The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

3 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

We all know its bad for us,and its hard to cut it out totally,not just talking about no sugar in your tea or coffee 🙂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure,_White_and_Deadly

Wouldnt mind a read of this book,read lots of reviews and exerts from it,ive already cut sugar down to practically zero,no more cereals,sweets,tins of juice which are free on here bla bla,,,..i always falter tho every few days,,cant help it here[rig] the bloody baker makes some great cheesecakes.😗,,i know ill falter in thailand,but its good to try sometimes,they tried to ban his book,no wonders.

My sugar intake is very low, only have one in a coffee when in a cafe, and at home I only have sweetener in my one coffee of decaf a day.

Get sugar from eating in cafes from cakes etc, but I would say it’s pretty good compared to many people.

Vegan diets really reduce your fat and sugar intake.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, galenkia said:

My sugar intake is very low, only have one in a coffee when in a cafe, and at home I only have sweetener in my one coffee of decaf a day.

Get sugar from eating in cafes from cakes etc, but I would say it’s pretty good compared to many people.

Vegan diets really reduce your fat and sugar intake.

Hav’nt  used sugar now for 20+ years since I was diagnosed as Type II diabetic, don’t miss it at all. Use the odd sweetener in coffee and occasionally get a fix from an ice cream, when the wife runs out when she hears the chimes of the ice cream van passing by. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I stopped putting sugar in tea & coffee & on cereals probably nearly 50 years ago when I was in the RAF.

But I love ice cream and sometimes binge on chocolate if the missus has some in the house and I do have a small amount of honey with my breakfast.

Also of course there's always some sugar in wifeys Thai food.

• Like 4

Vaccines for the world’s most deadly diseases, like cancer and heart disease, will likely be ready by 2030 and could save millions of lives, according to the top doctor at one the world’s leading drug companies.

The announcement is yet another sign of what many are calling “the golden age” of vaccine development, which is largely credited to the pandemic’s use of mRNA technology to create COVID-19 vaccines.

“I think what we have learned in recent months is that if you ever thought that mRNA was just for infectious diseases, or just for COVID, the evidence now is that that’s absolutely not the case,” Moderna Chief Medical Officer Paul Burton, MD, PhD, told The Guardian. “It can be applied to all sorts of disease areas; we are in cancer, infectious disease, cardiovascular disease, autoimmune diseases, rare disease. We have studies in all of those areas, and they have all shown tremendous promise.”

The FDA recently designated two new Moderna vaccines as breakthrough therapies: a shot that prevents respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) in older people, and a shot that helps prevent the recurrence of melanoma, which is a deadly skin cancer. The FDA’s breakthrough designation is given when a new treatment’s early trial results are substantially better than an existing therapy.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/990670

• Great Info 1

On 4/12/2023 at 12:53 PM, Rompho Ray said:

About the cherries, at the end of last summer I was having gout attacks and low-level gout pain pretty consistently despite drinking a fair bit of water.  A friend recommended supplements made from "tart cherries", AKA Montmorency cherries, mentioned earlier in this thread IIRC.  After about a month the pain was gone completely and my feet have been downright comfortable.

Last night for dinner I ate a pretty good-sized portion of chicken (refer to the appropriate thread for a pic, and no I didn't eat the entire dish in the photo), which ordinarily would have my gout at least leaving me a calling card today.  No problem as of now.  :default_good:

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Rompho Ray said:

Last night for dinner I ate a pretty good-sized portion of chicken (refer to the appropriate thread for a pic, and no I didn't eat the entire dish in the photo), which ordinarily would have my gout at least leaving me a calling card today.  No problem as of now.  :default_good:

Gout was one of the reasons behind me going veggie/vegan. Meat and shellfish and dairy set it off.

Also animal cruelty and environmental concerns were part of it.

I’m 100% veggie and about 80% vegan roughly. So far I’ve been fine regarding gout flare up.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Gout was one of the reasons behind me going veggie/vegan. Meat and shellfish and dairy set it off.

Also animal cruelty and environmental concerns were part of it.

I’m 100% veggie and about 80% vegan roughly. So far I’ve been fine regarding gout flare up.

Thats interesting meat can set it off,im surprised to see turkey apparently a super food,[hmm must have been farmers who suggested that it was], on the list of food that can cause gout,your doing well tho,i did without any meat for a 3 week trip offshore once,just a challenge,ate lots of salads and fruit,felt really good after it,but didnt last long once back to thailand,certainly the old saying you are what you eat is true tho,ill sometimes fast out her for about 17/18 hours that feels good aswell,been reading into that and watching online clips and after fasting for over 72 hours your body reaches a state called autophagy,not sure i could go that long if working as need some kinda energy,but i think it would do anyone the world of good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phantom51red said:

Thats interesting meat can set it off,im surprised to see turkey apparently a super food,[hmm must have been farmers who suggested that it was], on the list of food that can cause gout,your doing well tho,i did without any meat for a 3 week trip offshore once,just a challenge,ate lots of salads and fruit,felt really good after it,but didnt last long once back to thailand,certainly the old saying you are what you eat is true tho,ill sometimes fast out her for about 17/18 hours that feels good aswell,been reading into that and watching online clips and after fasting for over 72 hours your body reaches a state called autophagy,not sure i could go that long if working as need some kinda energy,but i think it would do anyone the world of good.

The meat industry in the UK is run by the National Farmers Union. The red tractor symbol that is supposed to show animals are humanely treated and slaughtered?, regulated by the NFU.

The industry basically regulates itself, and the government has basically made inspections of slaughterhouses almost non existent.

Sorry for going off on one but people don’t realize how they are being lied to by the meat industry.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, galenkia said:

The meat industry in the UK is run by the National Farmers Union. The red tractor symbol that is supposed to show animals are humanely treated and slaughtered?, regulated by the NFU.

The industry basically regulates itself, and the government has basically made inspections of slaughterhouses almost non existent.

Sorry for going off on one but people don’t realize how they are being lied to by the meat industry.

Not surprising at all,all those big food production companys especially sugar industry, cereals, processed shite ect ect have been doing the same for years,then when we get sick with all the shite we have consumed over the years another big lying company step in to make us better with their pills $$$,and the wanker goverment and big supermarkets are all part of the chain.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, galenkia said:

Been talking with Sian recently, the lady that works in the addiction center in town. She’s the lady that spent six months counseling me when I needed help with my alcohol addiction.

She is helping me with dealing with my sister’s cancer. She knows me better than anyone and all the trauma I’ve been through in my life.And she knows how fragile and damaged I am regarding my addictions and mental health.

People of the older generations like us were generally not taught to talk about mental health issues,but today it’s a lot more easier to get help.

So if you are struggling with mental health then reach out, there’s great support out there for you.

100% if you can talk about it , then do , I think I'm pretty open , but I find it much easier talking about "stuff" here then in real life ..

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

100% if you can talk about it , then do , I think I'm pretty open , but I find it much easier talking about "stuff" here then in real life ..

I find it easier talking to counselors personally.Especially when it’s over the longer term and they get to understand your needs.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 4/14/2023 at 7:59 AM, Zeb said:

Vaccines for the world’s most deadly diseases, like cancer and heart disease, will likely be ready by 2030 and could save millions of lives, according to the top doctor at one the world’s leading drug companies.

The announcement is yet another sign of what many are calling “the golden age” of vaccine development, which is largely credited to the pandemic’s use of mRNA technology to create COVID-19 vaccines.

“I think what we have learned in recent months is that if you ever thought that mRNA was just for infectious diseases, or just for COVID, the evidence now is that that’s absolutely not the case,” Moderna Chief Medical Officer Paul Burton, MD, PhD, told The Guardian. “It can be applied to all sorts of disease areas; we are in cancer, infectious disease, cardiovascular disease, autoimmune diseases, rare disease. We have studies in all of those areas, and they have all shown tremendous promise.”

The FDA recently designated two new Moderna vaccines as breakthrough therapies: a shot that prevents respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) in older people, and a shot that helps prevent the recurrence of melanoma, which is a deadly skin cancer. The FDA’s breakthrough designation is given when a new treatment’s early trial results are substantially better than an existing therapy.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/990670

For anyone who knows big business and big government have a very broadband of nastiness running through them.....They will be horrified to read this kind of stuff...

On 4/19/2023 at 6:37 AM, fforest said:

For anyone who knows big business and big government have a very broadband of nastiness running through them.....They will be horrified to read this kind of stuff...

Are you horrified about new vaccines including, and post, COVID19, or is it all vaccines such as the ones the majority of us took in our younger days including measles, mumps, diptheria, polio and tetanus. I understand that these days pneumonia, hepatitis and rabies vaccines are available - not tried yet but seem sensible.

For reasons that may include regulatory requirements, testing protocols and R&D budgets vaccines probably have a better safety record than medicinal drugs. Antibiotics being another approach which it isn't clear are being described as horrific or not.

I'm generally ok with properly tested vaccines and antibiotics but concerned about the misuse of medicinal drugs.

Clean water probably trumps all 3 of vaccines, antibiotics and medicinal drugs as a worldwide lifesaver. Medicinal drugs probably the biggest killer/ cause of birth defects.

For cancer, medicinal drugs/ chemotherapy are rather brutal but give hope to many, i support attempts to more directly attack cancers - including by vaccines.

Arrived back in the house Sunday night about 9.30pm, went pretty much straight asleep. 

Working from home was a given the next day, and went to the gym class that night. Monday's a bit easier, and knew had i not i would have fallen asleep at about 6 or 7.

As it was, did the class okay, back for 8pm, bed about 11pm.

Tuesday was circuits, knew that would be the test, near killed me, sweat flying, but i did it, though was fucking hard. 

Doing my usual HIIT and Circuits one after the other tomorrow morning. So glad i went Monday, have got back into it already, helps my health so much mentally and physically.

Also, only put on a couple of kilos, 6 days diving in a row, one of them a 3 dive day, sure helps keep you fit and burns calories. 

Feeling good, delighted the gout meds seem to be working, still eating more veg than i would have before, and happy enough with that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Decided to walk to the pharmacy yesterday, and then further on to grab a bite. Most steps since December 15th. Felt fine, but unfortunately I know it’s the beta-blocker doing the work. Never out of breath, but I’d just like to have my old heartbeat back- not pounding at 150+, but also not so slow while putting in some effort. Weight is steady at 109Kg/240, no matter what I eat

Anyway, whatever I caught(suspect it MUST be Long-COVID) messed me up, but I shouldn’t complain too much because many people can’t get out of bed, much less walk 4 miles. We shall see what the future brings…..

F88F7458-0F26-427C-9461-A14972113FD1.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Decided to walk to the pharmacy yesterday, and then further on to grab a bite. Most steps since December 15th. Felt fine, but unfortunately I know it’s the beta-blocker doing the work. Never out of breath, but I’d just like to have my old heartbeat back- not pounding at 150+, but also not so slow while putting in some effort. Weight is steady at 109Kg/240, no matter what I eat

Anyway, whatever I caught(suspect it MUST be Long-COVID) messed me up, but I shouldn’t complain too much because many people can’t get out of bed, much less walk 4 miles. We shall see what the future brings…..

F88F7458-0F26-427C-9461-A14972113FD1.jpeg

Good you're feeling better mentally and physically, as both are so connected.

Montreal Summer to look forward too, really enjoyed my time there, even in near 2 feet of snow in the Winter :default_biggrin:

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Good you're feeling better mentally and physically, as both are so connected.

Montreal Summer to look forward too, really enjoyed my time there, even in near 2 feet of snow in the Winter :default_biggrin:

Thank you, appreciate it. Actually not looking forward to heat/humidity, been hearing most people with POTS become very intolerant. Some sweat too much, personally I haven’t sweated since maybe October! Yesterday was 18C and breezy, perfect. 

It’s just a bad spot I’m in, because I’m not THAT sick. Truth is, nobody cares, the doctors won’t find the cause, but just want to treat the symptoms. The Zoloft helped, been on a month or so, I can admit I was wrong for delaying it. But whatever I’ve got is nasty, when all your blood tests are great & people see photos saying you look better than ever…if only they knew. Anyway, been 4 months, some people been in bed since 2020, we will see…..