming-pool-spa-electric-water-heater-thermostat-hot-tub-i2752205603-s9995651118.html?

Been looking a little deeper into the pool water heater. I am thinking they do not work like I initially thought. Seems like one can run two fair sized hoses into the pool water and move the water from the pool, through the heater, and back into the pool. This would mean no work needs to be done on cutting the heater into the existing pool water system. 

More to follow.

I thought that this was informative as a starting point.

Edited by ChiFlyer

Make your own hot water heater. Just need a roll of copper tubing, a couple of hoses and a pump, oh and a fire pit to heat the water flowing through the copper tubing. :default_biggrin:

Pictures of our makeshift pool/hot tub from one of our annual Mississippi River houseboat cruises.

P1010014.JPG

P1010105.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Make your own hot water heater. Just need a roll of copper tubing, a couple of hoses and a pump, oh and a fire pit to heat the water flowing through the copper tubing. :default_biggrin:

Pictures of our makeshift pool/hot tub from one of our annual Mississippi River houseboat cruises.

P1010014.JPG

P1010105.JPG

A lot of hand dig there!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2023 at 12:09 AM, ChiFlyer said:

Meanwhile back at the pool discussion. The discoloring that I have is not all that serious, but I would like to try and address it. Here is a pic of the problem.

Pool Tile 2.jpg

I bought a bag of powdered bleach from Lazada and will try and take a pass at it that way. It is the cheapest option.

The small black tiles wall is a reflection wall and water trickles down it twice times a day for a few hours. It needs some cleaning as well, but one thing at a time.

The pool on the roof of our condo has been way to cold for a relaxing swim for a few months now.....Most of the year the water temperature is fine...

The cheapest option would be to just not swim for a few months out of the year...Problem solved at zero cost.........If you really want to swim the ocean stays at a temperature that is ok for swimming.....

Even though I know zero about heating pools.....I can imagine the electricity costs could be enormous to heat a pool....

We continue to make progress little by little getting the place where we want it to be in order to move in. I am looking for a few shopping tips.

• A nice set of dishes. As many of you know, I like to do home cooking. Most of our dishes in the condo belong to the owner, so I am looking for a nice set of dishes. Found a set on Lazada that I really liked. I must have spent 2 hours picking out exactly what I wanted. Today (4 weeks later) the order was cancelled and is now listed as "Out of Stock". Anyway, any recommendations for in store shopping. I am looking for a little more upscale items.
  • Bedding. We have inherited a very large bed (84" x 84") in the master bedroom. I have an order into Lazada for 7 ft. bed sheets. That order was placed the same day as the dishes, so I am expecting that this order will soon also tank. I have found an internet site with some very nice extra large bedding. Sounds like they might be out of the UK. Anybody ever use these guys. Based on their reviews the customers, for the most part, seem to love them and their products.

https://www.etsy.com/market/custom_bed_sheets

tia

11 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I have found an internet site with some very nice extra large bedding. Sounds like they might be out of the UK. Anybody ever use these guys. Based on their reviews the customers, for the most part, seem to love them and their products.

Etsy is just a platform like ebay (although a bit more niche) so concentrate on individual seller reviews.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etsy

• Thanks 1