best way to take or exchange thai to uk pound

thunder367

friend is looking to send about 250000 thai baht to his uk bank account.he has looked into the exchange sites and that but the fees are way high for his liking.hes also asked me if id take it back to uk and put it in his account for him.is it best to exchange here into uk money or change it when i get to uk.when changed it work out at about £5000.

he looked into how much u can legally take out of thailand in and cash and it works out about £20000 so theres not a problem take it back to uk.as ive got cash left over from my trip before and never been stopped or asked about it.

37 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I would definitely look at sending it via Wise, with the rate so low, now is a good time methinks. 

I don't think Wise can send money in that direction.  Options I've heard used are direct from one's Thai bank account or using D Money app.

If you have friend(s) from the UK living here, ask them to buy the baht off you by transferring the equivalent GBP from their UK account to yours. I've done that on occasion for American friends as it saves me the transfer fee of moving money over. Win, win as they say.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

If you have friend(s) from the UK living here, ask them to buy the baht off you by transferring the equivalent GBP from their UK account to yours. I've done that on occasion for American friends as it saves me the transfer fee of moving money over. Win, win as they say.

exactly what I have done.  1K sterling.  we got the buy and sell rate, found the middle ground and weighed in.  i know I can use my card in the uk but this a better solution for me as I prefer cash

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

he has about 5000 in thai he wants me to take back to uk for him.im coming to end of my hols so ill be taking it back it worth changing here in uk money or change thai in uk when back in uk then put in his account after

12 minutes ago, thunder367 said:

he has about 5000 in thai he wants me to take back to uk for him.im coming to end of my hols so ill be taking it back it worth changing here in uk money or change thai in uk when back in uk then put in his account after

I'm sure he'll get a much better rate switching cash in Thailand, at one of the TT booths , get a receipt though , so you have a paper trail , just incase you were stopped 

12 hours ago, tommy dee said:

exactly what I have done.  1K sterling.  we got the buy and sell rate, found the middle ground and weighed in.  i know I can use my card in the uk but this a better solution for me as I prefer cash

When I've made the exchange for friends I just ask Mr. Google what to give them. Think Google search uses the mid-market (interbank) rate, so fair all around.

• Great Info 1

17 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I'm sure he'll get a much better rate switching cash in Thailand, at one of the TT booths , get a receipt though , so you have a paper trail , just incase you were stopped 

I'm going to try that myself before I fly back to UK for a short holiday so that I have emergency cash in hand for ...... emergencies...

My plan is to ask at the TT Booth next to Katesiree then get new notes from the Kasikorn ATM next to it ...

I know I can use my Thai cards in UK ATMs, plus I'll book National Express coaches on line but I just feel uncomfortable landing with no money in my pocket...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/16/2023 at 11:42 AM, thunder367 said:

friend is looking to send about 250000 thai baht to his uk bank account.he has looked into the exchange sites and that but the fees are way high for his liking

Has he tried asking the "Chinese" Exchange shop on Soi Rungland?

I have mentioned it on a couple of other threads, enter from Pattaya Tai end and it is on your left.. They change larger amounts of money at better rates...

• Great Info 1

11 hours ago, tommy dee said:

wise can transfer any amount from a thai bank account you register with them, to the UK bank.  I do it regularly now for work

just bought 700 squid today for thai baht. 40 baht was their price  per pound,   I am prepped 🙂

Is that a different method from a regular transfer, because as above, they claim not to be able to do transfers out of Thailand?

https://wise.com/help/articles/2571907/what-currencies-can-i-send-to-and-from

And from their help pages:

image.png

• Great Info 1