The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

On 5/11/2023 at 7:33 PM, Lemondropkid said:

50% deep sleep, I score a feeble 15%. It's a red letter day if it makes it to 20. Do though as you average out around 7 total hours sleep per night.

Mainly I look for resting heart rate and have become concious just how strongly inversely proportional to my alcohol consumpiton it is.

Been cutting back massively as result for the past 6 weeks. 

I usually don't wear my watch at night, not sure I'm ready to monitor my sex performance - a mere blip i suspect.

But i have now worn my watch for a couple of days and find i sleep about 7 hours, which i guess is good, of that 1.5hrs is deep sleep and 1.5hrs REM. Not sure what i can do with this data. But now i am trying a fitness drive will check for any change.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Zambo said:

Not sure what i can do with this data. But now i am trying a fitness drive will check for any change.

Pretty much same for me, I more look how it changes with cutting booze, and getting back into doing some cardio.

Cataract operations

Has anyone undergone cataract surgery whereby it has been intended to leave one eye long-sighted and the other short-sighted? If so, your thoughts on the outcome, please.

Not sure why they wouldn’t correct them, or at least improve them for you if possible during the surgery.
The lenses they put in to replace the lens they take out don’t fully correct your eye sight, but I believe they can improve your sight a lot if they get it right. 

After going through various tests on my eyes in the outpatient eye department, including measuring me for a replacement lens, I was given a date for one months time for the operation.
I had one eye done (cataract removed) and a correctional lens fitted in the eye which was longsited and went back 4 weeks later for checkups and the Surgeon said your other eye is short sited and needs a partial cataract removed, it could wait a year, but as we are here doing these operations, would you like it done?, of course I said yes and they measured my eye for the lens to be fitted and I was booked to have it done 2 weeks later on a Sunday.

Had it done and fucking fantastic, as I was having difficulty reading anything through the fog of the cataract without strong glasses. 

Now I still need glasses for reading but because there is no clouding in my vision, my lens prescription is much less than before. Optician has also given me a new prescription set of glasses for watching TV, but to be honest I rarely use them, now that cataracts are gone and also I don’t need glasses for driving at all. 

Had my diabetic eye check last week and they took pics of the back of the eye which I was told have improved since last checked 6 months ago and the small amounts of retinopathy I had in both eyes had cleared up, so no need for laser treatment to fix them. 
This was all done in an initiative set up by my County Hospital Ophthalmology Dept to reduce the waiting lists for cataract removal and other visual corrective procedures.
They had brought several surgeons and associated staff in from across the UK for 1 year to do operations and were doing 10 or more each day, 6 days a week. 

Good luck with your ops.

Some info on the different lenses they can put in to correct your vision. Seems that the best results are achieved with those who are short sighted. 

https://www.optometrists.org/general-practice-optometry/guide-to-eye-conditions/guide-to-cataracts/when-should-i-have-cataract-surgery/will-cataract-surgery-give-me-20-20-vision/#:~:text=While many people will obtain,if you qualify for surgery.

Edited by KhunDon

10 hours ago, Bazle said:

Cataract operations

Has anyone undergone cataract surgery whereby it has been intended to leave one eye long-sighted and the other short-sighted? If so, your thoughts on the outcome, please.

I have an acquaintance who had that option. Seems happy enough with the result. At the time their employment required a lot of reading so one eye for reading, the other for a view on life. Mind you they had been short sighted from childhood so it was a chance to ditch the glasses. I always wondered how they got on for depth perception.

I know when I had a cataract in one eye, could tell if it was night or day, not much else. Trying to cross Second Road up near the Avenue at night was a pain. Without any depth perception I couldn't tell if it was a car or 2 motorcycles approaching. Usually waited until someone else was crossing then went at the same time and hoped they weren't as blind as I was.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Surprised 1

13 hours ago, Bazle said:

Cataract operations

Yes, just over a week ago!

I'm still getting used to it, but seems to work OK.  I was used to the effect as I previously had contact lenses like this and had no problems with depth perception which is a common issue.

The difference between now and my contact lenses is there is now a much bigger difference between the eyes which takes a bit of getting used to.  I may try using my "weak" contact lens in my untreated eye to reduce that difference as it still allows me to read close up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bazle said:

Cataract operations

I had it done. Near sighted eye in 2010. Far sighted eye in 2014. Works really well for me. Spend quite a lot of time on the computer with no problems.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rhodie said:

I had it done. Near sighted eye in 2010. Far sighted eye in 2014. Works really well for me. Spend quite a lot of time on the computer with no problems.

That's great info. TVM. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KWA said:

Yes, just over a week ago!

I'm still getting used to it, but seems to work OK.  I was used to the effect as I previously had contact lenses like this and had no problems with depth perception which is a common issue.

The difference between now and my contact lenses is there is now a much bigger difference between the eyes which takes a bit of getting used to.  I may try using my "weak" contact lens in my untreated eye to reduce that difference as it still allows me to read close up.

Many thanks.

If the surgeon goes this route, I have been told that I could still need glasses. 

On 5/20/2023 at 3:12 PM, Lemondropkid said:

Pretty much same for me, I more look how it changes with cutting booze, and getting back into doing some cardio.

What's your cardio? I used to run 5km but injured my knee (age injured my knee) now i am working on strengthening and do a 10min run when i go in the gym and another 10min at the end. Knee holding up so far.... but i do wonder if another injury is inevitable.

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Hope all the guys who sent in their bowel cancer test got good results.

I am good for another 2 years thankfully.

I posted it Monday, still waiting,  it said about 14 days.

I just wanted to tell you guys about a smashing deal on a Juicer...For your health....

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1459474756-s3809736756.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&tradePath=omItm&tradeOrderId=702137198276314&tradeOrderLineId=702137198376314

499 .......Whopping Baht

I just got it today and tried it out...It worked great and is easy to clean...

They say this is 2nd hand but bloody hell it looked absolutely pristine to me...It looked as new as new could be..

This is about  700-800 baht off the retail price...

If you ever wanted a juicer you will never find a cheaper one than this...

20230521_164031.jpg

Edited by fforest
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Zambo said:

What's your cardio? I used to run 5km but injured my knee (age injured my knee) now i am working on strengthening and do a 10min run when i go in the gym and another 10min at the end. Knee holding up so far.... but i do wonder if another injury is inevitable.

Am at week 5 following the couch to 5K program. I tend to do this twice a week rather than the prescribed 3. Strained my knee running twice in 3 days back in July last year, so really taking baby steps.

No issues so far with the knee. Would guess I've lost a little weight this year as the clothes are fitting easier, that will obviously be good news for the knee.

Would like to add in swimming and the rowing machine, but am still doing rehab on a shoulder injury😀 That's going really well.

Am signed up by the NHS physio for a course of gym sessions to ease my shoulder back into further activity.

I'm in my mid 50's and have decided whilst I definitely need the cardio, I've got to dial down the intensity and frequency of sessions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

By post? 

Our post currently isn't the best, can be days of nothing then 3 or 4 on the day it arrives. 

Just posted from my local Premier supermarket, has a small sub post office inside next to the shelf with the loveliest pies. 

38 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Just posted from my local Premier supermarket, has a small sub post office inside next to the shelf with the loveliest pies. 

No, I meant did you get the results by post?

I did a Hep C test at the same time as the Bowel cancer test, just as they were advertising them, got the result by text 2 days later. 

25 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Got the result by post.

Yea, I'm waiting on that, our 3 new European health cards, and my new debit card. I reckon I'll get them all probably same day mid week, judging by current post deliveries.

4 hours ago, Krapow said:

Yea, I'm waiting on that, our 3 new European health cards, and my new debit card. I reckon I'll get them all probably same day mid week, judging by current post deliveries.

Funny you should say that; I have had no post for about a week then I get 4 letters all at once yesterday.

6 hours ago, Krapow said:

No, I meant did you get the results by post?

I did a Hep C test at the same time as the Bowel cancer test, just as they were advertising them, got the result by text 2 days later. 

You ever have a HIV test?.

I never have, with my  needle sharing drug use and barebacking in Thailand I’m basically scared to get the results.

12 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Am at week 5 following the couch to 5K program. I tend to do this twice a week rather than the prescribed 3. Strained my knee running twice in 3 days back in July last year, so really taking baby steps.

No issues so far with the knee. Would guess I've lost a little weight this year as the clothes are fitting easier, that will obviously be good news for the knee.

Would like to add in swimming and the rowing machine, but am still doing rehab on a shoulder injury😀 That's going really well.

Am signed up by the NHS physio for a course of gym sessions to ease my shoulder back into further activity.

I'm in my mid 50's and have decided whilst I definitely need the cardio, I've got to dial down the intensity and frequency of sessions.

Sorry i had seen the couch to 5km posts just forgot it was you.

I've been following the posts as i also want to manage a 5km again. I walk 20min to work nearly every day and have added the 10min runs at the gym. Hopefully this will get me to 5km by August, but i do think my knee might not be up to it.

I also had a shoulder issue but that is pretty good now.