The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

49 minutes ago, galenkia said:

You ever have a HIV test?.

I never have, with my  needle sharing drug use and barebacking in Thailand I’m basically scared to get the results.

Just had mine over a decade after my most dangerous activity…..I had the exact same opinion as you, before the long COVID or whatever happened recently- didn’t want to know. Happy to be negative, but I still don’t have any answers/cures to what’s ailing me

The needle use Allan, I won’t lie……have always heard that is infinitely more dangerous than barebacking. But if you’re what, 54 now and feeling great, I’m sure you’re fine mate

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zambo said:

Hopefully this will get me to 5km by August, but i do think my knee might not be up to it.

It might sound mad but I'd strongly recommend starting the Couch to 5k from scratch, and following it with the proper rest days. It's a 9 week program, you'll be up to 5K in August by the end of it.

The program has a proven record of keeping injuries to a mimimun. It might seem ridiculous start of by running in 30 seconds bursts with a little walking for 5 mins, but from personal experience following it to the letter really does seem to build back up the strength in the legs following an injury.

I've managed a Parkrun (5K) once after a 6 month lay off no training. I asked an old school pal who is very highly qualified Personal Trainer after that Parkrun, what was the best way to get back into running. He told me to do the Couch to 5K from day one.

Thought he was nuts, but he was right.

Aside from back luck, many of my injuries have come from over doing it. I now think, I'm not a pro athelete, I'm not competing,  I'm certainly not young amymore- why take the risk?

So slowly and careful would be my recommendation,

• Like 2

9 hours ago, galenkia said:

You ever have a HIV test?.

I never have, with my  needle sharing drug use and barebacking in Thailand I’m basically scared to get the results.

Aye, more than one.

For near enough any health issue, the sooner it's discovered, the better the outcome.

This is especially true for HIV, and people can and do lead pretty normal lives with it, as long as it's discovered early enough and treatment started.

If you haven't, got get tested mate, you know it makes sense ...

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Aye, more than one.

For near enough any health issue, the sooner it's discovered, the better the outcome.

This is especially true for HIV, and people can and do lead pretty normal lives with it, as long as it's discovered early enough and treatment started.

If you haven't, got get tested mate, you know it makes sense ...

The first time I had an HIV test was way back in 1992 when i was moving from a west africa posting to Libya, i had heard that a blood test would be needed at some stage so decided better outside Libya for the test.

I went to a small town GP, a woman, who asked why i wanted it. I told her i was going to Libya and had heard i needed a blood test before i could get a driving licence. The doctor wasn't that keen but after i had hinted about possible miscalculations in west africa she agreed and said the sample would be sent off the same day and i would have the result in 5 days.

After several sleepless nights on the 7th day i called up and asked when i could get the result. She said i had no need to worry, she had checked with a colleague and there was no need for an HIV test for a Libyan driving licence so had thrown the sample away - great!

Finally booked in to a place in Hull and got a negative result.

• Like 4

I needed one for my last job in Saudi in 1995.

After all the news about promiscuity & HIV I was a bit worried,I'd sown a lot of wild oats throughout the 1980's and had my share of the dreaded drippy dick.

But all was fine.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Just had mine over a decade after my most dangerous activity…..I had the exact same opinion as you, before the long COVID or whatever happened recently- didn’t want to know. Happy to be negative, but I still don’t have any answers/cures to what’s ailing me

The needle use Allan, I won’t lie……have always heard that is infinitely more dangerous than barebacking. But if you’re what, 54 now and feeling great, I’m sure you’re fine mate

I used to visit our Public Health Office after every trip overseas - it was free and didn't take long to do, although the HIV results took weeks to receive; then a few years ago the results started coming back much quicker but they also instituted a program where they grilled you with questions about your sexual activities "for statistical purposes" and I found this to be so invasive and offensive that I stopped going. I haven't been tested now for a few years but have had no obvious symptoms of anything either and have nowhere near as many sexual partners as I used to, however I do intend to get tested again when I return to Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

I used to visit our Public Health Office after every trip overseas - it was free and didn't take long to do, although the HIV results took weeks to receive; then a few years ago the results started coming back much quicker but they also instituted a program where they grilled you with questions about your sexual activities "for statistical purposes" and I found this to be so invasive and offensive that I stopped going. I haven't been tested now for a few years but have had no obvious symptoms of anything either and have nowhere near as many sexual partners as I used to, however I do intend to get tested again when I return to Thailand. 

I was shocked when my internal medicine doc called me 24 hours after my blood was drawn at a different location. I guess technology has improved. The same year 1996, as this shy guy was finally getting busy with the ladies, my friend decided to get a test and it was a swab stuck down his urethra? Ugh, cringe

In 1998 a waitress where I worked told me her doctor didn’t even bother testing for HIV. He asked if she was a hooker, and if she used IV drugs or dated someone who did. No? No need to test darling. Wow

Edited by Golfingboy

7 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

I was shocked when my internal medicine doc called me 24 hours after my blood was drawn at a different location. I guess technology has improved. The same year 1996, as this shy guy was finally getting busy with the ladies, my friend decided to get a test and it was a swab stuck down his urethra? Ugh, cringe

In 1998 a waitress where I worked told me her doctor didn’t even bother testing for HIV. He asked if she was a hooker, and if she used IV drugs or dated someone who did. No? No need to test darling. Wow

Thankfully I only had to endure that procedure once before they moved to less invasive testing - it is indeed an unpleasant feeling. 

11 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

Thankfully I only had to endure that procedure once before they moved to less invasive testing - it is indeed an unpleasant feeling. 

I can only imagine, better yet I prefer not to

Edited by Golfingboy

17 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Yeah, you can catch all sorts of shit like hepatitis etc.

• Great Info 1

Just now, galenkia said:

Yeah, you can catch all sorts of shit like hepatitis etc.

My Ethiopian buddy told me a funny(well not for his mate) story from his time in Vancouver. He was in a shelter and this guy sleeping there used to come in with loads of dosh. He was forging checks when it was still easy. Anyway he’d always blow through the lot very quickly. One day he made the mistake of walking through Hastings, the smack-infested area……

Came back to the shelter nearly naked, the story went. No assault, junkies just cornered him and held up a needle. My friend said “even if you don’t catch HIV, you’re catching something”……they took everything he had

Same area I mentioned on Netflix thread. We were on our way back to the Rockies, and at a red light, we could smell the crack smoke in the air

• Great Info 1

On 5/21/2023 at 6:58 AM, Bazle said:

Many thanks.

If the surgeon goes this route, I have been told that I could still need glasses. 

I had my first "that's not clear" moment last night trying to pick out some detail at a middle distance where neither eye is ideal or dominant.  Not enough to really annoy me, but might try some sort of correction at some point.

• Thanks 1

Was speaking with my counselor Sian today, and she is starting to get really concerned about my mental health from what I’ve been saying to her.

She’s basically worried I’ll self destruct when I lose Jan.

it concerns me as well with my past addiction issues.

At the moment only time will tell what happens.

I think Jan is not as well as she’s trying to make out, it’s more about helping me keep my shit together, she’s trying to be strong for me. She has been an ICU nurse for about 30 years so has the coping skills we don’t have.

I don’t know, I think I will be facing difficult times soon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, galenkia said:

Was speaking with my counselor Sian today, and she is starting to get really concerned about my mental health from what I’ve been saying to her.

She’s basically worried I’ll self destruct when I lose Jan.

it concerns me as well with my past addiction issues.

At the moment only time will tell what happens.

I think Jan is not as well as she’s trying to make out, it’s more about helping me keep my shit together, she’s trying to be strong for me. She has been an ICU nurse for about 30 years so has the coping skills we don’t have.

I don’t know, I think I will be facing difficult times soon.

As people get older they (especially men) become more emotional, it is natural. I know I have. I'm not really sure of the reasons. Perhaps physical, maybe a result of dealing with life's hardships over time, maybe a combination of things.

I used to feel differently when I found myself in tears. I felt as if I had to "get a grip" with myself.

Now tears can come at any time, and it doesn't bother me. In some ways I appreciate them.

Getting to the point of accepting them has helped me over time. Pain will always be there in life. It is part of the balance.

I hope that I don't sound too Buddha like. But there is a lot of truth to recognizing the suffering in life and not always trying to protect yourself from it. Because it will always be with us. There is no getting around that.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

After last night's gastronomic feast ...

3A5BFE02-756D-4D5D-A82B-D9347A5F6131.jpeg

This afternoon I received a text from my Doctor.... my bloods from last week show me as a pre diabetic and they want to talk about my blood pressure as it was too high as well .., ( 140/90 ) 

So that will be the last of that sort of meal for a very long time I think ...

I want to try and avoid going on tablets if possible.... so will be taking my diet and exercise more seriously to really try and shift some kgs ...

.I've already lost some weight since last year , but recently I've just been treading water .. 

so back home tomorrow, and back to the gym , walking , cycling etc and really try and get a grip on my food intake 

• Like 3

For those who've already had Covid...& might be wondering how it manifests longer term.

. . .

These are the 12 most common long COVID symptoms identified in a new study

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/12-common-long-covid-symptoms-found-new-study-18120334.php

Development of a Definition of Postacute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 Infection

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2805540

. . .

The 12 key symptoms identified in the study were:

• Loss of smell or taste

• Post-exertional malaise

• Chronic cough

• Brain fog

• Thirst

• Palpitations

• Chest pain

• Fatigue

• Dizziness

• Gastrointestinal issues

• Issues with sexual desire or capacity

• Abnormal movements, such as tremors, unintended movements, or rigidity

• Great Info 2

Just did a gym session with an NHS physio near me as part of rehab from a shoulder injury.

A type of referral as @Krapow mentioned. Lots of information on one of the notice boards in the gym corridor about mental health referrals as well, that  would I guess come via a doctor.

Was taken through some shoulder specific and generic exercises as part of six week program. Baby stuff starting with 10kg on a chest press machine, and 4kg arms curls!!!

But buzzing to have done it. Xmas and New Year shoulder was in agony and very little movement. 

So reiterating on Krapow's point- free help out there in the UK getting back into exercise if you are prepared to ask/push for it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Just did a gym session with an NHS physio near me as part of rehab from a shoulder injury.

A type of referral as @Krapow mentioned. Lots of information on one of the notice boards in the gym corridor about mental health referrals as well, that  would I guess come via a doctor.

Was taken through some shoulder specific and generic exercises as part of six week program. Baby stuff starting with 10kg on a chest press machine, and 4kg arms curls!!!

But buzzing to have done it. Xmas and New Year shoulder was in agony and very little movement. 

So reiterating on Krapow's point- free help out there in the UK getting back into exercise if you are prepared to ask/push for it.

Yea, as well as the free programmes in the local leisure centres i mentioned previously, i only found out not so long ago our local hospital has quite a good gym to used by the public alongside a referral to the physios, who show you how best to use it according to your injury. You can't just walk in, you need a referral to the physios first. But i was pleasantly surprised by it.

As you say, there's a good lot of help out there for those who want to benefit both mentally and physically from tailor made exercise routines. 

• Thumbs Up 1

When I had dodgy knees during Covid I had a telephone consultation with an NHS physio....he was African and I barely understood a word he said.Then I had a bad back & the GP put me on the waiting list to see a physio.so I went private to one less than 5mins walk from home,as I did with my broken elbow rehab.

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

Been back to the Doctors today as a follow up over my blood pressure and pre diabetes 

Blood pressure has fallen.. 130/80 ( was 140/90 ) so she was happier , I told her what I was doing to lose weight , so she said will look again in six months regarding pre diabetes 

👍

That's good news mate, are you off the booze too?