Thai influencers and YouTubers targeted by Revenue Department

Bazle

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-influencers-and-youtubers-targeted-by-revenue-department?fbclid=IwAR1BYWguC1rKDFm4ZJo7pn-WguTHgPvW3_gZkfuzSe2YltcEK8uVvF9P1Vc

The Thai Revenue Department aims to boost its tax revenue by targeting Thai YouTubers, online influencers, and online vendors. It believes that those who earn a livelihood online should pay their due taxes and predicts a yearly intake of 2.2 trillion baht as a result.

The Director of the Revenue Department, Lawaron Saengsanit, acknowledged the shortcomings of the current tax system in regard to online and social media-based careers. He stated that the department is taking steps to modernize the tax system to better accommodate the evolving nature of business in the digital age.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

I earn from yt, daily with the news.. and have always paid income tax on the money they pay., so see this as fair for sure.  the WP issue will be interesting

but a lot of the YT vlog guys dont make a red cent.  despite their work,  if they dont hit the numbers they do it for free

• Great Info 1

2 hours ago, tommy dee said:

but a lot of the YT vlog guys dont make a red cent.  despite their work,  if they dont hit the numbers they do it for free

Direct payment from YT yes, but what about paypal donations to the channel.... and of course those pathetic "live" channels that receive payment for "Ladydrinks" in return for some fat slag blowing kisses whilst gently shifting her weight from one foot to t'other ...

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, tommy dee said:

I earn from yt, daily with the news.. and have always paid income tax on the money they pay., so see this as fair for sure.  the WP issue will be interesting

I believe even volunteering to help in certain situations can get you in trouble. If I remember rightly, there were even issues with volunteers helping out during the 2004 tsunami clean up. It may have got sorted later but even volunteering in an unpaid job can run foul of the authorities. So even not getting a cent won't wash with the authorities if they see it as a vocational career.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I believe even volunteering to help in certain situations can get you in trouble. If I remember rightly, there were even issues with volunteers helping out during the 2004 tsunami clean up. It may have got sorted later but even volunteering in an unpaid job can run foul of the authorities. So even not getting a cent won't wash with the authorities if they see it as a vocational career.

I remember similarly. I often wonder about the status of falangs who like to provide music in bars - whether paid or not. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tommy dee said:

There are too many of them who all show the same crap. Just video a repeat of what some other guy did 3 days before. You can only watch LK Metro or the same loop around Tree Town so many times before boredom sets in.

Who leads such a boring life that they feel the need to pay a Patreon membership to watch girls play pool at a bar thousands of miles away while they sit at home on the sofa eating a bologna sandwich?

At least in your case, you're bringing news and info that people may find interesting. A guy with a Go Pro riding around Soi Buokow checking out "whats new" in Pattaya only to see that it's all the same, gets boring. But that same guy on a bike crashing into a noodle cart on the street, causing damage and injury, then By Gawd, that's news and you get to tell us all about it in those dulcet tones of yours.

There's a difference!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Bazle said:

I remember similarly. I often wonder about the status of falangs who like to provide music in bars - whether paid or not. 

I remember a few years ago a police raid on Piss Stop Bar and the American guy and Scottish lady providing the sing song being taken away and charged.  Not sure how it all ended up though as I saw him around Buakhao afterwards.

• 7 months later...

I think Youtube have de-monetised Pattaya nightlife videos as well, plus any that have music playing in the background will get a copyright claim and no revenue will be earned from it.

That's why one or two use YT as a conduit to promote the businesses. Stuff like Memberships, patreon, merchandise probably bring in a bit, along with advertising from the bars (some pay the vloggers for favourable reviews apparently). The same bars who pay for the "crawls" to pass by their place and bring in some custom.

However, promoting your own Treetown / Chaiyapoon / Soi 7 venues and also crawls / days out / deals to be had may well bring in a decent income stream.

I know a couple of vloggers here in the UK, one has 20k subscribers and features gaming content mostly. It's a hobby for him, which is fortunate because it pays him next to nothing.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Butch said:

I think Youtube have de-monetised Pattaya nightlife videos as well, plus any that have music playing in the background will get a copyright claim and no revenue will be earned from it.

That's why one or two use YT as a conduit to promote the businesses. Stuff like Memberships, patreon, merchandise probably bring in a bit, along with advertising from the bars (some pay the vloggers for favourable reviews apparently). The same bars who pay for the "crawls" to pass by their place and bring in some custom.

However, promoting your own Treetown / Chaiyapoon / Soi 7 venues and also crawls / days out / deals to be had may well bring in a decent income stream.

I know a couple of vloggers here in the UK, one has 20k subscribers and features gaming content mostly. It's a hobby for him, which is fortunate because it pays him next to nothing.

Most of them don't earn much at all from the vids and for those that do, it's easy to see how much and the effort to try to tax them just wouldn't be worth the effort methinks.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Most of them don't earn much at all from the vids and for those that do, it's easy to see how much and the effort to try to tax them just wouldn't be worth the effort methinks.

It must be worth their while , especially the live vlogging , where they get members / viewers to send in cash , via super chats or direct to PayPal accounts to cut out YouTube , why else would they do it ... I could sort of understand it during the shutdown, but post pandemic they are still churning out the live shows 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

It must be worth their while , especially the live vlogging , where they get members / viewers to send in cash , via super chats or direct to PayPal accounts to cut out YouTube , why else would they do it ... I could sort of understand it during the shutdown, but post pandemic they are still churning out the live shows 🤷‍♂️

Yes, direct payments is a different ball game, but that is not recorded by YT. 

• Like 1

once vlogging becomes a taxable income, its also deemd to be a job.

once its a job it needs a work permit

will that be applied across the board?  no!  but

it will be an excellent tool for those wh want to put paid to those who run sexy youtubes behind paywalls.  and one way for authoritires to clear them out if wanted

• Thumbs Up 1