Bicycle Insurance

Glasseye

I have never given this my thought until recently since I will soon be getting a bicycle and probably will be riding it a lot.

Of course there is motorbike insurance which is required by law, and IMO would be insanity not to have it. 

But, now I am thinking about getting some kind of policy for my bicycle. From what I am reading I don't have much confidence in a homeowners, rental policy covering things if you are involved in an accident and someone else is injured or property is damaged.

I know it sound kind of like overkill, but I would think the policies would be cheap and could protect bike riders from a lot of unexpected expenses. 

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/bicycle-insurance-guide/

I've been riding for decades and never once gave a thought to insurance, or heard anyone else I ride with discuss the need for insurance. Probably for the reason that accidents that happen on a bike rarely involve injury to someone else, and any property damage that might occur would be the responsibility of the doofus that pulled out in front of someone on a bike.

The greatest risk of liability would be hitting someone walking. But if you're a responsible rider, the chances of that happening approach nil.

A stronger case could be made for theft insurance, but then a homeowner's or rental policy would suffice. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, EllaHarper said:

It seems to me that as soon as you receive your bike, you should immediately insure it so that you do not worry about the safety of your bike.

Before, I also did not think about possible bicycle insurance and very vainly! Because recently I went on a long trip on my bike. During the trip, an unpleasant incident occurred, my brake cable broke and the spoke on the wheel broke. The repair of my bike cost me a lot. And right after this unpleasant incident, on the advice of my friend, I decided to turn to sundaysinsurance.co.uk. I have insured my bike and now I can travel safely. So, in my opinion, bike insurance is really a very important procedure.

3 minutes ago, EllaHarper said:

Before, I also did not think about possible bicycle insurance and very vainly! Because recently I went on a long trip on my bike. During the trip, an unpleasant incident occurred, my brake cable broke and the spoke on the wheel broke. The repair of my bike cost me a lot. And right after this unpleasant incident, on the advice of my friend, I decided to turn to sundaysinsurance.co.uk. I have insured my bike and now I can travel safely. So, in my opinion, bike insurance is really a very important procedure.

I appreciate this info.

I am finding it not so easy in Thailand.

13 minutes ago, EllaHarper said:

The bike repairs you described are normal wear and tear on a bike. Doubt very much an insurance policy will cover that. From Sunday's FAQ page.

image.png

https://sundaysinsurance.co.uk/faq

• Great Info 1