Pic tr from hua hin and surrounding areas.

Phantom51red

Looking forward to more pics too. I am a weirdo/creature of habit in respect to the places I’ve visited. 40+ weeks on 3 visits, 95+ % of my time has been spent in Pattaya/Chiang Mai, with a few nights sprinkled in BKK. No HH, no Phuket/Krabi/South. 

That being said, all my travel was done before the real smartphone craze, and we weren’t constantly online all day, so I guess it was easier to be complacent. Next trip will be different. I swear

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

Some pics from hua hin this morning,very quite,nice relaxed walk,and a drive about on scooter,new train station looks good and coming along pretty quick since here last year.

When I was working in Bangkok we used to alternate between Hua Hin and Pattaya for weekends away. When I say "we" I'm referring to a few Brits, a few Kiwis, a few slabs of beer and a few ladies! "When"was 96/97.

I have memories of driving passed HH until the main road veered right and we took a left fork that was initially tarmac but then became a dirt track. It led to a couple of small Thai guest houses/resorts which is where we stayed. The dirt track led to a small beach that was around a corner from the bottom end of the main HH Beach. It was mainly surrounded by forestry and shrubland so we'd collect all the driftwood and dead shrubs etc from the forest and have an all night BBQ. Happy Days!!

So, your task...if you wish to accept it.....is to try and retrace the track and take some photos ........This tape will explode in 10 seconds ....10....9.....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

52 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

When I was working in Bangkok we used to alternate between Hua Hin and Pattaya for weekends away. When I say "we" I'm referring to a few Brits, a few Kiwis, a few slabs of beer and a few ladies! "When"was 96/97.

I have memories of driving passed HH until the main road veered right and we took a left fork that was initially tarmac but then became a dirt track. It led to a couple of small Thai guest houses/resorts which is where we stayed. The dirt track led to a small beach that was around a corner from the bottom end of the main HH Beach. It was mainly surrounded by forestry and shrubland so we'd collect all the driftwood and dead shrubs etc from the forest and have an all night BBQ. Happy Days!!

So, your task...if you wish to accept it.....is to try and retrace the track and take some photos ........This tape will explode in 10 seconds ....10....9.....

I think I know where your at,other side of monkey mountain,few condos there now,still many small guest houses,was going to drive down that way today see what's changed since last year's visit,not much prob,will head down in next few days sir.

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

I think I know where your at,other side of monkey mountain,few condos there now,still many small guest houses,was going to drive down that way today see what's changed since last year's visit,not much prob,will head down in next few days sir.

From memory this seems to be the spot. Hua Thanon 1 was the dirt track and the Ibis wasn't there ... Also there doesn't seem to be a "corner" on the beach either.. Reni Beach ??

Hua Hin.png

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Thumbs Up 1

Always happy to see threads on Hua Hin. Lived there for 5 years and visited regularly, last trip in August 22.

Great to get a motorbike and travel around. Wouldn't stay at the Ibis again, I did, and the wife complained of ticks on the sheets, they allow dogs in the rooms and not just some rooms, all rooms.

Love the place and hope to buy a condo there sometime.

• Thumbs Up 1

HH is a place that initially on my early visits I really didn't care much for it. But as I "branched out" and learned more it became more desirable for me over time. Also over time mongering became less of a priority for me, in the early years it was somewhat discouraging when out "looking for trim" after a few weeks in Pattaya.

I think one of the biggest drawbacks I found was selectivity of moderate range, well located hotels. It seemed that most of the places were either very "high end" or somewhat shabby for my liking. Again, this is  another issue that became less problematic for me as I became more comfortable with various locations and transportation options.

It is easy to get spoiled with hotel options in Pattaya, a broad spectrum of  rooms, many of them moderately priced and in good locations. Even there though the peak of "high season (the 10 or 15 day period around xmas and new years)" can be very challenging to find a good room. Best to avoid travel anywhere during that period IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

From memory this seems to be the spot. Hua Thanon 1 was the dirt track and the Ibis wasn't there ... Also there doesn't seem to be a "corner" on the beach either.. Reni Beach ??

Hua Hin.png

No corner,the beach basically runs from hilton to takiab/monkey mountain with a slight bend 5klm I've walked it few times back n fourth,so reni beach is just part of it not sure why they named that particular part reni,prob some hotel or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

No corner,the beach basically runs from hilton to takiab/monkey mountain with a slight bend 5klm I've walked it few times back n fourth,so reni beach is just part of it not sure why they named that particular part reni,prob some hotel or something.

I reckon it was some encroachment onto the beach that has since been removed ...

34 minutes ago, KWA said:

Is that the Bell Bus and does it still terminate at the bus station out near the airport?

It is and does terminate there,you can catch a green bht bus that runs every10 minutes just down the road from bus station if haven't arranged pick up,or 150 bht minivan to clock tower.

• Great Info 1

14 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

It is and does terminate there,you can catch a green bht bus that runs every10 minutes just down the road from bus station if haven't arranged pick up,or 150 bht minivan to clock tower.

That's a change.  They tried to hard sell everyone on the bus last time I went a 200 baht per person ride into town, but there was also a free shared minibus waiting that would take you.  Bolt or Grab was about 60 baht IIRC.

Up on the hill soi mungkol to a favourite restaurant of ours about 15 min drive from town centre,glad to see it still open and busy,and to my surprise the road is a duel carriageway now,was single lanes last year,tho they were building at that time.

And some pic from viewpoint.

20221120_192506_copy_2312x1734.jpg20221120_192811_copy_2312x1734.jpg20221120_192529_copy_2008x1404.jpg20221120_192838_copy_2312x1664.jpg20221120_191721_copy_2312x1734.jpg20221120_192417_copy_1734x2312.jpg20221120_194400_copy_1734x2312.jpg20221120_195706.jpg20221120_195328.jpg20221120_195023.jpg20221120_194905_copy_1734x2312.jpg20221120_174706_copy_2312x1734.jpg20221120_174633_copy_2312x1734.jpg20221120_174404_copy_2973x1399.jpg20221120_174510_copy_2059x1481.jpg

Edited by Phantom51red
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, KWA said:

That's a change.  They tried to hard sell everyone on the bus last time I went a 200 baht per person ride into town, but there was also a free shared minibus waiting that would take you.  Bolt or Grab was about 60 baht IIRC.

It might be 200 to hotel not sure but defo 150 to c tower,I've only used there service once to clock tower 100 bht back then.

On 11/20/2022 at 1:19 PM, Phantom51red said:

It might be 200 to hotel not sure but defo 150 to c tower,I've only used there service once to clock tower 100 bht back then.

A mate arrived there yesterday.  The free minibus to the clock is still available but they're still trying to charge, although he said they were trying for 100 baht.

• Great Info 3

16 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

It gets bigger each time I have been there have added 3 nights there on my next trip away looking forward 

The bars on soi 94 have increased in number, the bars along the cut through from 94 to 88 have also increased. There is also another newish complex of bars at the Soi 94 end of the road alongside the railway track that heads to Soi 88. I wouldn't even bother with Soi 80 or Bintibaht anymore. 

Some great restaurants now on the cut through road including a great German Restuarant. I was impressed with the girly offering when there in August.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

7 hours ago, Horizondave said:

The bars on soi 94 have increased in number, the bars along the cut through from 94 to 88 have also increased. There is also another newish complex of bars at the Soi 94 end of the road alongside the railway track that heads to Soi 88. I wouldn't even bother with Soi 80 or Bintibaht anymore. 

Some great restaurants now on the cut through road including a great German Restuarant. I was impressed with the girly offering when there in August.

Thats my plan this trip

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1