The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

21 hours ago, lazarus said:

The shorter guy looks like he could pick up a bus.

When I lived in Thailand I got to know a lot of local people. That is one of the things I miss. Not the same here in the US these days. I know my neighbors, but that's about it.

Glad you're enjoying it. You & your Mrs. have a good life on both sides of the Pacific. 

Once the rains start the bad air will clear up. More humid though... 😂

20 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Spot on about living here. The US neighborhood I lived in for about 10 years before moving to Thailand I only knew my neighbors as someone I would wave to as I or they were coming or going. The neighborhood here often times we stop to have a chat. Some of that has to do with I'm now retired and not always on the go, but generally speaking I think the Thai people are more outgoing and friendlier.

Yeah fully agree, about 95% of the people that I see at the gym over the last 5 months are real nice to me. Alot of them have come up to me and have said things like" Do you like it here in Thailand"?  " Can you tell me about job opportunities in USA, I would like to work there for several years if possible"?  The girls who are mostly in their 20's early 30's want to know " Is Las Vegas a fun place to go, I want to go there and go to some of the nightclubs"  I will say, there are some absolute stunners here that work out. All good...of course, there are  a few that give you the look of "Don't even think about talking to me" look. Luckily in my case, they are few and far between. 

Back home in Calif, the neighbor to my left is totally cool, he works at Cisco Systems and we talk " tech" and he is an avid cyclist. The guy on the right, is a complete social outcast. Bought the house about 10 years ago, never said a word to me over all that time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Weighed myself when I arrived home after two months of drunken  debauchery , gluttony and sloth  .... somehow managed to lose 3lbs 🤷‍♂️

Trying to be much healthier now I'm home - gym , swimming, Pilates ,  walking and cycling 

but my knee has been given me pain over the last couple of weeks ... it's okay once I get going , but initially standing after sitting for a period is painful as is using stairs  .. the relief I've been getting from the counter pain gel has only been temporary 

I realise losing weight will help a lot , so more motivation to shift the pounds 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Done just under 13,000 steps so far today, or 6.4 miles.

Weather looks better so will be out adding more miles.

Nice one mate, weather has been shitty here today, so only done a short walk.

Sun is out now, so I may take another stroll.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, boydeste said:

Nice one mate, weather has been shitty here today, so only done a short walk.

Sun is out now, so I may take another stroll.

Easter weekend is supposed to be nice here. So will be out alot. Going to see my sister later, trying to spend as much time as I can with her before she gets really sick. At the moment she’s okay to do things. She has been diagnosed to not make it to the end of the year.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 6

5 hours ago, galenkia said:

Easter weekend is supposed to be nice here. So will be out alot. Going to see my sister later, trying to spend as much time as I can with her before she gets really sick. At the moment she’s okay to do things. She has been diagnosed to not make it to the end of the year.

Very sad mate. Make hay while the sun shines. Every day is valuable. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, galenkia said:

Went to visit a mate this week , he hasn't got much time left , in a lot of pain and difficulty breathing, I was shocked when I saw him ...he has been having treatment for the past five years , but now it's about pain management .... cancer is a c**t 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

On 4/6/2023 at 9:50 AM, galenkia said:

Done just under 13,000 steps so far today, or 6.4 miles.

Weather looks better so will be out adding more miles.

I plan to get back into walking more this summer but right now there is so much ice everywhere that it's tough just walking around my yard....

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Went to visit a mate this week , he hasn't got much time left , in a lot of pain and difficulty breathing, I was shocked when I saw him ...he has been having treatment for the past five years , but now it's about pain management .... cancer is a c**t 

Jan was diagnosed terminal in February. It’s her 57th birthday tomorrow so I’m taking her out for the day. No expense spared.

She is the most amazing person I know, spent her life working as a nurse for the NHS, most recently as an ICU nurse at West Middlesex Hospital.

We have been through so much trauma together, especially when her daughter, my niece, Jenny was killed in a car accident. She was only 18 years old.

Can’t believe how brave she has been in dealing with this, still cares more about others than herself.

Gonna be fucking hard as she nears the end. She is the only family I have left.

• Sad 10

On 4/8/2023 at 3:49 AM, galenkia said:

Jan was diagnosed terminal in February. It’s her 57th birthday tomorrow so I’m taking her out for the day. No expense spared...etc.

She's lucky to have someone like you around to care for her heart and soul even while her body is soon beyond care.  Good on ya mate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I had a nightmare 2 nights ago. I woke up after a vivid dream and was fighting for my life (kicking out). Even half awake i continued until finally i forced myself to relax. Follows a couple of episodes last year. Wonder if this is stress related (even though i have low stress feelings). Or just onset of madness.

Just now, Zambo said:

I had a nightmare 2 nights ago. I woke up after a vivid dream and was fighting for my life (kicking out). Even half awake i continued until finally i forced myself to relax. Follows a couple of episodes last year. Wonder if this is stress related (even though i have low stress feelings). Or just onset of madness.

Understand how you feel, occasionally have dreams/ nightmares that feel so real upon waking you think it’s really happened.

Personally I think it happens far more commonly than you think.

Though I’m not exactly the most stable person.😀

34 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Good day exercise wise, 13’700 steps or a fraction over 7 miles. Just made it home before it started pouring down.

I managed 2k just shopping... but didn't manage to get home before the heaven's opened...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Good day exercise wise, 13’700 steps or a fraction over 7 miles. Just made it home before it started pouring down.

Too windy here , but went to the gym at 09:00 , then swim and steam room afterwards - currently going four times a week 💪

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Good thread here, just read through it.

For gout pain relief I use Voltaren SR 100mg.  One @ 100mg tablet per day takes the pain off me in a couple of hours.  I remember Piroxicam being very good when I had my hip problems, but nothing beat Voltaren.

Colchicine makes me shit like a deranged goose, but otherwise has no effect on me.

About the cherries, at the end of last summer I was having gout attacks and low-level gout pain pretty consistently despite drinking a fair bit of water.  A friend recommended supplements made from "tart cherries", AKA Montmorency cherries, mentioned earlier in this thread IIRC.  After about a month the pain was gone completely and my feet have been downright comfortable.

Here it is on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-120-Tart-Cherry-Gummies/dp/B095KVTDCQ

An article about the health benefits of tart cherries:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-tart-cherry-juice-benefits#TOC_TITLE_HDR_4

The other suppliment I've been taking lately is creatine monohydrate.  Supposedly it increases your level of ready cellular energy, which improves exercise performance, and also has other benefits.  

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/NUTRITION-Micronized-Creatine-Monohydrate-Capsules/dp/B000GIQS0W

Health benefits:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/what-is-creatine

Those who know me may know that I've been back to lifting in the gym since Richard "Pattayaman" (of Wok 'n Rok fame, is he on this board?) ordered me to go with him to the little Tony's on Soi Buakhao about 7 years ago.  Since moving back to the US, I've managed to continue going fairly steadily despite my full time work schedule, usually 3-4 times per week. 

Before Lady R. got here I managed to set lifetime personal bests in several lifts (nothing too extreme, but not bad for an old fart), but I haven't been pushing it since she got here, just working steadily.  The good news is that she goes with me most of the time, and she now looks pretty damn good.  OTOH, while I don't still look like I did in that pic with Lanzalad that I posted a few days ago, I haven't lost the gut, but from the chest up I'm a superstar.  :default_biggrin:

Concerning the other main theme of this thread, I haven't started monitoring my BP, although I probably should.  I suppose that will coincide with me finally going to a doctor for the first time since I got my hips replaced ~10 years ago.  The company insurance is very good, and I promised the missus that I would go both to a doc and to a dentist, the latter I haven't done for a LOT longer than 10 years.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Rompho Ray said:

Good thread here, just read through it.

For gout pain relief I use Voltaren SR 100mg.  One @ 100mg tablet per day takes the pain off me in a couple of hours.  I remember Piroxicam being very good when I had my hip problems, but nothing beat Voltaren.

Colchicine makes me shit like a deranged goose, but otherwise has no effect on me.

About the cherries, at the end of last summer I was having gout attacks and low-level gout pain pretty consistently despite drinking a fair bit of water.  A friend recommended supplements made from "tart cherries", AKA Montmorency cherries, mentioned earlier in this thread IIRC.  After about a month the pain was gone completely and my feet have been downright comfortable.

Here it is on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-120-Tart-Cherry-Gummies/dp/B095KVTDCQ

An article about the health benefits of tart cherries:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-tart-cherry-juice-benefits#TOC_TITLE_HDR_4

The other suppliment I've been taking lately is creatine monohydrate.  Supposedly it increases your level of ready cellular energy, which improves exercise performance, and also has other benefits.  

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/NUTRITION-Micronized-Creatine-Monohydrate-Capsules/dp/B000GIQS0W

Health benefits:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/what-is-creatine

Those who know me may know that I've been back to lifting in the gym since Richard "Pattayaman" (of Wok 'n Rok fame, is he on this board?) ordered me to go with him to the little Tony's on Soi Buakhao about 7 years ago.  Since moving back to the US, I've managed to continue going fairly steadily despite my full time work schedule, usually 3-4 times per week. 

Before Lady R. got here I managed to set lifetime personal bests in several lifts (nothing too extreme, but not bad for an old fart), but I haven't been pushing it since she got here, just working steadily.  The good news is that she goes with me most of the time, and she now looks pretty damn good.  OTOH, while I don't still look like I did in that pic with Lanzalad that I posted a few days ago, I haven't lost the gut, but from the chest up I'm a superstar.  :default_biggrin:

Concerning the other main theme of this thread, I haven't started monitoring my BP, although I probably should.  I suppose that will coincide with me finally going to a doctor for the first time since I got my hips replaced ~10 years ago.  The company insurance is very good, and I promised the missus that I would go both to a doc and to a dentist, the latter I haven't done for a LOT longer than 10 years.

Not seen Richard post here in a long time. Really hope he’s okay as he is a really nice guy.

29 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Not seen Richard post here in a long time. Really hope he’s okay as he is a really nice guy.

Posts on Facebook. Doing well, wife had twins recently. Doing up a recent purchase for tourists to stay in Blackpool. Richard is still Richard as we know and love lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Posts on Facebook. Doing well, wife had twins recently. Doing up a recent purchase for tourists to stay in Blackpool. Richard is still Richard as we know and love lol.

Spent so many nights out with him and such a great guy.

One of the great Rockhouse fellas like Alex,Al,Ray,Phil,etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

We all know its bad for us,and its hard to cut it out totally,not just talking about no sugar in your tea or coffee :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure,_White_and_Deadly

Wouldnt mind a read of this book,read lots of reviews and exerts from it,ive already cut sugar down to practically zero,no more cereals,sweets,tins of juice which are free on here bla bla,,,..i always falter tho every few days,,cant help it here[rig] the bloody baker makes some great cheesecakes.😗,,i know ill falter in thailand,but its good to try sometimes,they tried to ban his book,no wonders.

Edited by Phantom51red
  • Great Info 1