For Americans - Problems with 2022 FBAR Filing

ChiFlyer

I have been doing FBAR Filings for 5 years now and never had a problem. It was indeed pretty much like falling off of a log.

This year, doing the online method, my drop boxes were coming up empty. I filed a ticket with the BSA-Filing Help Desk and got a response within 24 hours that actually was helpful. Will wonders never cease?

Anyway, in italics below is their response with my snarky comments being in BOLD.

For the online form please if you are having problems with dropdown selection it is more than likely your previous location selection, our forms update the drop down based previous selections. Please make sure you are clicking enter after inputting previous selections in order for form to refresh/update. BS

For PDF 
You are receiving that error because the PDF is attempting to open in browser instead. Please see below 

Once the file is downloaded to your computer:

1. Open up the file location (most likely your downloads folder) OR when downloading the file, select "view in folder/open in folder".
2. Once downloaded, Right-click the file
3. Open with, and select Adobe Acrobat DC

You should now be able to prepare the file from your desktop, rather than the browser. True statement. This worked.
Edited by ChiFlyer

From your post it sounds like you're using the File PDF FBAR rather than File Online FBAR.
image.png

I just completed mine using File Online FBAR and it worked just fine. The UI is not the best design, but it gets the job done. Took me about five minutes to complete, helped somewhat I had my previous year's saved PDF copy open so filled it out SALY (accountant slang: Same As Last Year) with only the amounts changing.

Is there a reason you decided to go with the downloaded PDF form rather than complete it online?

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

^^^^ I am not looking forward to dealing with this shit. The spike in my b.p. goes through the fucking roof !

Doing the online FBAR is easy enough. It's doing taxes every year that that sucks up too much of the little time I have left in this dimension.

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Doing the online FBAR is easy enough. It's doing taxes every year that that sucks up too much of the little time I have left in this dimension.

yes.... that is what I am talking about. I think when/if I make it to 75 I may just quit doing them. Let the fuckers come find me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

From your post it sounds like you're using the File PDF FBAR rather than File Online FBAR.
image.png

I just completed mine using File Online FBAR and it worked just fine. The UI is not the best design, but it gets the job done. Took me about five minutes to complete, helped somewhat I had my previous year's saved PDF copy open so filled it out SALY (accountant slang: Same As Last Year) with only the amounts changing.

Is there a reason you decided to go with the downloaded PDF form rather than complete it online?

I have been using the "File PDF FBAR" for years without incident. This year it stopped working for me and I switched to the "File Online FBAR" method.

For the longest time, many years I don't recall hearing ex-pats talk about the FBAR......( I could have just not noticed) Maybe?

Then about 2015 16-17-18 ? I started to be aware of the FBAR...

So did no one give a rat's ass about the FBAR before or was it just me not paying attention?

6 minutes ago, fforest said:

For the longest time, many years I don't recall hearing ex-pats talk about the FBAR......( I could have just not noticed) Maybe?

Then about 2015 16-17-18 ? I started to be aware of the FBAR...

So did no one give a rat's ass about the FBAR before or was it just me not paying attention?

The FBAR reporting requirement came about from the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act passed in 2010 and became law in 2014.

FATCA – Everything Expats Need To Know

• Thumbs Up 1