How do you activate your account.. ?

Before you can login, you must active your account by clicking on the link sent to your email address.

If you did not receive this email, please check your junk/spam folder. If you entered an incorrect email address, you will need to re-register with the correct email address.

If you are waiting to activate your account you can resent the activation e-mail or change your e-mail address.

Sign in to follow this  
Rompho Ray

What all do you use your smartphone for?

A comment on another thread got me a-thinkin':  What do you mostly use your smartphone for, and for how long per day?

Personally, I use mine as almost like a tiny laptop.  The majority of what I do with it is direct 2-way communication, such as email, Line, FB messenger, Skype etc., as well as text messages.  Web browser is used almost exclusively to either look at the weather forecast, or google some information, virtually no "browsing".  I also have it set up to be able to do some network troubleshooting (being a computer guy and all).  A little internet banking, and some office utility stuff such as scan-to-fax and page-to-PDF scanning.  Rarely as a calculator.

Oh, and I make the occasional call.

The above constitutes about 99% of what I do with my smartphone. 

My old smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S4) had a pretty shitty camera on it, so I never got used to using a phone as a camera.  This new phone (Galaxy S9) has a MUCH better phone on it, but at the moment my life is a crashing bore, and aside from beer and my clapped-out old truck I haven't had much to take pictures of.  That will most likely change soon.

Similarly, my old phone wasn't much good as a music player, but the new one is far more talented for that.  So, I do use it to listen to music occasionally, especially through a new set of Bluetooth headphones I bought recently.

I also have it set up with some utilities that make it easy to move files onto and off the phone.  It politely connects to my home network and can store and retrieve files from my computer and my NAS, as well as playing media from there.  I also have it set up to be able to host media to a home entertainment system and play media from my NAS through to my TV, although these aren't things I use it for much.

About usage, I use it so little that it will often last 3 days on a charge.  No movies, no games, very little chatter or video calls. 

OK, howzabout you?  What do you mostly use your smartphone for?

I use my phone mainly for calls, occasionally to look at this forum or to answer LINE from the babes..

I do have email and access to the web but too be honest I see it as a back up to my lap top. I tend to use my phone only in emergencies for anything other than calling when I might need to book a hotel or flight etc.

My eyesight these days requires glasses to see anything small and I really don't feel comfortable (even with glasses) for staring at my phone for too long. Answering calls easy and quick, booking a hotel, a flight etc sees me using the lap top.

I don't play games on my phone either.

12 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

I use mine to talk to other people with.

Actually I use it for text message too, handy when doing my banking online from my PC.

@Horizondave pretty much same as me then.

15 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

...online shopping, facebook...

I find the small screen annoying for these things.  Also, the differences between Windows and Android concerning how these things behave are very annoying to me, maybe because I don't use them often enough to get used to them.

14 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

I use mine to talk to other people with.

Well, here's how you can save money on your next smartphone purchase.

iretrophone.jpg.df13cd542091ff90c18ba8fb2ddb1fbe.jpg

4 minutes ago, Al McReady said:

I use it as a calculator, alarm clock, to watch videos, to listen to music, to go online.

Yep, forgot the alarm and reminder functions, I make fairly frequent use of those.

4 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

Actually I use it for text message too, handy when doing my banking online from my PC.

Funny, the banking apps I've used are so convenient that it's almost worth just using them rather than the laptop.  They're among the best apps I've used.

2 minutes ago, Rompho Ray said:

Funny, the banking apps I've used are so convenient that it's almost worth just using them rather than the laptop.  They're among the best apps I've used.

Sorry, I dont trust apps in the slightest.

I also use my phone as a hotspot to provide internet to my laptop when away from my PC if I need to access emails or facebook.

Edited by Sir_Fondles

Just now, Sir_Fondles said:

Sorry, I dont trust apps in the slightest.

Mostly I don't either, but before going with a banking app I did some research.  Turns out that the banking apps are at least as secure as computer programs and web pages; much more secure than most smartphone apps.  Upon reflection I didn't actually find that terribly surprising.

Just now, Rompho Ray said:

Mostly I don't either, but before going with a banking app I did some research.  Turns out that the banking apps are at least as secure as computer programs and web pages; much more secure than most smartphone apps.  Upon reflection I didn't actually find that terribly surprising.

Anything that involves my money is only done on my PC, no smartphone app or laptop is used.

Use it for pretty much everything IT related, I’ve not used my desktop at home for about 1 year.Personal Laptop gets used only for file transfers and storing movies and large files. All work stuff done on company laptop. 

Hardly ever use the phone to make ‘normal’ calls, all done through FB messenger, WhatsApp etc. Video call the family every day on Messenger when at work and it’s free, amazing when you consider how we had to do long distance communication not so many years ago. 

22 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

Anything that involves my money is only done on my PC, no smartphone app or laptop is used.

Certainly a very safe approach.  IMO, the weak link in either is if you were to do internet banking over wifi, and that includes in your home.  If you use mobile data that should be very secure due to the infrastructure and protocols involved.  At home I always use a wired connection to my lapper.

3 minutes ago, Rompho Ray said:

Certainly a very safe approach.  IMO, the weak link in either is if you were to do internet banking over wifi, and that includes in your home.  If you use mobile data that should be very secure due to the infrastructure and protocols involved.  At home I always use a wired connection to my lapper.

wired connection only.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Use it for pretty much everything IT related, I’ve not used my desktop at home for about 1 year.

I just can't get along with Android as well as I can with Windows.  Probably just because I'm more used to Windows.

6 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Personal Laptop gets used only for file transfers and storing movies and large files.

Why not just go for network-attached storage on your home network?  Not sure about iOS, but Android gets along quite well with NAS.  BTW, the new phones support some feckin huge SD cards.

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Video call the family every day on Messenger when at work and it’s free, amazing when you consider how we had to do long distance communication not so many years ago. 

Definitely one of the most amazing things about the internet age.  10 years ago, wildly expensive phone calls for a few minutes; today, free crystal clear video calls from the bar.  Unbelievable.

Mostly internet and social media, although social media is something I use less and less nowadays. 

Use Line on a very regular bases, great to be able to have video calls with loved ones when away from home.

4 minutes ago, Rompho Ray said:

Why not just go for network-attached storage on your home network?  Not sure about iOS, but Android gets along quite well with NAS.  BTW, the new phones support some feckin huge SD 

Main use is downloading movies or TV series to put on a portable hard drive that I plug into my TV at work. Never really had the need to set up a home network. 

4 minutes ago, Murchie said:

Mostly internet and social media, although social media is something I use less and less nowadays. 

I've noticed.  😉

4 minutes ago, Murchie said:

Use Line on a very regular bases, great to be able to have video calls with loved ones when away from home.

Excellent service, every bit as good as FB for video calls.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Main use is downloading movies or TV series to put on a portable hard drive that I plug into my TV at work. Never really had the need to set up a home network. 

Well, you can buy wifi routers that have USB ports on them (which is what I have).  You could plug your portable HD into that, d/l using your phone, then copy to the HD.  No need for the lapper.

Your setup works well for you, no need to change if you're happy of course.  Mostly just an idea if your laptop isn't available.  🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Chokdeekap said:

I hardly make any phone calls to be honest .

That's shaping up to be the consensus.  Funny, we seem to mostly use the phone to call people who aren't current with internet technology, almost like calling back through time in a way.

1 minute ago, Rompho Ray said:

That's shaping up to be the consensus.  Funny, we seem to mostly use the phone to call people who aren't current with internet technology, almost like calling back through time in a way.

I just use one of the free messenger apps if arranging a night out with multiple people .....

9 minutes ago, Chokdeekap said:

I just use one of the free messenger apps if arranging a night out with multiple people .....

you dont use those free apps to talk via ?

11 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

you dont use those free apps to talk via ?

Nope just use the message service, I always find the lines bad ,and I am hard of hearing ....

Sign in to follow this