The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

4 hours ago, coxyhog said:

After over 2 hours in Watford A & E I gave up & went to Hemel Urgent Care Unit.Got a fractured radial but it should heal on it's own.

Much less pain now it's in a sling.

The doc was a nice Polish woman & we had a good laugh.She said take pain killers as reqd & when I said how about red wine she said that she uses vodka.

Gotta love the Eastern European’s, they know the simple solutions to life’s issues.

😀

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/19/2023 at 8:54 PM, coxyhog said:

After over 2 hours in Watford A & E I gave up & went to Hemel Urgent Care Unit.Got a fractured radial but it should heal on it's own.

Much less pain now it's in a sling.

The doc was a nice Polish woman & we had a good laugh.She said take pain killers as reqd & when I said how about red wine she said that she uses vodka.

How did you fall? Just curious. Man, the elbow is incredibly sensitive to say the least. Glad you're on the mend. 

9 hours ago, Yessongs said:

How did you fall? Just curious. Man, the elbow is incredibly sensitive to say the least. Glad you're on the mend. 

Wifey had a suitcase on the floor,packing for her now aborted trip to thailand,I tripped over it.

In case anyone thinks I'm stopping her from going I have to go to look after my 93yo mother on a regular basis and at present I can't drive.Wifey is fine with it.

In my life I've broken 8 bones in 4 different accidents & all but one of them have been in my right hand/arm.

& I'm right handed.

Very inconvenient.

• Sad 3
  • Surprised 1

9 hours ago, galenkia said:

Best result so far. Doctor upped the dose to 10mg a day last week and seems to be working well.

D94844F1-4A8B-48B2-809F-D9AA0D8A7DCB.jpeg

Mine's usually just slightly more than that. 

I'm on 10mg as well. 

Cracking stuff Gal, high BP can impact so much in your health ...

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Getting proper addicted to my fitness app on my iPhone since I started using it a few weeks ago.

At least it’s a healthy addiction this time. 😀

Hit 21,746 steps yesterday, highest so far.

I'm amazed at how easy it is to rack up thousands of steps... I'm regularly at 17k plus at the moment, and seem to have gone nowhere. It's a great way of trying to outdo the previous day 🙂

• Thumbs Up 2

48 minutes ago, Painter said:

I'm amazed at how easy it is to rack up thousands of steps... I'm regularly at 17k plus at the moment, and seem to have gone nowhere. It's a great way of trying to outdo the previous day 🙂

It definitely gives you motivation to get active. I set a base target and try to keep beating it.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, galenkia said:

It definitely gives you motivation to get active. I set a base target and try to keep beating it.

My steps have gone down recently, i used to aim for 10,000. If i wasn't at the target I did a few laps of the living room, with a diversion down to the bedroom if the laps were getting a bit boring. I did try the balcony, but it's narrow so i had to walk forwards then backwards rather than laps until i noticed my watch was subtracting during the backwards part.

• Like 1

Well I have done no more steps than it takes to go downstairs and upstairs plus a trip to the bins outside. As I am on my own I decided that I will just binge watch TV, eat, drink and enjoy my solo time. 

Tomorrow though, I expect to walk over 12000 steps when I walk the ridge above my house. That will be the pattern going forward.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

With the prevalence of GPS's, why do people still use steps to measure their activity? Since a person's stride varies I would think distance would be a more meaningful comparison.

I prefer the treadmill. Set the speed and incline to get the heart rate up to where I want it then crank out the minutes.

PS. On the treadmill the GPS says I'm going nowhere but the mill does give me distance.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

With the prevalence of GPS's, why do people still use steps to measure their activity? Since a person's stride varies I would think distance would be a more meaningful comparison.

Is it because the watch is not always on GPS unless you select an activity? But steps monitors movement even to the photocopier and back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

A lot of the pedometer apps are pretty accurate as they measure your body tilt rather than your step. I have an app that I have input weight, height etc and the app works out your steps by your arm swing and body tilt.

They will offer a view that they could be out by 5-10% which can be a lot out on a long walk but, for me, it is a psychological addition to keeping fit. At the end of the day getting out walking is the key to fitness and not how many steps. Of course the mileage walked and the calories used will be a pretty good yardstick to keeping fit over time.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, fygjam said:

I prefer the treadmill. Set the speed and incline to get the heart rate up to where I want it then crank out the minutes.

PS. On the treadmill the GPS says I'm going nowhere but the mill does give me distance.

Just like a hamster in a cage - going around and around but not going anywhere, 555 - some of us prefer the outdoor experience with its varied sights, sounds and smells - well, maybe not the second item if you have metal music pounding through your earbuds like one of our members admits too....

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Just like a hamster in a cage - going around and around but not going anywhere, 555 - some of us prefer the outdoor experience with its varied sights, sounds and smells - well, maybe not the second item if you have metal music pounding through your earbuds like one of our members admits too....

7 hours ago, Zeb said:

I prefer walking outdoors, people watching etc.

I used to exercise outdoors but I live in a rural area. We have roads but no footpaths and as areas further out developed so the traffic got heavier. And for some reason there's a certain percentage of the population who like to drive at 100 kmh as close as possible to someone on the side of the road. The treadmill was the safer option. It also has its advantages;

• if the temperature is 45°C just turn on a fan.
  • if it's 5°C just turn on a heater.
  • if it's pissing with rain you stay dry.
  • you're only 5 seconds away from a toilet.
  • you're only 10 seconds away from the shower.
  • you're only 20 seconds away from the refrigerator.
  • and best of all, I control the hills. I should update the treadmill and get one where you can decline it as well. Then it would be downhill all the way for me.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yessongs said:

Both of these guys are totally cool....real class acts you know. They are both incredibly strong. They both told me if anyone fucks with me or my wife, let them know, they will take care of it. These guys are nice, but you can just tell, if anyone fucks with them, it is not going to end well for who ever that might be.

The shorter guy looks like he could pick up a bus.

When I lived in Thailand I got to know a lot of local people. That is one of the things I miss. Not the same here in the US these days. I know my neighbors, but that's about it.

Glad you're enjoying it. You & your Mrs. have a good life on both sides of the Pacific. 

Once the rains start the bad air will clear up. More humid though... 😂

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lazarus said:

When I lived in Thailand I got to know a lot of local people. That is one of the things I miss. Not the same here in the US these days. I know my neighbors, but that's about it.

Spot on about living here. The US neighborhood I lived in for about 10 years before moving to Thailand I only knew my neighbors as someone I would wave to as I or they were coming or going. The neighborhood here often times we stop to have a chat. Some of that has to do with I'm now retired and not always on the go, but generally speaking I think the Thai people are more outgoing and friendlier.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Spot on about living here. The US neighborhood I lived in for about 10 years before moving to Thailand I only knew my neighbors as someone I would wave to as I or they were coming or going. The neighborhood here often times we stop to have a chat. Some of that has to do with I'm now retired and not always on the go, but generally speaking I think the Thai people are more outgoing and friendlier.

Yes, we usually don't have enough time to get seeing all my wife's ex work mates/friends when in Bangkok. Invited to so many of their houses or out for a meal, all sorts of presents and money got for our daughter.

Lovely people, and i'm not even talking about my Wife's family, they're on a whole different level of 'niceness' :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

We are really lucky with where we live in the UK,not only is it a nice place but our neighbours are very good.

When we moved in 15 years ago our mantlepiece was full of welcoming cards,one neighbour came round with some flowers and another had baked us a cake.One of our next door neighbours jokingly said "I hope you don't mind some noise we've got children"....to which I replied "That's OK,I've got a Harley Davidson".

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 3