Big C (IPO)

Glasseye

On 1/19/2023 at 7:26 AM, lazarus said:

I'm sure you've heard the old adage:

"Don't invest anything in Thailand that you cannot afford to lose."

Yes indeed Sir. To complete "don't invest emotionally or financially more than you can afford to lose". Wealthy, lovestruck BMs be aware.

I have recently left behind the years of feeling, in fact being, indestructible both emotionally and financially. I have had the years where i could cross the road for an extra dollar an hour and sign 2 contracts in a week with no intention to see either to the end (likewise in love). But now i am more cautious, more aware of a fragility that wasn't there before - both emotionally and financially. "Devil-may-care" is slipping away to be replaced by a need for stability, longterm planning, gentle smiles across a dimly lit dining table.

invest in an IPO if you want, my money is safely under the mattress.

On 1/20/2023 at 6:53 AM, Zambo said:

Yes indeed Sir. To complete "don't invest emotionally or financially more than you can afford to lose". Wealthy, lovestruck BMs be aware.

I have recently left behind the years of feeling, in fact being, indestructible both emotionally and financially. I have had the years where i could cross the road for an extra dollar an hour and sign 2 contracts in a week with no intention to see either to the end (likewise in love). But now i am more cautious, more aware of a fragility that wasn't there before - both emotionally and financially. "Devil-may-care" is slipping away to be replaced by a need for stability, longterm planning, gentle smiles across a dimly lit dining table.

invest in an IPO if you want, my money is safely under the mattress.

Loves got nothing to do with it. And believe me I've taken my lumps.

Also, I don't think the company is Thai owned. And, I doubt I would even have the time to set things up for even a sliver of an investment.

8 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Also, I don't think the company is Thai owned

Big C (Thai: บิ๊กซี ซูเปอร์เซ็นเตอร์), is a grocery and general merchandising retailer headquartered in Bangkok, Thailand.[5] Big C is as of 2016 Thailand's second-largest hypermarket operator after Lotus's (formerly known as Tesco Lotus).[6] It has operations in four countries, namely Thailand, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

The company was founded by Central Group in 1993 and the first Big C opened on Chaengwattana Road in Bangkok in 1994, prior to the company becoming listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) in 1995. As of 2019 Big C operates 153 hypermarkets, 63 Big C markets, and 1,018 Mini Big C stores.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_C

. . .

Founded by Central Group in 1993, Big C was listed on the SET in 2012 and taken private in 2017 when it was acquired by Berli Jucker. The latter is among the companies controlled by billionaire Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi, who has a net worth of 6.5 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.

link:https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2485612/big-c-lining-up-banks-for-b30bn-ipo

. . .

Berli Jucker PCL
Berli Jucker PCL is a large Thai conglomerate whose business spans various industries. The Company's operations include the distribution and manufacturing of its own products plus contract distribution and manufacturing for other firms. BJC's core lines of business are packaging, consumer, healthcare, technical and other businesses.

https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/BJC/F:TB

Edited by lazarus

2 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Big C (Thai: บิ๊กซี ซูเปอร์เซ็นเตอร์), is a grocery and general merchandising retailer headquartered in Bangkok, Thailand.[5] Big C is as of 2016 Thailand's second-largest hypermarket operator after Lotus's (formerly known as Tesco Lotus).[6] It has operations in four countries, namely Thailand, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

The company was founded by Central Group in 1993 and the first Big C opened on Chaengwattana Road in Bangkok in 1994, prior to the company becoming listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) in 1995. As of 2019 Big C operates 153 hypermarkets, 63 Big C markets, and 1,018 Mini Big C stores.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_C

Thank you for covering for my laziness. It was Tesco that I recall buying it back some time ago. I believe Brit or French owned.