Where I won't be, on 1st July............

Painter

7 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I suppose being older, my experiences have been gained from working in the Far East, traveling extensively with wingmen and using books such as Lonely Planet, Fodors, EyeWitness etc. Today, these Youtubers are preaching to a lot of guys who have never been to the far East and I see there is a need for them but they are not for me.

This is it exactly!

I left home at 17 in '73. Travelling was an adventure into the unknown. I f***d up multiple times travelling by myself but with each mistake I learned something new... Still do, even though I am 66 years old!

I just don't see the point in travelling for fun when you have seen everything in advance, but that is today's world of technology for you.

I guess I'm  just a miserable old fucker !!

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

This is it exactly!

I left home at 17 in '73. Travelling was an adventure into the unknown. I f***d up multiple times travelling by myself but with each mistake I learned something new... Still do, even though I am 66 years old!

I just don't see the point in travelling for fun when you have seen everything in advance, but that is today's world of technology for you.

I look at it as one more thing to throw into the pot of information. But always take with a grain of salt.

The images also are distorted on camera. Angles, lighting, etc. can give an odd impression. 

I have seen many youtube videos walking down a stretch I have been many times. I find myself thinking it doesn't look anything like what I have seen personally. Often the camera can be deceiving.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Well i'm guessing that you have had FAR more fun, excitement and experiences than the 'sheep' that follow these Youtube posters.

I believe it's much better to not know what is around the next corner or through that dark lit doorway, much of the excitement is finding out for yourself !!!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

35 minutes ago, SteveBC said:

Well i'm guessing that you have had FAR more fun, excitement and experiences than the 'sheep' that follow these Youtube posters.

I believe it's much better to not know what is around the next corner or through that dark lit doorway, much of the excitement is finding out for yourself !!!!

All you have to do is read the comments on the YT channel to realize what a bunch of losers the sheep are.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

9 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I suppose being older, my experiences have been gained from working in the Far East, traveling extensively with wingmen and using books such as Lonely Planet, Fodors, EyeWitness etc. Today, these Youtubers are preaching to a lot of guys who have never been to the far East and I see there is a need for them but they are not for me.

My first trip in 2008 was booked on about a week’s notice. First time time out of North America for me. As much fun as I had, oh boy did I, there was much info I wished I had looked up before leaving, OR which would have been easily available in today’s smartphone era. But then again, travelling to a foreign land is all about experiences, good or bad, I guess it’s part of the fun. 

When I was close to returning, I enjoy the food market vlogs, always appreciate learning where the “good stuff” can be found in whatever area I’d plan to visit. Other than that, discussing BF/ST prices is redundant, you only get the true picture IMO when you’re physically there & about to make a transaction with that special someone. Yes we all know it’s not gotten cheaper, I can accept that……

My biggest mistakes that seem crazy to have been made now that it’s been 14 years: 

Easily losing 7%+ purchasing 25,000 baht at a Calgary Forex place before leaving. Wanted some spending cash for as soon as I arrived, had no idea how easy it was to exchange $. Ridiculous but a rookie error

Not purchasing a local phone. Canadian mobile companies don’t like competition, and my contract phone COULD NOT be unlocked- a kind lad on 2nd Road tried for half-hour & apologized. Still should have bought a local unit+SIM for my 3 weeks…..the number of simply casual “hellos” with willing ladies that should have turned into some enjoyable time……never happened because how can you contact each other???? Oh but don’t worry…..all those alerts about the airport sit-in and possible closures….yup my phone received those! Big consolation 

I think one thing that all this ease of finding travel info on YT, Google, etc……is the newbie backpacker has TOO MUCH INFO before even boarding the flight. They will expect to get everything for a certain price and might be in for a shock when they see prices can rise, and certain services like transport CAN be controlled by Mafia, etc…..better to walk away, or just pay what’s asked when it comes to your safety

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Yessongs said:

I might be there in a few weeks....good to hear your perspective. 

Well done..as a veteran of the scene, good to hear the truth from someone like yourself. 

You Sir are welcome.

There's still fun to be had, but you get far, far better info from the guys like @Horizondave @Stillearly and @Phantom51red in their recent reports than these YT

It was a small ray of hope durning lockdown to see signs of life in LOS on some vlogs and that the thought that normaility would return

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

You Sir are welcome.

There's still fun to be had, but you get far, far better info from the guys like @Horizondave @Stillearly and @Phantom51red in their recent reports than these YT

It was a small ray of hope durning lockdown to see signs of life in LOS on some vlogs and that the thought that normaility would return

Yeah thanks alot, read all of those and good to hear specifically about Pattaya.....

18 hours ago, Trip said:

That one peaked my curiosity also. I checked and it has a whopping 342 Subscribers; Pattaya Influencer and celebrity indeed.

Reminds me of when I see an Instagram profile that’s under, let’s say, 10,000 followers, and their description says 

PUBLIC FIGURE

I am sorry to say, when Ronaldo has half a billion,  and you have 6,234…….you’re no public figure…..WTF are these people trying to prove ?

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Golfingboy said:

Reminds me of when I see an Instagram profile that’s under, let’s say, 10,000 followers, and their description says 

PUBLIC FIGURE

I am sorry to say, when Ronaldo has half a billion,  and you have 6,234…….you’re no public figure…..WTF are these people trying to prove ?

The word that got me wound up in the original linked article was "Influencers" .... Oh my Buddha !!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

PUBLIC FIGURE

Yeah, the vast majority are like that. It reminds me of people that list Facebook profiles as CEO of XYZ and it turns out they are self-employed.

There may be good YTbers in Pattaya but those I have sampled on YT remind me of Stickman in the sense that Thailand didn't exist until he found it. I just laugh when I watch some of them rave about Pad Thai, Khao Soi, Masaman, etc., as if they are sharing these hidden secrets of Thailand with the world ... what a bunch of self-absorbed dumbasses.

My favorite to date is a guy who focuses on northern Thailand and notes that Chiang Mai is named after the national animal of Thailand. Yes, he is that stupid. He thinks Chiang is a derivative of Chang. A minute search on google would have shown him that Chiang Mai is a derivative of a Chinese phrase and just means new city.

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Trip said:

There may be good YTbers in Pattaya but those I have sampled on YT remind me of Stickman in the sense that Thailand didn't exist until he found it.

Excellent statement!

Wherever I have been in the world I was always conscious of the fact that I wasn't the first "White man" that has been there. I might have been the first they had seen, but I wasn't the first to go there.

Humility and self awareness are probably the two most important factors missing with Pattaya YTers..

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

At the moment the only one I like is PJoe. Simple, straight forward, uptodate, no bullshit Aussie..

Ride-4-kicks is pretty good....Retire cheap Thailand I like too......

These are the 2 I like most..

1 hour ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Retired working for you and that Irish kid Patty and Ride 4 kicks

I've watched a couple of Rides-4-Kicks. He seems an ok guy but I get the feeling from his voice that he was a used car salesman in a previous life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I like the recent one with the 2 snakes !!!

Caught that one. He sure doesn't know much about snakes. That might be a good thing in that he called out the Snake Squad to nab his rat snakes.

• Great Info 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Chocolateman seemed to be the only one livestreaming but the bird with the squeaky voice, long fingernails and tattoos put me off after 5 seconds...

I think that one is Fah, Chocolate's squeeze. The darkman has paid for some enhancements above and beyond the tatts,such as boobies, dentistry, etc. But yeah, maybe he can look into something so she doesn't talk.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Trip said:

I think that one is Fah, Chocolate's squeeze. The darkman has paid for some enhancements above and beyond the tatts,such as boobies, dentistry, etc. But yeah, maybe he can look into something so she doesn't talk.

Yes mate, upto him. I have no interest in their private lives I just wanted to give Phil a thumbs up if he was live but I couldn't stay any longer listenning to her...