Need tech help

Phantom51red

11 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

Since arriving in Thailand I've not been able to use 24/7 on my laptop,never had this issue before or last month in pattaya,all other sites and my bookmarks work,using my phone can be a pain sometimes specially for typing.Any ideas folks?

Thanks in advance.

20221129_215803.jpg

I'm sure some tech guy will help you out. But if you can access on your phone that should be even better than your laptop. What's the typing problem? You can set for example the keyboard size.

20 minutes ago, Zambo said:

I'm sure some tech guy will help you out. But if you can access on your phone that should be even better than your laptop. What's the typing problem? You can set for example the keyboard size.

Better on phone for uploading photos to tr,but for just general browsing other threads and responding ect I prefer laptop especially while eating breakfast,good time to catch up in the morning,only downside can be I'm usually on a lot longer 😅 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

Since arriving in Thailand I've not been able to use 24/7 on my laptop,never had this issue before or last month in pattaya,all other sites and my bookmarks work,using my phone can be a pain sometimes specially for typing.Any ideas folks?

Thanks in advance.

20221129_215803.jpg

Try again a bit later and/or use another browser.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

Try again a bit later and/or use another browser.

The browser may be the problem. I live here in Thailand and Firefox works well for me. Many folks seem to swear by Chrome, but that occasionally causes conflicts with my overall MSFT infrastructure.

Another possibility is the Anti-virus software. Mcafee in particular throws a lot of false warnings trying to get one to buy additional products.

You can do a trace to see where the error is being generated from, but without knowing more about you infrastructure (and if I am familiar with it) I am can not say more. 

I had a similar problem a few years back and the root cause was Mcafee throwing errors because it was not knowledgeable of my Thai CAT wireless router. I only had Mcaffee because it came for free with that particular laptop. Perhaps your antivirus software is having fits with a different router implementation.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Thumbs Up 1

Anti-virus software is a serious problem, the current least bad is Microsoft Defender. As for browsers, most of them are Chrome derivatives with Firefox one of the few exceptions (and I use both of them and some others as well for different things).

Tracing the problem above is something I usually won't try even on my own hardware and I think I am quite capable (running five Pi-holes in parallel on three different RPis for starters, running DHCP on one those same RPis).

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

Anti-virus software is a serious problem, the current least bad is Microsoft Defender. As for browsers, most of them are Chrome derivatives with Firefox one of the few exceptions (and I use both of them and some others as well for different things).

Tracing the problem above is something I usually won't try even on my own hardware and I think I am quite capable (running five Pi-holes in parallel on three different RPis for starters, running DHCP on one those same RPis).

I have solved my problems by moving to a high end laptop with Windows 11 and making Defender my antivirus product. Works good enough for me so far.

I found my Mcafee problem through a network trace, which was not all that difficult to invoke. The trace showed a singular IP being identified by Mcafee as repeatedly being the problem. After staring down the trace log several times I eventually realized that the IP was my CAT wireless router. Nothing wrong with the router IMO, just Mcafee trying to sell me shit that I did not need.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I have solved my problems by moving to a high end laptop with Windows 11 and making Defender my antivirus product. Works good enough for me so far.

I prefer Windows 10 (and I will keep Microsoft to its promise it will be the last version of Windows), also using Defender. 

5 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I found my Mcafee problem through a network trace, which was not all that difficult to invoke. The trace showed a singular IP being identified by Mcafee as repeatedly being the problem. After staring down the trace log several times I eventually realized that the IP was my CAT wireless router. Nothing wrong with the router IMO, just Mcafee trying to sell me shit that I did not need.

McAfee stopped being a good product when John left the company he founded.

Had this same problem Phantom, got tired of it, my wife's Lenovo Laptop worked well with Windows. I have an Apple Laptop with OS X version 10.11.3 year 2015. I had enough of this, so took it down to "IT Island"  at Fashion Island Mall here in Minburi. They have a ton of these " fix it" stores that these young Thai kids work at.....this one particular kid spoke perfect English. 

Told him what the problem was, he logged on to his fancy, dancy computer and looked up Thailand 247 for me right? I told him that this particular forum had just changed hosts/servers etc and could that be the problem? 

Ok cut to the chase here, he said something like "The HSTS vectors are now not compatible with Chrome firewall" or something like that. The went on to tell me a bunch of other things that might be wrong too. He said he will run a complete diagnostics on it and assured me that he will fix the problem, and come back in 30 minutes. 

Cool kid, asked me if I was married, showed him a pic of wifey on my phone and says to me "Oh, she's younger then you right"  Yeah I get that alot......LOL!  He also suggested to me that I go down to the first floor and go to the "Playboy" store and talk to the girls there as there are some real nice girls working there and they speak good English. Damn...he was right. 200 baht later wifey now has a "Playboy" T-shirt. The girls told me I am the "only" white guy to come in there in the last week??   OK...

Go back, he tells me to log on to Thailand 247 and..........bam!  Up and running again. I asked him "Tao Rai Krap"? Tells me 100 baht....I gave him 200 and told him I will be back if I ever need problems fixed for sure. 

There are certainly some good things here about Thailand.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

I've had an email from @Aqualung saying he can't log on at all to 247. He's tried resetting the password, but he doesn't receive the email to let him do that. He says he's also tried setting up a new account with a different email address but again doesn't get an email.

I've PM'd @john luke but if Admin see this can they take a look into it for him? I can pass on a message to him via email if a response/plan of action can be provided here.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Britboy said:

I've had an email from @Aqualung saying he can't log on at all to 247. He's tried resetting the password, but he doesn't receive the email to let him do that. He says he's also tried setting up a new account with a different email address but again doesn't get an email.

I've PM'd @john luke but if Admin see this can they take a look into it for him? I can pass on a message to him via email if a response/plan of action can be provided here.

Just to cover all the obvious bases; has he checked his spam folder?

... let us try...

Open up Command Prompt (simply type in CMD in the search field) - type in ipconfig /flushdns - hit "enter". If you need to refresh without logging out, simply type in gpupdate /force - hit "enter"- wait for confirmation, type "exit" to close Command Prompt.

Open browser - type in https://thailand-247.com/ - hit "enter" - could be worth trying in Ctrl+Shift+N to see if it works in Incognito mode...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Britboy said:

PM sent back to you.  I have forwarded to PM to @tommy dee who has admin access to the forum. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Had this same problem Phantom, got tired of it, my wife's Lenovo Laptop worked well with Windows. I have an Apple Laptop with OS X version 10.11.3 year 2015. I had enough of this, so took it down to "IT Island"  at Fashion Island Mall here in Minburi. They have a ton of these " fix it" stores that these young Thai kids work at.....this one particular kid spoke perfect English. 

Told him what the problem was, he logged on to his fancy, dancy computer and looked up Thailand 247 for me right? I told him that this particular forum had just changed hosts/servers etc and could that be the problem? 

Ok cut to the chase here, he said something like "The HSTS vectors are now not compatible with Chrome firewall" or something like that. The went on to tell me a bunch of other things that might be wrong too. He said he will run a complete diagnostics on it and assured me that he will fix the problem, and come back in 30 minutes. 

Cool kid, asked me if I was married, showed him a pic of wifey on my phone and says to me "Oh, she's younger then you right"  Yeah I get that alot......LOL!  He also suggested to me that I go down to the first floor and go to the "Playboy" store and talk to the girls there as there are some real nice girls working there and they speak good English. Damn...he was right. 200 baht later wifey now has a "Playboy" T-shirt. The girls told me I am the "only" white guy to come in there in the last week??   OK...

Go back, he tells me to log on to Thailand 247 and..........bam!  Up and running again. I asked him "Tao Rai Krap"? Tells me 100 baht....I gave him 200 and told him I will be back if I ever need problems fixed for sure. 

There are certainly some good things here about Thailand.

My version is 10.10.5,early 2015,yes great info Mike,defo hsts network errors,,hmm,I'll have few plays about when I get time,failing that I'll do what you did,take it to one of the whizz kids in mall.👍

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Pingrones said:

... let us try...

Open up Command Prompt (simply type in CMD in the search field) - type in ipconfig /flushdns - hit "enter". If you need to refresh without logging out, simply type in gpupdate /force - hit "enter"- wait for confirmation, type "exit" to close Command Prompt.

Open browser - type in https://thailand-247.com/ - hit "enter" - could be worth trying in Ctrl+Shift+N to see if it works in Incognito mode...

That looks great, or at least technical and precise. Does that work for every possible glitch - just like switch off, unplug, wait 10 sec and restart. Or it's a more targetted fix?

3 minutes ago, Zambo said:

That looks great, or at least technical and precise. Does that work for every possible glitch - just like switch off, unplug, wait 10 sec and restart. Or it's a more targetted fix?

The command gpupdate /force is basically to avoid what you mention, the power down procedure, it basically does the same thing without the hassle.

If you switch the command to gpupdate /boot, the computer itself will figure out whether or not a reboot is necessary.

4 minutes ago, Pingrones said:

If you switch the command to gpupdate /boot, the computer itself will figure out whether or not a reboot is necessary.

I will avoid that step. My laptop can't be trusted with basic functions such as saving vital information and searching/finding stuff, I'm not going to let it start figuring things out. If i want it to reboot it will reboot despite the usual protests 

It's the browser, especially if using Chrome. You have to go up to the "url" bar. There may be a little lock or something. Then you have to click on that and find something that enables you to accept the particular site. Difficult as shit sometimes to figure out. 

VPN's can also be very useful when accessing various sites.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Zambo said:

I will avoid that step. My laptop can't be trusted with basic functions such as saving vital information and searching/finding stuff, I'm not going to let it start figuring things out. If i want it to reboot it will reboot despite the usual protests 

Ccleaner is a great app. that i use all the time both on my PC and phone. Clears a lot of shit off your computer. IMO it is a "must have". Also it is free, but there is a slight learning curve to it, especially the mobile app which throws a lot of ads at you. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/30/2022 at 8:00 AM, Britboy said:

Many thanks Dave. 

All sorted now. Thanks to JL and Tommy also. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1