2022 Football World Cup

coxyhog

9 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Did you see the game live?

There's 2 things very wrong with what happened

Firstly the call on the field was no goal. So there should be clear evidence an error was made, and there wasn't.

Secondly the suppression by FIFA/the offical broadcasater of pictures of the ball. Gary Neville was furious about this, and easy to understand why. Viewers were shown a single frame that I couldn't have called conclusive proof the ball was in.

I've seen an image on the BBC website this morning were the ball looks clearly out. To me the used image put out was selective to support a decision that never should have been made

As I said at best it smacks of incompetence, but worse the hushing up of it.  In the afternoon game another appalling decision with a penalty given by VAR to Argentina.

I'm dreading what's going to happen in the knockout stages

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

I'm dreading what's going to happen in the knockout stages

What's going to happen??? ....

The same that has been happening all season in the PL..VAR is a good tool to help correctly officiate a game but it is misused and misjudged by incompetent officials.

EDIT = Having said that, comparing the position of the ball in last night's game with just about every corner taken in the PL this season then it was still in play.

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

16 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

What's going to happen??? ....

The same that has been happening all season in the PL..VAR is a good tool to help correctly officiate a game but it is misused and misjudged by incompetent officials.

EDIT = Having said that, comparing the position of the ball in last night's game with just about every corner taken in the PL this season then it was still in play.

The misuse of VAR in this tournament has been way, way worse than the PL for me

Have you been able to watch many of the games? Kind time difference here but I've seen them all, and from the England v Iran games, there's been several shocking decisions.

I'd admit to not watching as many PL games, but can't recall anything like this.

Hope I'm wrong but can only see games ruined by poor decisions in the knockout

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Lemondropkid said:

Have you been able to watch many of the games? Kind time difference here but I've seen them all, and from the England v Iran games, there's been several shocking decisions.

Hahaha! Yep I saw the rugby tackle on Maguire and the shirt pull penalty...Shocking!

With the PL it is more about WHEN it is used, hence my "misuse" comment.

I am damned sure that if the England players were as forceful as the Iran players against the ref then maybe it would have gone to VAR..

Which leads us on to the bigger problem of players aggressively abusing the referee.. 

8 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I am damned sure that if the England players were as forceful as the Iran players against the ref then maybe it would have gone to VAR..

That I do agree with

I felt England were singled out a "special case". Collina was using film of England players as part of the referee's briefing  as to what to look out for.

• Thumbs Up 1

Colin Wanker posted this on Twitter with the comment 'What goes around comes around'.

The main pic is from a previous WC when England were thrashed by Germany and Frank Lampard's clearly over the line goal was disallowed.The inset was from yesterday.

PS Colin Wanker is an anagram of Neil Warnock....

Fi7BnCoWYAIA3m-.jpeg

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

12329A21-848C-4522-8AE8-BC9DFE249057.jpeg

I think his foot was still touching the ball a frame further on. But I maybe wrong?

The worrying thing is that no pictures were made available to broadcasters. The ITV team were sat pretty damn close to it, looking down and all 4 had thought it out in real time

If the host broadcaster wanted to make people feel they were covering up an a blunder, job done.

Anyway Uraguary v Ghana up at 15:00, nothing bad ever happens in that game!

Come on the Black Stars.

29 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Would need to see the ball from above the line as it is the curvature of the ball which can be above the line and not necessarily touching the line to be allowed as in play.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63829718

& that is the best and fairest way to do it.If the ball had to be touching the line then the curvature of the ball would prevent the camera from seeing it.

Edited by coxyhog